Garden thread

Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,191 Member
    edited March 2020
    https://youtu.be/Jze8utzpLhg[/url

You have probably tried this but here goes, regrowing veg and herbs from existing plants or store brought ones, I did the young onions,garlic, celery and herbs all worked till a squirrel drug them up to hide his winter nuts lol
    You can find lots of links on you tube but if you click on the picture it should open for you.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    annliz23 wrote: »

You have probably tried this but here goes, regrowing veg and herbs from existing plants or store brought ones, I did the young onions,garlic, celery and herbs all worked till a squirrel drug them up to hide his winter nuts lol
    You can find lots of links on you tube but if you click on the picture it should open for you.

Blasted squirrels! I am putting up netting and chicken wire today because they keep digging up all the beds I have prepped!

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

Thank you!! That's exactly what I was thinking about; hopefully I can try a few and see how it goes. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Blasted squirrels! I am putting up netting and chicken wire today because they keep digging up all the beds I have prepped!

My problem is chipmunks. Last year they dug up and bit into every one of my begonia bulbs as well as my neighbor's tulips. They were so bad I got traps and gave the scavengers in the woods almost 50 appetizers.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Anyone here have a crepe myrtle? We have a small patch of backyard- we planted one here in NY. It’s has no buds or greens whatsoever yet — the maples and other trees do though. Do you prune them? We haven’t done anything to it. We just planted last year. Hope it comes back!

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    My spring flowers and strawberries finally look like they are starting to come up!
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    edited March 2020
    Anyone here have a crepe myrtle? We have a small patch of backyard- we planted one here in NY. It’s has no buds or greens whatsoever yet — the maples and other trees do though. Do you prune them? We haven’t done anything to it. We just planted last year. Hope it comes back!

Hi Safari_Gal... Your crepe myrtle is probably just fine. Don't prune it until after it blooms. It might not need any pruning at all. (Look up "crepe murder" to see how NOT to prune. ) Crepe myrtles leaf out in late spring and bloom in summer. Hope this helps. :)
  • moonangel12
    AnnofB wrote: »

Hi Safari_Gal... Your crepe myrtle is probably just fine. Don't prune it until after it blooms. It might not need any pruning at all. (Look up "crepe murder" to see how NOT to prune. ) Crepe myrtles leaf out in late spring and bloom in summer. Hope this helps. :)
    I didn’t see any sign of life on our neighbor’s crepe myrtle the other day (I was cutting down something else for her) so I agree that it’s probably too early to tell.

• Safari_Gal_

I didn’t see any sign of life on our neighbor’s crepe myrtle the other day (I was cutting down something else for her) so I agree that it’s probably too early to tell.

@AnnofB @moonangel12
    🤗 Thanks y’all! Can’t wait for it to bloom!! I’ll settle for any shrub like life on it. 🌱

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Installing a budget irrigation system in our greenhouse. Heres part #1 feel free to check it out.
    https://youtu.be/UopBxWK-ObY
  • AnnofB
    earlnabby wrote: »

My problem is chipmunks. Last year they dug up and bit into every one of my begonia bulbs as well as my neighbor's tulips. They were so bad I got traps and gave the scavengers in the woods almost 50 appetizers.

Chipmunks! Argghhh. Every day they come onto our deck and rake out the dirt in my flower pots. So aggravating. They have the gall to let me get within 8 feet of them before running away.
  • Safari_Gal_

Chipmunks! Argghhh. Every day they come onto our deck and rake out the dirt in my flower pots. So aggravating. They have the gall to let me get within 8 feet of them before running away.

Our squirrels ate our bulbs!!!! Like they were at a buffet!
  • AnnofB
    @Safari_Gal_ Oh no!! :(

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,473 Member
    I started a bunch of 10-year-old seeds, my Brandywine cherry tomatoes, zebras, and lots of basil are up! Late with the tomatoes but hopefully they're grow fast! My stevia is doing great too, it's supposed to be hard to grow and I have about 10 plants so far.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It can vary a little by area, but here, FWIW, the snowdrops and daffodils are the least bothered by squirrels; the super tiny bulbs (scilla, chionodoxa) not very bothered, and the ones of those that seed around after a few years don't seem bothered at all; rock garden iris OK-ish; and Tommie crocus (C. tommasinianus) less attacked than the Spring/Dutch crocus (C. vernus and some others). The seed-around volunteer Tommies are even more squirrel resistant than the bulbs I plant. Spread-y little suckers, they are - many feet out into the lawn beyond where I ever planted any!

BTW: Any of you flower folks who have part shade, and the right zone (I'm 5b), but don't have any Hellebores, y'oughta get some. Just one woman's opinion, though. :)

4gjy26ql7ghe.jpg

They come in various colors, from near-black (really) to strange purple green-blues, deep magenta, pink, single and double, greens, some double some not. The "petals" are really sepals so persist a long time (weeks) though the color ages; they have nice foliage (this is still a little Winter-ratty; they're semi-evergreen), some with reddish stalks. The one above is kind of boring, color-wise, but very early. It's a hybrid, but gotta be some H. niger in it.

I have been looking at those. I have a space between my a/c and the stoop and have been thinking of what I want to plant there. It is mostly shade because of the a/c. I planted my clematis in the spot because it needs to have its roots shaded but I still want something flowering.cu5ypci7pp83.jpg
  • moonangel12
    Baby lettuce and Swiss chard are up in the garden beds! Yay!!

Planted some blush peas, Christmas Lima beans, tatsoi, broccoli, purple carrots, and multi colored beets, and radishes. I have a seed buying problem :lol: and very few thing I grow would be considered traditional varieties (but all are heirloom) - the funkier the better!

I also ordered a small heat mat and grow light for seed starting... Should be here Thursday. I have some black krim?/Cherokee purple? tomato seeds from 2015 - the plant was from seeds that had been saved for a couple years prior by my dad (hence the unknown type - I think he got the original tomato from a neighbor). The sweetest tomato I had ever had! So I saved some seeds from it, but never had them do much because I never had the time to properly get them started and tend to them (kiddos were younger, plus depression on my end). I have them and a bunch of other stuff in starter pots (a couple types of peppers, sun and moon yellow watermelon, red okra, can’t remember what else). Purple yard long beans are on the list as well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It can vary a little by area, but here, FWIW, the snowdrops and daffodils are the least bothered by squirrels; the super tiny bulbs (scilla, chionodoxa) not very bothered, and the ones of those that seed around after a few years don't seem bothered at all; rock garden iris OK-ish; and Tommie crocus (C. tommasinianus) less attacked than the Spring/Dutch crocus (C. vernus and some others). The seed-around volunteer Tommies are even more squirrel resistant than the bulbs I plant. Spread-y little suckers, they are - many feet out into the lawn beyond where I ever planted any!

BTW: Any of you flower folks who have part shade, and the right zone (I'm 5b), but don't have any Hellebores, y'oughta get some. Just one woman's opinion, though. :)

4gjy26ql7ghe.jpg

They come in various colors, from near-black (really) to strange purple green-blues, deep magenta, pink, single and double, greens, some double some not. The "petals" are really sepals so persist a long time (weeks) though the color ages; they have nice foliage (this is still a little Winter-ratty; they're semi-evergreen), some with reddish stalks. The one above is kind of boring, color-wise, but very early. It's a hybrid, but gotta be some H. niger in it.

I have been looking at those. I have a space between my a/c and the stoop and have been thinking of what I want to plant there. It is mostly shade because of the a/c. I planted my clematis in the spot because it needs to have its roots shaded but I still want something flowering.cu5ypci7pp83.jpg

Try it! They do want a bit of light; mine seem to do best kind of on the edge of a shaded area where they get some sun during the day, either short duration or dappled. Full shade isn't where they thrive, for me. The "Wedding Party Series" has some gorgeous ones to try, and seems to be pretty available, at least around here.
  • moonangel12
    I have a bunch of hellebores (I have always known them as “Lenten rose”) in a back rock bed... it gets quite a bit of dappled sun this time of year (bare but dense tree branches) but will be full shade once the leaves are on the trees. I didn’t know there were so many color options! Definitely wanting more now! They are the first sign of spring, even well before the daffodils. Mine are a fairly dark and muted (but pretty!) purple, they get lost in the shady areas, and will at times blend in with the old leaves, but I still enjoy them :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Ok, time for the dumb questions section so beware. :blush:
    Starting seeds inside, is there a better starter soil than another? Where do you get the seeds; HD or Lowe's, order online, regular stores such as your local grocery store(not even sure if they have them this year). I don't want to pay 'an arm and a leg' but also would like to stay out of stores as much as possible. Also, what about buying tomato, cucumber or pepper plants? It's a bit early here for that(usually we cannot plant until end of May, last expected frost of the season). I might still attempt planting some of those veggies from seed anyways, not sure.
    So, if you can be patient with answering some beginner questions from a brown-thumbed inept person, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)
    My seasonal "crop" Lol has always been hit or miss. Last year I planted tomato plants(1 cherry and 1 regular) in 5 gal. buckets and I think I got 5 tomatoes the whole summer. :/ Year before I planted 2 cherry tomato plants in garden beds and was giving away quarts of them everyday.
    I ask dh what he'd like me to plant; last year it was cucumbers. I got a decent quantity and I think he had 5 slices. I was eating 3-4 cucumbers a day. Now he wants green peppers. Lol
    Anyways.......