WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,960 Member
    I rented two rooms in Pennsylvania once with no stove, just a toaster oven. We tried to bake a cake once and it was a fabulous chocolate gooey mess. Like a lava cake. I also remember hanging yogurt outside the window in the cold. Bad idea- it dumped over and fell two stories down where it drew all the local cats. Student housing is pretty lax.

Annie in Delaware who is going stir crazy!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Annie I'm secretly glad you fed the cats. Here's a cute cat video that I've probably already posted here but…

https://www.facebook.com/Ahzoov/videos/vb.1313460066/10221466396271999/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab
    Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited April 2020
    Yeah ... housing with kitchens like this isn't entirely uncommon around here ... no fridge, of course, and just what you see there for cooking.

That's a little 3-room unit (kitchen, bathroom & living/bedroom) for $280/week.

poqq1ujqhaan.png

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    (((Rori))): I’ve been wondering how you are doing. I’m sorry that things are difficult. Sending good thoughts for your brother. :heart:

DH got an unexpected call from his MS doctor today. It was positive & supportive. I was happy that DH got the call. His MS doctor is also contacting our family doctor. I’m happy the two will be working cooperatively.

I have been happily reading books from my own bookshelf. I’ve read them before but not recently. Luckily I have quite a few books on that shelf. :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited April 2020
    Michele - we have had cards through the door offering help. One was a local church and another was a group they are forming on Facebook for the street we live in. I don't think it would be difficult to find someone to help if you were elderly. Of course, I am elderly, but we don't need help yet! If you need care it is a bigger problem. Care workers are in short supply and do not have the right protective equipment. They are just managing. Our town is so far not too badly affected, but I think it's just a matter of time.

Karen - loved that! I have shared it with friends. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    VIVA LA VIDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTPhHVWclow

Brought to you from Mirko and Valerio
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hello everyone.

I have quite a bit of catching up to do. I have been attempting to limit my online time to the time I normally spend online because I have been spending more time than usual in front of a computer which I never thought was a healthy habit.

Kim – Near the end of last month (wow, it is April!) you mentioned chives. I have had a patch of chives in my garden for over 10 years. It is not doing well right now. We had a terrible dry spell and I was not paying attention to the garden. It seems to be making a comeback now. I have tarragon that is flowering. Are the flowers edible? And, should I pinch the flowers like I would with basil?

Machka – Your new family member seems very comfortable in your home. Thank you for sharing your walk pictures.

Luci – Iris is precious. I typically get my hair highlighted so it is something I have to get done in order to look decent and natural. I actually have been looking forward to my working years to be done and over with so I can go completely natural. I may actually end up going natural sooner than later. I will see how I feel once things start opening up. I may decide to skip the highlights and just get my hair cut shorter than usual. Love the Easter basket! I wish I had one now – I especially need TP!! LOL…..

Michelle – Many are finding it strange that liquor stores are considered essential. If you have ever seen someone detox from being addicted to alcohol you may understand. People die attempting to quit their habit. I imagine the hospital systems do not need the stress of additional beds being used for detox which can take anywhere from three to ten days. So, yes, liquor stores are essential given the situation.

Kylia – Congratulations on the four pound loss! Love your butterflies. If I ever were to get a tattoo which is unlikely at this point in life it would be of a butterfly.

Barbie – Great adjustment to your dance classes. You may get spoiled being able to select the schedule! I agree 100% we need to take one day at a time.

Rita – Love your calendar.

Tere – I find the mental list of to-dos never fully gets done and keeps running through my head like a song. If I write it down it gets done or I decide it’s something that will never get done and it is off the list when a new one is written up. I am really enjoying my workspace and it is actually better than my office space. I may never want to go back to the office!

Rori – I am so sorry about the night/sleep issues with DH. Regarding DB, the more I read about him the more I wonder if he needs to speak with a healthcare professional. It almost seems like he may need a little medical help and given my experience with mom and others many who need medication self-medicate with alcohol. I am not in any way a proponent of medicating but there are many who need it to be balanced.

Flea – There are some wonderful videos posted about how to cut ones hair for your next go at it.

Viv – What a wonderful friend you have! Happy belated birthday to you.

A person’s view of this time – touches a little on religion so it’s in a spoiler.
    While working yesterday I had a talk show on and was half listening to it. One of the guests – note everyone on the show was attending from home – mentioned this time is like Passover – we have to stay in and it will pass over us. It was an interesting observation and I could not have agreed more.

During my last outing I was able to get my hands on yeast. There was no all-purpose or bread flours, only cake flour. I bought the cake flour figuring I could use for cookies too (found a conversion online once I got home and sanitized everything including myself). I want to attempt to make bread, but everything I am reading states cake flour will work, but the bread texture will not be typical. I will continue to search for a decent bread recipe. Note – I have never made bread but figured I have a lot of time now so why not?

Well, it is off to start my commute project for the day and then get ready and start my work day. I hope this post finds all in good spirits. When we place our heads on our pillows it will mark us being one day closer to normalcy.

Hugs and prayers to all.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Good Thursday!
    Viv Happy birthday!

SuziQ- If I ever got a tattoo it would also be a butterfly! My mom and youngest daughter have lots. My oldest daughter got one as soon as she turned 18. She was in college. My husband is totally against them. He said "I have never heard a guy say, that girl is hot , but would be hotter with a tattoo!" I have a picture of a 3d one on my phone that I want on my shoulder. I will keep thinking.

Husband helped me with puzzle last night! We made great progress. He was using his 20x magnifier and is slow due to vision limitations, but it was relaxing and nice! The added bonus is he smoked less since was inside and not in man cave.

Rori we are all supporting you! I hope you are feeling our hugs, love, and helping thoughts. I imagine your plate is so full right now. I know your DH can't comprehend this new way of life either. HUGS!

I love the idea of "getting dressed" every day even if you are at home, I would need to. I can't run around naked all day! Lol!

Love you ladies! Paperwork to do before work.
    😍
    Kylia in Ohio
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited April 2020
    Heather: I am dreading anybody wanting to Skype with me! My hair is a big mess! DH called his barber last night and asked him what he (the barber) was going to do about cutting his hair. They both had a great laugh as nobody knows when the barber will be open again or when our restrictions will be over. :D

Tere in RVA

Tere - I'm on camera most days in one meeting or another, and have already mentioned to people that I work with that I've actually seen more of my co-workers in the two weeks since they were sent home than I have since I began the job 16 months ago. And honestly, a more raggedy bunch you've never seen. There are 3 men out of 60, and they look the same as they always did - but the women have totally stopped wearing makeup, and look like cats dragged backward through a keyhole - hair all askew, etc. The good part is, I don't worry too much about how I look! :blush:

Rori - I think of you every day, and your brother, and the beloved stranger your DH has become. Reach out if you need a voice...

And speaking of voices, I am shouting now to make myself heard through the pandemic and say "Girl Scouts still need your support," to organizations that are trying to get money out there to feed people, shelter them, clothe them. Much like trying to sell well water to someone who's drowning. That said I'm tremendously grateful to still have work. Millions have been laid off, and as usual, those who are laid off are the ones who have little or no money saved, as they're just trying to survive. They have overloaded a system never designed to handle that kind of rush.

Small businesses, including independent contractors, etc., can gain a loan that will be forgiven at end of year if they keep people employed or bring laidoff workers back to work no later than June 30(Kylia, you came to mind) Link for kids, grandkids, etc. to give them something to do.
    For those looking for something different for kids/grandkids/great grandkids to do at home, our team has put together an amazing set of resources for online fun for kids: https://www.girlscoutsdiamonds.org/en/about-girl-scouts/covid-19-updates-and-advisories.html, and check out the resources under Girl Scout Social Media Challenge. Not just for girls, and not just for Girl Scouts, there are tons of resources there to keep the young ones intrigued (and out of trouble).

Love y'all...
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member

• KetoneKaren
    Heather YAY! So fun, those pictures. Sparks the imagination, doesn't it? Could provide a lot of real fun for awhile. It would be fun if a group of people all did the same painting, similar to a virtual 'Paint and Sip'. :)

>>>

Lisa Thanks for that link for stuff for the kids to do! I am passing it along to my grandchildren here & in California.

>>>

Michele What SuziQ said about the liquor stores is spot on. Just think of them as methadone clinics and you get the idea. Some people going through alcohol withdrawal can lead to DTs, which have to be treated in a medical facility. Others may get so desperate they drink things like rubbing alcohol and deadly methanol-containing antifreeze, etc. Best to leave the liquor stores open.

>>>

One has to get spiffed up a bit to do telemedicine/telehealth. No frowziness.

>>>

Grateful for today: adult children who make it possible for me to see pictures and videos of my grandchildren.

Here is my Savor for the day. The video is 10 minutes, but the singing part is just the first two minutes, so don't be put off by the length of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w610kg70qzQ

Onward.
    Karen in Virginia

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited April 2020
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: went to town (recycling, bank, post office, farmers’ market, Barb’s, grocery outlet, Freddie’s, Chinese takeout), finished typing hymn verses for Sunday.
    Bonus:
    Get to do:, invest 10 mins cleaning Dining rm, carry over Guest Bth, Living Rm, Kitchen/Laundry, Office + Bedrooms, then finish Aunt Elsie’s stove and test light oven, bake cookies for Joe, call Carolyn, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.
    Coping Calendar Day 12: immerse yourself in a new…:
    Bought a paperback mystery at Freddie’s. Might be a series to read when the library re-opens

March vs February –
    fell back on every one but vitamins.
    daily: steps= 35%/41%, vits= 90%/84% log=100%/100% CI<CO= 61%/83% CI<250<CO= 32%48% Tumble 5/10= 45%/55% mfp=100%/100% AF= 52%/61% outside= 39%/65%
    wkly: BBBorTC x3=82%/100%, dance x2=44%/100% pack walk x2=25%/56%, rx=75%/100% review progress on 20 for 20: no progress. mnthly: board mtg=100%/100% grant= no new research

April strategy-better than March, get BB&B, line dance and dog training back on schedule even though at home. Pack walks on hiatus.
    Daily: log , weigh, vits, CI<CO, CI <250 CO, 5 mins training Tumble and Shadow, check in mfp, 10 mins outside, 10 mins cleaning.
    Weekly: rx, review progress on 20 for 20, 2 hrs dancing, 3 days Better Bones & Balance.
    Monthly: firehouse board meeting, grant work.
    Bonus: AF, average steps > 5344 (Oct average), walk up hill, sew something, play something.

Made my big foray into town, the first in a week. Saw a few with masks, some with gloves, only food workers with both. Frozen vegetable shelves empty, fresh vegetable shelves groaningly full. No tp or rubbing alcohol, cases of hydrogen peroxide on special. Most observing social distancing, especially in line where marked (post office, both grocery stores).

Karen in VA a little chilling to have your papers in order… the recreated art, my faves were the nude and the Dali.
    Machka :love: the wildlife returning to Inverness…
    Kylia in addition to your observations, fewer men than women “get” social distancing, imho.
    Lanette ditto about living on a private road in the country, and supporting local farmers’ markets. One of our local farm vendors was absent today, two others are bravely, fiercely hanging on and pathetically grateful for whatever buying I did. These are the people that keep us alive when the highway washes out and they deserve our support.
    On the downside of living in the woods, someone posted to NextDoor that a large cougar took their Jack Russell mix last night. Less than 2 miles up the hill from us as the cat prowls. Joe will take precautions when he goes out with the dogs.
    Barbie “…only the dances I like” :lol: Have your students begged you yet to host classes via Zoom, FreeConferenceCall or FB? When you do, let us know so we can join in!
    Welcome @dawnwog3078!
    LuciB easter basket :laugh:
    Michele could you FaceTime or Skype to see PJ? 7 months is such a long time. :cry: April Fool’s day cake. :laugh:
    SuziQ That meow mix meme! :lol:
    Evelyn intrigued by your embroidering GSd birth announcement. Pic please?
    Kay con VERY grats on the 4 lbs.
    Rita awesome percentages, beautiful turtle!
    Rebecca you are doing SO well with your OMAD plan. Brava.
    Amber Thank U for the Chris Mann video. SMH at the Cumming GA mayor.
    Katla touched by your DH’s doctor. :heart:
    Sue in WA Brava for hosting that traveling nurse. Beautiful weeping cherry pic.
    Rori :cry: ((hugs)) prayers for you and yours continue.
    Heather ‘Of course, I am elderly, but we don't need help yet!’ Ah yes, elderly. The guidelines here are that since I am over 60 (by a decade) I am by definition “at risk”. Until that got hammered into me from many sources, I just didn’t feel that fragile. Now I’m becoming aware how sad I feel and how I miss my human contacts, and that makes me realize that at least mentally I do qualify as at risk. Fooey.
    Karen in VA after that gloomy post, Mirko y Valerio lifted my spirits. Grazie!
    Viv loved the story about your friend’s visit. I dropped off some $$ I owed a friend and she told me about her neighbor and how they used to garden, each in her own yard, shouting their comments across the street.
    Lisa went to the website but no near councils came up for our zip code 97415?

Really missing the hugs given to and gotten from the huggy gals at T’ai Chi and church. Thankful to be able to hug Joe and the pooches.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    March: better than February.
    daily: steps=5202 vits=1 log=1 CI<CO=1 CI<250<CO=1 Tumble & Shadow 5=0 mfp=1 clean 10 mins=0 outside=0 up hill=0
    wkly: BB&B x3=0 rx=0 dance=0
    mnthly: board mtg=0 grant=0 review 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=1 play=0 sew=0
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    March's Exercise ...

x7801lzmfvw1.png
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking + a bit of rowing)
    Mar-15 … 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    Apr-15 … 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May-15 … 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    Jun-15 … 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-15 … 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug-15 … 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep-15 … 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct-15 … 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov-15 … 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec-15 … 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan-16 … 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb-16 … 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    Mar-16 … 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    Apr-16 … 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May-16 … 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    Jun-16 … 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    Jul-16 … 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug-16 … 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep-16 … 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct-16 … 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov-16 … 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec-16 … 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan-17 … 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb-17 … 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar-17 … 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr-17 … 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May-17 … 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    Jun-17 … 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-17 … 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    Aug-17 … 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min
    Sep-17 … 455.5 km (283 miles) = 41 hours 25 min
    Oct-17 … 647.1 km (402.1 miles) = 57 hours 19 min
    Nov-17 … 427.0 km (265.3 miles) = 50 hours 4 min
    Dec-17 … 553.5 km (343.9 miles) = 52 hours 12 min
    Jan-18 … 590.2 km (366.7 miles) = 57 hours 49 min
    Feb-18 … 826.9 km (513.8 miles) = 57 hours 35 min
    Mar-18 … 582.01 km (361.6 miles) = 50 hours 11 min
    Apr-18 … 176.23 km (109.5 miles) = 29 hours 47 min
    May -18 … 167.6 km (104.1 miles) = 29 hours 08 min
    June-18 … 349.9 km (217.4 miles) = 36 hours 58 minutes
    July-18 ... 324.2 km (201.5 miles) = 24 hours 26 minutes
    Aug-18 ... 210.1 km (130.6 miles) = 25 hours 59 minutes
    Sep-18 ... 261.7 km (162.6 miles) = 25 hours 11 minutes
    Oct-18 ... 230.8 km (143.4 miles) = 30 hours 15 minutes
    Nov-18 ... 216.8 km (134.7 miles) = 30 hours 3 minutes
    Dec-18 ... 285.2 km (177.2 miles) = 37 hours 49 minutes
    Jan-19 ... 241.6 km (150.1 miles) = 27 hours 2 minutes
    Feb-19 ... 175.5 km (109 miles) = 19 hours 8 minutes
    Mar-19 ... 170.3 km (105.8 miles) = 28 hours 21 minutes
    Apr-19 ... 160.3 km (99.6 miles) = 25 hours 4 minutes
    May-19 ... 164.0 km (101.9 miles) = 29 hours 10 minutes
    Jun-19 ... 246.2 km (153 miles) = 25 hours 40 minutes
    Jul-19 ... 217.3 km (135.0 miles) = 33 hours 45 minutes
    Aug-19 ... 162.5 km (100.9 miles) = 28 hours 4 minutes
    Sep-19 ... 136.0 km (84.5 miles) = 23 hours 10 minutes
    Oct-19 ... 196.5 km (122.1 miles) = 31 hours 27 minutes
    Nov-19 ... 155.5 km (96.6 miles) = 25 hours 01 minutes
    Dec-19 ... 203.7 km (126.6 miles) = 26 hours 54 minutes
    Jan-20 ... 304.4 km (189.2 miles) = 32 hours 49 minutes
    Feb-20 ... 248.6 km (154.5 miles) = 34 hours 50 minutes

Mar-19 ... 170.3 km (105.8 miles) = 28 hours 21 minutes = 28 hours 21 minutes is the number to beat!

Sunday, 1 March 2020 … 5.1 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 1.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 2 March 2020 … 3.4 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 26 flights of stairs + 60 min "Run Strong" class.
    Tuesday, 3 March 2020 … 2.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 27 flights of stairs + Pilates
    Wednesday, 4 March 2020 … 7.6 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 18 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 5 March 2020 … 1.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 15 flights of stairs
    Friday, 6 March 2020 … 2.7 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 7 March 2020 … 2.5 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

Sunday, 8 March 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 13.9 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 9 March 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Tuesday, 10 March 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 15 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 11 March 2020 … 5.9 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 37 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 12 March 2020 … 3.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 32 flights of stairs
    Friday, 13 March 2020 … 1.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 31 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 14 March 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 18.4 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

Sunday, 15 March 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 16.7 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 16 March 2020 … 3.9 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 17 flights of stairs + 60 min "Run Strong" class.
    Tuesday, 17 March 2020 … 1.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 32 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 18 March 2020 … 6.6 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 27 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 19 March 2020 … 4.7 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 44 flights of stairs
    Friday, 20 March 2020 … 1.6 km walking + 14.3 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 21 March 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

Sunday, 22 March 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 23 March 2020 … 3.4 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 15 flights of stairs
    60 min "Run Strong" class.
    Tuesday, 24 March 2020 … 4.6 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 36 flights of stairs
    Tuesday, 24 March 2020 … 4.6 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 36 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 25 March 2020 … 1.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 32 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 26 March 2020 … 4.1 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 30 flights of stairs
    Friday, 27 March 2020 … 1.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 30 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 28 March 2020 … 2.9 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

Sunday, 29 March 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 30 March 2020 … 6.2 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Tuesday, 31 March 2020 … 3.4 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

2020 Monthly March
    Walking Distance (km): 84.0
    Walking Time (min): 1021.6
    Cycling Distance (km): 63.3
    Cycling Time (min): 203.1
    Flights Stairs Climbed Number: 464.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Time (min): 371.2
    Rowing Distance (km): 1.0
    Rowing Time (min): 6.0
    Other Distance: 0.0
    Other Time: 210.0

Totals