WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Flea – There are some wonderful videos posted about how to cut ones hair for your next go at it.

SuziQ – SFL

Oh, yes. I did watch a few of those. The boys' hair actually turned out pretty well. But still . . . not perfect. :neutral:

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    Hello Peeps! <3

Barbie - your post touched me. I feel much the same as you. We are at peace with everything happening right now, we have done the best we can to weather this, come what may. We are blessed beyond expectation. o:)

Barbara - your comment about your local farm vendors made me realize why I like our farmer's markets so much. It's not just the produce - I always look forward to socializing a little with the vendors if they have time and usually run into people I haven't seen for a while. Hopefully it will continue this summer, we can do do some social distancing and still gab in the parking lot!

Rebecca - your meal looked yummy!! So glad OMAD is working for you! These days I'm doing the best I can to maintain 12:12, some days are easier than others. Can still fit in my favorite pants which is a victory.

Regarding hugs - I've been reminiscing about some of the best hugs of my life. Many of the folks aren't around anymore (parents, grandparents) or live far away. It's been rewarding revisiting those memories and feelings. And there's DH and the dogs of course.

Regarding haircuts - I've been blessed/cursed with naturally curly hair and 3 or 4 cowlicks, lol. I was always re-cutting it when I'd get home from the salon. I finally decided to just do it myself, having watched the professionals for years and taking note of the good ones. DH runs the clippers over his head and trims his own beard/mustache once a month, has done so for years.

Regarding senior shopping hours - After my experience a few weeks ago at our local Safeway when senior shopping hours meant packed parking lot and packed store with the most vulnerable jammed together like the day before Thanksgiving, I called our Grocery Outlet to inquire if they had "senior shopping". So I could avoid the store during that time. B) The gal at the store said they decided against it for the reason I mentioned (no ability to social distance) and recommended coming between 9 and 10 when there were few people in the store if I had concerns.

Regarding others offering to shop for us - being elderly :D Heather and Katla - yep, we aren't elderly. 90+ and/or disabled are elderly in my book as well. We have lots of young people offering to shop for us - I've told them we are OK, if quarantined for some reason then we'll take them up on it. Will make my quick trip to town tomorrow morning before most of the population wakes up.

Make it a great day, dear ones. Get some fresh air if you can. <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    <3
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited April 2020
    Sarah - That’s why they need to stop mortgages,electric,gas,y water bills so you y me as renters don’t have those costs either! The food ration tickets would be for food to tp for us .Right now my hubby can’t find regular work our tenants either they cannot pay us we have a mortgage they are good tenants who normally would pay on time even in advance. When this is over we don’t want them or us to be in debt cause we both wouldn’t be able to pay 💰 the penalties,interest,or missed payments! Can’t be just 1 of what I listed it needs to be ALL that I listed so no one gets screwed. We’re going without our meds tenants can’t pay y works dried up so if temporary debt forgiveness with ration cards was implemented with zero bank penalties or reposition we’d be in a better boat than we are now. It’s actually been done in the pasta to save the economy y people during pandemics of the past in some countries. Amber Tx

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    )()()()()(
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,439 Member
    Hello Peeps! <3

Barbie - your post touched me. I feel much the same as you. We are at peace with everything happening right now, we have done the best we can to weather this, come what may. We are blessed beyond expectation. o:)

Barbara - your comment about your local farm vendors made me realize why I like our farmer's markets so much. It's not just the produce - I always look forward to socializing a little with the vendors if they have time and usually run into people I haven't seen for a while. Hopefully it will continue this summer, we can do do some social distancing and still gab in the parking lot!

Rebecca - your meal looked yummy!! So glad OMAD is working for you! These days I'm doing the best I can to maintain 12:12, some days are easier than others. Can still fit in my favorite pants which is a victory.

Regarding hugs - I've been reminiscing about some of the best hugs of my life. Many of the folks aren't around anymore (parents, grandparents) or live far away. It's been rewarding revisiting those memories and feelings. And there's DH and the dogs of course.

Regarding haircuts - I've been blessed/cursed with naturally curly hair and 3 or 4 cowlicks, lol. I was always re-cutting it when I'd get home from the salon. I finally decided to just do it myself, having watched the professionals for years and taking note of the good ones. DH runs the clippers over his head and trims his own beard/mustache once a month, has done so for years.

Regarding senior shopping hours - After my experience a few weeks ago at our local Safeway when senior shopping hours meant packed parking lot and packed store with the most vulnerable jammed together like the day before Thanksgiving, I called our Grocery Outlet to inquire if they had "senior shopping". So I could avoid the store during that time. B) The gal at the store said they decided against it for the reason I mentioned (no ability to social distance) and recommended coming between 9 and 10 when there were few people in the store if I had concerns.

Regarding others offering to shop for us - being elderly :D Heather and Katla - yep, we aren't elderly. 90+ and/or disabled are elderly in my book as well. We have lots of young people offering to shop for us - I've told them we are OK, if quarantined for some reason then we'll take them up on it. Will make my quick trip to town tomorrow morning before most of the population wakes up.

Make it a great day, dear ones. Get some fresh air if you can. <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

Thanks Lanette, it is still crazy to me to eat that, some cashews and a dessert, yet still be doing good. Still struggling with deleting some mindsets that in order to lose weight you have to eat. Well eat good food that is. I am currently 229 lbs. Being that I was 245 when we moved to the island, I am pleased with my progress. I notice though many Facebook posts of people that lost 40 lbs and their whole body transformed. So its not really about a number on the scale. The connection ie: relationship with my scale is changing.

Regarding shopping times for the elderly. Our commissary has Tue, Wed, and Thu for us to go 9-10 am. Each person gets a cart. A way to distance everyone. I just drove my cart around empty. Plus there was a 50 person limit so they must keep track of how many people are in at any given time by that. We have baggers, and they drive their own upright carts that hold your bags. Then they had a lady taking your empty cart after you put your items on the belt. Its mandatory to tip the baggers. Husband gets $1 coins from the car wash place so we have a pile of them in the car to pay them $1. Some pay $5 I'm told, but that's just nuts. If they wish more money then maybe they should get a job that pays.
    💖Rebecca
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    i had a GF frozen pizza for dinner 650 calories. usually i just have a half.

i've been less into sugar and more into starch these days.

i have usual breakfast (protein mix+buckwheat, soy yogurt and milk, seeds and 1tsp naturally sweenened jam (100% fruit), lunch often tofu and steamed veggies. never very big into cabbage but i find it lasts great and goes a long way without having to go shopping. i usually like raw veggies but am more into warm food. it's cold-ish out but also not moving makes me crave warmth more somehow (slower metabolism) and there's more comfort and it's probably safer. surely not all veggie pickers, packers, transporters, stockers have gloves and masks. i know they don't have masks.

i tend to have a glass of wine or GF beer about 3 x a week probably more than average for entertainment, but really it doesn't entertain me. GF beer gives me a scratchy throat and so many banal symptoms are frightening now. i wanted to buy just one for a change but they only had tiny six packs (25cl per bottle);
    no dairy at all for me. it gives me the sniffles and sneezes sometimes especially in pollen season. any cough is frightening slightly for me, but more so for people i pass in the street even if i use a mask...

great afternoon class : ) but a bit weighed down by pizza. : (

now it's 8pm and (not late here) i'm gonna tuck in...

be well!
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    i'm having computer and phone probs. i ordered a new iphone 7 early in quarantine but it's not coming, i don't think it will come at all. i have 2 old computers and both have problems. i'm afraid neither will hold out. i had bought a really cheap new one but it really stinks. it's like worth nothing. now i wanted to bite the bullet and swing for a new macbook pro entry model but all apple stores are closed; i want to get education discount but i'm not sure if i can reach anyone...and if the stores will really be shipping or if they will just be pocketing my money since they are closed all over the world.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    I had problems with dropped calls when talked to brother on Saturday. I go out an old Trac phone that had minutes on it and no dropped calls.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    i'm having computer and phone probs. i ordered a new iphone 7 early in quarantine but it's not coming, i don't think it will come at all. i have 2 old computers and both have problems. i'm afraid neither will hold out. i had bought a really cheap new one but it really stinks. it's like worth nothing. now i wanted to bite the bullet and swing for a new macbook pro entry model but all apple stores are closed; i want to get education discount but i'm not sure if i can reach anyone...and if the stores will really be shipping or if they will just be pocketing my money since they are closed all over the world.

You may be able to order via Apple direct. :) I am not sure if you would be able to get the educator's discount online, but may be worth a try!
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    @bananasandoranges

Florida is finally fully under a shelter in place order. We can go out for essentials and exercise. We have no time limit on the time and/or number of times we can go out. Some cities and counties in Florida have curfews. One can walk their pet during the curfew hours but must remain within 1,200 feet of their home. But, everyone during "essential" outings can go anywhere. There is no distance limitation.

They are asking for us not to gather with anyone except those you live with or are taking care of but there is no tracking and/or permission needed.

So most of us are sheltering in place and hoping the rest come to their senses.