Former Athlete Thread for Friends and Encouragement

Hey all you former athletes. Pro or amateur.

Let’s start a thread to encourage each other and make more friends.

Replies

• cougargirl1025
    cougargirl1025 Posts: 80 Member
    I'm a big has been.
  • Bucatina
    Bucatina Posts: 9 Member
    I'm a big has been.

Same here. I want to compete again and in new sports. The only way for me is to lose 80 pounds and gain a ton of muscle.

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Spent all of my teens as an athlete
    I then took up my sport again as an adult. It's hard getting back but you can and i did. However I never had to deal with injuries as a kid but had to have a shoulder repaired last year but because of my athletic background recovery was very easy.

I have event taken up a new sport ad an adult. It's fun to keep active
  • Bucatina
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I then took up my sport again as an adult. It's hard getting back but you can and i did.

How did you do it? Any tips?
  • AliNouveau
    Bucatina wrote: »
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I then took up my sport again as an adult. It's hard getting back but you can and i did.

How did you do it? Any tips?

Determination haha

I am a figure skater. I agreed to compete at a fairly high level adult competition with a friend, I ice danced so you need a partner and I agreed to skate with a friend. The danced we'd be doing I did when I competed at Nationals as a kid so I knew it would be a challenge. I just buckled down with my diet and worked out a lot. The training also helped. Once you get in they groove it's like your body, well mine, is like this is what we are used to and enjoy and therefore responds favourably. A few old coaches said they thought I had actually improved with this comeback than before.

The new sport is curling....all ice sports. It's fun learning and challenging my body. This is what I've done my entire life
  • Bucatina
    Awesome! Thanks for the tips. I’m hoping the time I have to dedicate to working out now ends in good results!
  • AliNouveau
    We all have lots of time these days eh

I always have to have a goal. So when I have that event looming my brain kicks in and gets it haha.
  • ecrispi
    ecrispi Posts: 25 Member
    Ah the good old days