Coronavirus prep

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Sigh

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/04/mlm-sellers-asking-for-donations-for-health-workers-marketing-ploy.html

Some MLMs are soliciting money from consumers so sellers can donate products to healthcare workers.

Because everyone risking their life in the front lines would rather have cosmetics and candles instead of a mask 😡
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Prompted by hearing a retired nurse this afternoon talking about our UK experience particularly the use of ppe. She was saying even the correct wearing of masks should be explained to a person at the point of sale. It seems there is a correct way to do it, over the nose and mouth but not under the chin from what she was saying, also one should not touch the mask in use either. Then following the thought of full ppe for those in community care they need full training in the dressing, wearing and removing the articles. (BBC radio 4, 2-00pm UK time, Any Answers the companion programme to Any Questions broadcast Friday evening and again Saturday before AA )
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Every day at 7pm EST... there is cheering out of the windows across NYC for the essential workers. It's touching and chokes me up. <3
    I love that!!

WTH is up with your disagree-er?? Does someone have too much time on their hands or very irritated with the way of things now?? Go find something NICE to do. :/
    And as far as the total number of disagree-ers through-out this whole thread, go have a damn cookie. Or something.

Folks have nothing better to do...stuck inside and all. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

And it could be an accident.

Possibly... it doesn't matter to me either way. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yeah, agreed.
  • lemurcat2
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Back on topic... The US federal government now recommends face coverings when going outside. Quite the change.

Worries me a little bit. I'm still seeing way too many people just going about things as if they are on summer vacation...especially things like going to Walmart or Target just to get out of the house and browse. I'm hoping that this mask thing doesn't give more people a sense that it is ok to just be out an about because they have a mask on. I've already had a few people from work comment to me that if we have masks, we should just go back to work.

I guess it's different elsewhere. Here, people are wearing masks and still observing social distance. Some folks have to learn things the hard way sadly.

ETA- They specifically say that the masks are not meant to be a replacement for social distancing. Just in addition to. If people ignore that, it has nothing to do with masks. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yeah, that's the message we are getting (and that it's better to just stay at home if possible), and it is mostly what I see. I suspect that people some places feel a lot more immune to what could happen/is already happening than people in big cities.
  • lemurcat2
    Back on topic... The US federal government now recommends face coverings when going outside. Quite the change.

Worries me a little bit. I'm still seeing way too many people just going about things as if they are on summer vacation...especially things like going to Walmart or Target just to get out of the house and browse. I'm hoping that this mask thing doesn't give more people a sense that it is ok to just be out an about because they have a mask on. I've already had a few people from work comment to me that if we have masks, we should just go back to work.

I guess it's different elsewhere. Here, people are wearing masks and still observing social distance. Some folks have to learn things the hard way sadly.

ETA- They specifically say that the masks are not meant to be a replacement for social distancing. Just in addition to. If people ignore that, it has nothing to do with masks. 🤷🏼‍♀️

It's only been a thing here for a few weeks and there were a lot of people that thought the governors response was over the top when we only had 3 cases...I thought it was very good and proactive but we've quickly gotten close to 600 now. Still, we are a very rural state and there are just a whole lot of people who think this is "city folk problems".

I'm interested to see how things play out in the rest of the country. I wonder how many states are going to take what happened here in NYC and learn and how many are just going to write it off as a "NY or city problem".

I mean just recently, the governor of GA didn't know that the virus could be spread by asymptomatic people.

We got the stay at home order on the 20th (although too many people were continuing to act stupidly at the beginning of it), and our gov and mayor have taken it seriously from early on, but it may have already been too late, and certainly by the time we saw NYC as an example it was pretty much progressing here. I hope we have managed to flatten the curve somewhat anyway.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

Yeah, that's the message we are getting (and that it's better to just stay at home if possible), and it is mostly what I see. I suspect that people some places feel a lot more immune to what could happen/is already happening than people in big cities.

This seems to be the attitude of many outside the metro area of Albuquerque. Fortunately, we have a very proactive governor who shut things down pretty early. I think attitudes are starting to change elsewhere around the state though...especially after yesterday. She had a good graphic at her press conference yesterday showing that our per capita curve is flatter than pretty much anywhere and a good illustration that the measures taken seem to be working. I think it also took people by surprise that Taos County has the highest per capita infections in the state rather than the Albuquerque/Rio Rancho metro area. There was definitely less flack in the comments section of her Facebook page.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I was thinking of holding out one more week, when I'll probably be getting low on dairy too, and then go to see what I can find. I'd been thinking about getting ham of some kind for my home-alone Easter, but from some of the posts on here, it sounds like I might be overly optimistic. Maybe I'll find some canned or frozen pineapple and I can open a can of Spam (spiced ham in a can) and see what I can make out of it.

It really depends where you live. Early on here we were low on paper products and pasta or other dried goods in some places, and dairy in others, but never in meat. And for us things are largely back to normal in the stores now (based on my one trip plus reports on NextDoor).

This is the downside of not going to the grocery store until I really have to -- I don't have a good idea of local grocery conditions (they only reported about that on the local news in the early days; now they have so much more to talk about with new cases, deaths, masks or no masks, ventilators, what's happening in hospitals, navy ships, etc.). However, I've always been very flexible about buying what's on sale or what looks good this week, so I expect I'll be reasonably flexible about buying what happens to be available.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    One more slightly off topic comment about masks. I have seen a couple photos of rows of covid-19 patients lying in beds or on cots all masked up, and I see that people are advised to keep masks on anyone in their home with covid-19 if possible, all to protect their caregivers. It makes sense for the nurses and caregivers, but what about the patients? This headache I got from trying to wear a mask lingered, till I finally went outside just now and spent some time breathing in fresh air. I'm now viewing masks as heinous :neutral:. I wonder whether those photos were staged. Maybe there are situations I can't conceive of, but giving a patient a mask instead of oxygen seems like more harm than good. As to potential home caregivers, to me it makes far more sense to open a window and stay out of the room than to mask your loved one.
  • lemurcat2
    I was thinking of holding out one more week, when I'll probably be getting low on dairy too, and then go to see what I can find. I'd been thinking about getting ham of some kind for my home-alone Easter, but from some of the posts on here, it sounds like I might be overly optimistic. Maybe I'll find some canned or frozen pineapple and I can open a can of Spam (spiced ham in a can) and see what I can make out of it.

It really depends where you live. Early on here we were low on paper products and pasta or other dried goods in some places, and dairy in others, but never in meat. And for us things are largely back to normal in the stores now (based on my one trip plus reports on NextDoor).

This is the downside of not going to the grocery store until I really have to -- I don't have a good idea of local grocery conditions (they only reported about that on the local news in the early days; now they have so much more to talk about with new cases, deaths, masks or no masks, ventilators, what's happening in hospitals, navy ships, etc.). However, I've always been very flexible about buying what's on sale or what looks good this week, so I expect I'll be reasonably flexible about buying what happens to be available.

I've not been shopping much either, and only at my local meat market and one delivery, but NextDoor reports conditions in various local stores.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited April 2020
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    One more slightly off topic comment about masks. I have seen a couple photos of rows of covid-19 patients lying in beds or on cots all masked up, and I see that people are advised to keep masks on anyone in their home with covid-19 if possible, all to protect their caregivers. It makes sense for the nurses and caregivers, but what about the patients? This headache I got from trying to wear a mask lingered, till I finally went outside just now and spent some time breathing in fresh air. I'm now viewing masks as heinous :neutral:. I wonder whether those photos were staged. Maybe there are situations I can't conceive of, but giving a patient a mask instead of oxygen seems like more harm than good. As to potential home caregivers, to me it makes far more sense to open a window and stay out of the room than to mask your loved one.

The purpose of having the infected person wear the mask is to reduce the droplets they spread when they cough.

Yes, that's obviously the purpose. But if the ONLY goal is to prevent patients from spreading the virus, why even admit them?

ETA: I went looking for the photos I had seen with masked patients lined up. I still think one of them was staged to show off a new facility. But I found another from Wuhan where they had gathered up everyone testing positive, many of whom were asymptomatic, and put them in a "coronavirus hotel". Then masks make sense. I also found pictures I expected to see (but hadn't) where beds were lined up with each patient receiving oxygen. Here, in Ontario, you typically aren't hospitalized unless you are short of breath.