Scale swings eliminated by intermittent fasting

OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
I started intermittent fast a little over a month ago. I don't eat past 8 PM and my first meal of the day is 11:00-12:00 and I really like it a lot. I found it much easier than I though. It seems to have completely eliminated some wild swings on the scale. I weigh every morning and I used to get some wild swings on the scale and used to kinda bounce around within 5 pounds up and down. Now I don't think its coincidence but my weigh ins are very, very stable now. Average is definitely down a bit. Its pretty interesting. Anyone else find this to be the case?
I should mention I have lost 73-74 pounds, goal is just 10-15 pounds away. As I say, I'm happy but not satisfied.

Replies

• ccharles10519
    ccharles10519 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello OAS5: I cant seem to get past 2 weeks. I am starting again today. I had great luck with intermittent before. I want to do this for the month of April. 1 day at a time!
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    I’m trying to put my breakfast back to 11/12 gradually but I have days when I wake up ravenous. Does this pass eventually and if so how long did it take you?
  • OAS5
    I’m trying to put my breakfast back to 11/12 gradually but I have days when I wake up ravenous. Does this pass eventually and if so how long did it take you?

Well I am a little different as I am VERY good at suppressing that hunger. I didn't have that 75 pounds ago but have become very, very good at it. Scares me actually at my ability to knock down that hunger feeling. I guess just work at it, good luck!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

After an adjustment period, intermittent fasting can help suppress appetite for some. It does for me and where I used to waked up hungry, now not so much. Could I eat if I allowed myself? Yes. But for the most part, a couple of cups of black coffee and I'm good til 12 or 1.

To answer the OP's question, I find my weight to be far more consistent when doing IF. Less swings. If I eat something with lots of salt, I can be up a pound or 2 temporarily. But, typically that is not the case. Not sure why this is.
  • OAS5
    mmapags wrote: »

After an adjustment period, intermittent fasting can help suppress appetite for some. It does for me and where I used to waked up hungry, now not so much. Could I eat if I allowed myself? Yes. But for the most part, a couple of cups of black coffee and I'm good til 12 or 1.

To answer the OP's question, I find my weight to be far more consistent when doing IF. Less swings. If I eat something with lots of salt, I can be up a pound or 2 temporarily. But, typically that is not the case. Not sure why this is.

I agree completely. I have enough evidence to say so now.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    When you consider how much food and beverage weight a person takes in each day it makes sense that tightening up input would also tighten up output. It won't help with the other causes of fluctuations. My scale jumped 2 pounds since yesterday just due to sore hamstrings.
  • OAS5
    I'm digging it a lot actually. This morning I got lazy and didn't want to make a healthy lunch so I just make a protein shake, and threw 2 protein bars in my bag. Protein load up day I guess. I'm good till I get home.
  • YadaYadaYada64
    YadaYadaYada64 Posts: 50 Member
    Sounds like you’ve got a good thing going! The hardest part for me is the only water/tea during fasting hours. If I could have zero or very low cal drinks in that time frame I woukd be a lot more successful. How did you handle it?
  • OAS5
    Sounds like you’ve got a good thing going! The hardest part for me is the only water/tea during fasting hours. If I could have zero or very low cal drinks in that time frame I woukd be a lot more successful. How did you handle it?

I only drink water so no biggie for me. I'm good on that end. I will have a seltzer with dinner sometimes too.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I think the same for me, I dont eat after 5 pm and eat the next day at 8am, I drink water at night and didnt even realize this was intermittent fasting but have had good results, kept 40 lbs off.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member

Try not having many carbs late in your eating window. I've found the more carbs I eat the hungrier I am when I wake up. Chinese with rice- I wake up starving.
  • nationalvillage3215
    nationalvillage3215 Posts: 78 Member
    I tried intermittent fasting and didn't find that it made much of a difference. Besides, I got really hungry not eating before 11 or noon. People say you get use to it but I was not successful and I got tired of always being hungry, plus I missed having my morning egg and toast. I went back to just keeping to my daily calories and I am losing at the same rate as IF. So I guess, people just have to try it and see what happens. A lot of people really like it and see good results - just not for me.
  • Desikudinspain
    Desikudinspain Posts: 32 Member
    Ive started it. Lets see how this goes for me.
  • OAS5
    Ive started it. Lets see how this goes for me.

Good luck, you can do it. Mind over matter.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!