March Check In

124»

Replies

• GregInORL
    GregInORL Posts: 232 Member
    Height: 5'8"
    Total weight lost: 70 pounds
    Time it took to lose: 4 months (February - June 2019)
    How long in maintenance: 9
    months
    Maintenance weight range: 145 - 149
    Average weight recorded from 2018: NA
    Average weight recorded for 2019: 168.3

Average weight recorded from March: 204.04
    Average weight recorded from April: 187.42
    Average weight recorded from May: 174.18
    Average weight recorded from June: 164.21
    Average weight recorded from July: 158.2
    Average weight recorded for August: 155.54
    Average weight recorded for September: 151.2
    Average weight recorded for October: 148.3
    Average weight recorded for November: 146.8
    Average weight recorded for December: 147.9
    Average weight recorded for January 146.2
    Average weight recorded for February: 145.6

Week of...
    March 1st: 145.00 (Trend Weight 144.9)
    March 8th: LA MARATHON / CALIFORNIA VACATION WEEK
    March 15th: 150.3 (Trend Weight:149.6 )
    March 22nd: 145.4 (Trend Weight: 148.8)
    March 29th: 145.4 (Trend Weight: 147.2)

Successes: What a difference a week makes! Trend is down over a pound, knee is feeling fantastic! Jumped into week 2 of my ultra training for September

Struggles: Just trying to only do a meal “out” once a week. With everything uncertain every dollar matters, especially while I still have some coming in. I have to go in to work for a few hours tonight and I’ll be the lone person in the office a day next week. Grateful for employment of course, and that we’re getting our average pay still.

• reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Name: Ben
    Height: 6'
    Total weight lost: ~65 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 8 months
    How long in maintenance: Since ~ December 2018
    Maintenance weight range: 163-168

Average weight recorded for 2019: 162.8
    Average weight recorded for December: 162.6
    Average weight recorded for January: 162.2
    Average weight recorded for February: 161.4

Week of...
    March 1st: 157.7 lb (trend 160.9)
    March 8th: 158.2 lb (trend 160.7)
    March 15th: 160.6 lb (trend 160.1)
    March 22nd: 158.6 lb (trend 159.7)
    March 29th: 158.1 lb (trend 160.6)

Trying to eat and sleep well, exercise, and de-stress to keep my immune system up. I'm going to make sure that I have plenty of food to pre-pack for work for when it gets overwhelmed, as the things that very well-meaning people tend to bring in to keep morale up isn't all that good for me. It's been a change in shopping habits for me, as I'm used to stopping in the store frequently for fresh stuff. Being forced to plan out a week in advance is both necessary and probably a better habit to have.

Hang in there, everyone!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    HEAVIEST weight: 175.4 in early 2013.
    Total Weight lost: 30 pounds
    Time it took to lose: ~6 months
    How long in maintenance: Since July 2018 -- but with some fluctuation outside of goal range.
    Maintenance weight range: 142 - 148 (and not sure that's the right answer)

Average weight recorded from 2017 (12 months): 163.8
    Average weight recorded from 2018 (12 months): 150.7
    Average weight recorded from 2019 (12 months): 144.8

Average weight recorded from December 2019: 145.0
    Average weight recorded from January 2020: 143.7
    Average weight recorded from February 2020: 144.2

Average weight Week of...
    March 2 (back from Roatan): 144.0
    March 2 - 8........... 144.0
    March 9 - 15...,,.... 146.1
    March 16 - 22....... 147.2
    March 23 - 29....... 145.9
    March 30 - April 5.

Success of the week: My mass is coming back down from an unexpected increase that went up higher than I had seen since last August. I will still be above ultimate goal weight by the end of the month, but I am now close to the middle of my ideal goal range. I am still alive and relatively healthy.

Struggle of the week: Working remotely is odd. Stress eating is still a threat. We'll get through this.

wpzssz1t5c48.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,968 Member
    Name: Kathryn
    Height: 5'4"
    Total Weight lost: ~80 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 2 years 3 months
    How long in maintenance: I called maintenance in July 2016, but I continued to slowly lose until December of 2017. I have been in maintenance since December 2017
    Maintenance weight range: 115 - 120 lbs

Average weight recorded from 2018: 118.8
    Average weight recorded from 2019: 115.2

Average weight recorded for November: 113.6
    Average weight recorded from December: 114.2
    Average weight recorded from January: 114.2
    Average weight recorded from February: 113.6

Week of..
    March 1: 112.2 scale/ 113.7 trend
    March 8: 113.6 scale/ 113.6 trend
    March 15: 114.0 scale/113.7 trend
    March 22: 112.4 scale/ 113.3 trend
    March 29: 113.2 scale/ 113.1 trend

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: My trend is down a little bit this week. All the stress from being on shelter in place has made me lose my appetite some. I have been trying to make sure I eat all of my calories though and we can still run outside so that helps with the stress. Of course that means I need to eat more. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. 
  • mtaratoot
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Name: Kathryn
    Total Weight lost: ~80 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 2 years 3 months
    How long in maintenance: I called maintenance in July 2016, but I continued to slowly lose until December of 2017. I have been in maintenance since December 2017
    Maintenance weight range: 115 - 120 lbs

Average weight recorded from 2018: 118.8
    Average weight recorded from 2019: 115.2

Average weight recorded for November: 113.6
    Average weight recorded from December: 114.2
    Average weight recorded from January: 114.2
    Average weight recorded from February: 113.6

Week of..
    March 1: 112.2 scale/ 113.7 trend
    March 8: 113.6 scale/ 113.6 trend
    March 15: 114.0 scale/113.7 trend
    March 22: 112.4 scale/ 113.3 trend
    March 29: 113.2 scale/ 113.1 trend

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: My trend is down a little bit this week. All the stress from being on shelter in place has made me lose my appetite some. I have been trying to make sure I eat all of my calories though and we can still run outside so that helps with the stress. Of course that means I need to eat more. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. 

I am inspired by how consistent you are in maintenance. I have wild swings; just how it is. See you next week; stay safe and healthy.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,968 Member
    Thanks @mtaratoot!
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    erjones11 wrote: »
    Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: Weight is up again. I did I track this week. Once again a big dinner last night and some snacks. My weight is down all week and then Friday night I have a big meal and it is up for weigh in. Timing is everything

Eric,

Have you considered using a weight trend app and reporting your trend? In fact, I think in this thread it's expected that you report at least your seven-day (or ten day) AVERAGE weight since it's pretty much expected you'll be up and down in maintenance, and a one-day scale weight is so much less important than what it looks like from a few steps back. Timing becomes less of an issue.

@mtaratoot can you recommend a good weight trend app? I've just been recording my weight, not trend. Thanks :)
  • Luciicul
    Name: Luciicul
    Height: 169 cm (5'6")
    Total weight lost: 55.4 kg (122 lbs)
    Time it took to lose: 11 months
    How long in maintenance: 3 months (06/01/20)
    Maintenance weight range: 65kg +- 1.5kgs (143.5lbs +- 3lbs lbs)

Monthly Averages:
    Jan 2020 average = 64.9 kgs (143.1 lbs)
    Feb 2020 average = 65.1 kgs (143.5 lbs)
    Mar 2020 average = 66.5 kgs (146.6 lbs)

March weigh ins:
    Mar 02: 66.2 kgs (146 lbs)
    Mar 09: 65.9 kgs (145.3 lbs)
    Mar 17: 67.4 kgs (148.6 lbs)
    Mar 24: 66.9 kgs (147.5 lbs)
    Mar 30: 66.0 kgs (145.5 lbs)
    Mar average: 66.5 kgs (146.6 lbs)

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: Like everyone I think, the coronovirus crisis has been messing a little with mental health/stress/anxiety - I've lost of lot of time unproductively on facebook and reading the news and analysis, and been having to make a real effort to switch off from that, don't go down the rabbit hole. Where I used to have to get up at 6am every morning, to prep for the day before leaving home, I've been letting myself sleep in, but it's a bit of a slippery slope as I find that my other habits are affected when I don't have the same structure.

On the bright side, I've still been eating well, fasting a couple days a week, exercising only a little bit less intensely than usual. My goals for the next week/month are to simply be a bit kinder on myself, reduce stress, and keep to good habits, rather than striving to achieve a new goal in these uncertain times.
  • mtaratoot
    The one that I like the graphics of is Trendweight. The thing I DON'T like about it is you either have to use Fitbit or at least get a Fitbit account and enter your weight there. That's what I do. The graphics on Fitbit are ok at best. This is what it looks like over time. Look at those crazy daily weights and the much more stable (but not as stable as @kgirlhart) trend:

na25wcrpyxqa.png

When you zoom in to three months or less, it also shows you a forecast of where you're headed based on the previous ten days. You can use the pre-set zoom settings or use the "explore all" setting and zoom in on any time period you are interested in.

I also use WeightGrapher. I find the graphic a little less inspiring, but one thing that's keen is you have the option to show a line that is one month ago. This is useful to see how you are comparing to a month ago, and it's especially useful for women who have regular monthly weight swings due to menstrual cycles - you can see if that is the same spike you get every month, or if it's something else. Their graph looks like this:

l0vqooas3dh1.png

It becomes nearly unreadable if you look longer than three months.

Some people like Happy Scale. I haven't used it.

There's also a group on here called Lose One Pound Per Week and Keep It Off. It's a friendly and supportive group, and a few of us there are in maintenance. The only requirement is a weekly weigh-in. There's also optional challenges, and one is the "True Weight" challenge. One of the members set up a Google sheet where you enter your daily weight, and it calculates a "True Weight" based on the weighted moving average described in The Hackers' Diet. To help people visualize these changes, the person who put that page together has recently added a graphic feature where you can look at Year to Date or the current quarter. Here's mine for this quarter:

1ixedidyax6o.png

I pulled the spreadsheet down and keep my own copy in Excel. I started doing that before we had graphics on the Google sheet. I keep the Excel sheet now as it has past year data, too.

I hope this helps. It's the long view that counts. Make it count! And stay healthy above all.
  • Luciicul
    @mtaratoot thanks! What an amazingly indepth response, thank you for taking the time to put that together for me. Yes, it is very helpful, and gives me some good options to go forward with :smile:
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    @Luciicul If you are an Apple Watch person, I can recommend Happy Scale.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,705 Member
    Luciicul wrote: »

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: Like everyone I think, the coronovirus crisis has been messing a little with mental health/stress/anxiety - I've lost of lot of time unproductively on facebook and reading the news and analysis, and been having to make a real effort to switch off from that, don't go down the rabbit hole. Where I used to have to get up at 6am every morning, to prep for the day before leaving home, I've been letting myself sleep in, but it's a bit of a slippery slope as I find that my other habits are affected when I don't have the same structure.

I had similar problems when I first retired (5 years ago now). Routines went out the window, slippery slope bad habits, gained weight and lost fitness. I reversed that with MFP and am now much better. Now I know that I need to structure my day and especially the various fitness practices. Now we're in another difficult situation and mental health issues are likely to be a problem. Be kind to yourself and remember, it will pass.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,705 Member
    Name Lesley
    Height: 155 cm (5’ 1”)
    Total weight lost: 22.5 kg (approx. 50 lb)
    Time it took to lose: 9 months
    How long in maintenance: 9 months
    Maintenance weight range: 48 – 51 kg (106 – 112 lbs)

Average weight recorded from 2018: max 72.5 kg in July, 56 kg in Dec
    Average weight 2019 : 49.8 kg – reached goal weight in April, average since then 48.7 kg

Average weight recorded in December 2019: 48.6 kg (107lb)
    Average weight recorded for January: 49.8 kg (110 lb)
    Average weight recorded for February: 51.2 kg (113 lb)
    March 2nd: 51.2 kg (trend 51.1)
    March 9th: 50.7 kg (trend 51.1)
    March 16th: 50.6 kg (trend 50.8)
    March 23rd: 50.4 kg (trend 50.6)
    March 30th: 50.5 kg (trend 50.5)

Successes/struggles: We’ve had a week now of “lockdown” – only supposed to go out once a day, and only for a few specific reasons. I have been out on my bike several times. I live on the edge of a small town in rural Somerset UK so I can get straight out into the countryside. I’ve been doing a round trip of just under 10 miles that takes in the hill just behind my house, and only has about 1.5 miles on main roads (and they are very quiet just now). I see very little traffic and very few people, listening to the birds, seeing the wildflowers, lambs in the fields. Good for my mental health as well as my physical health. Keeping in touch with family using Whatsapp and phone calls.
    Weight-wise I’m happy with where I am. Fitness is returning to pre-op levels although without the gym my strength routines are missing. But I’m concentrating on heart and lung capacity with cardio work to combat the virus.

This will pass and we will come out the other side.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    @Luciicul You may find Libra helpful if you use Android - I find it simple and useful. The graphing isn't quite as nice as what @mtaratoot has, though - and you may find the added detail available on his to be useful.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: Weight is up again. I did I track this week. Once again a big dinner last night and some snacks. My weight is down all week and then Friday night I have a big meal and it is up for weigh in. Timing is everything

Eric,

Have you considered using a weight trend app and reporting your trend? In fact, I think in this thread it's expected that you report at least your seven-day (or ten day) AVERAGE weight since it's pretty much expected you'll be up and down in maintenance, and a one-day scale weight is so much less important than what it looks like from a few steps back. Timing becomes less of an issue.

Did not know there was such an expectation. I am content with recording my weight once a week. Good luck to you all.

• mtaratoot

Eric,

Did not know there was such an expectation. I am content with recording my weight once a week. Good luck to you all.

Everyone has their own approach, and they all work. If you just weigh once a week, don't beat yourself up if it's up more than you think it should be. You already know this; day-to-day variations can be big. For me at least. Like three pounds this morning that aren't for real.

I'll look forward to next week's check-in!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,230 Member
    Name: Jim
    Height:5’8”
    Total Weight lost:197.8 (SW 376.2)
    Time it took to lose: 5 years,
    From 1/17/13 to 3/29/18.
    On maintenance: Since 3/29/18.
    *Maintenance range:179-184
    Avg weight recorded 2019 180.

Average weight recorded 2020:
    January 180
    Feb 179

Weigh In
    5 March 179.2 (+.8)
    26 Mar 180 (+.8)
    Success/struggles of the week

Success: Staying indoor and not gaining pounds. No water aerobics since 21 January, my activity level is low.
    Struggle: Limited activity, using walker and/or cane.
    Virginia Govenor issued Stay in Place until June 10!!!
  • 425Recess
    425Recess Posts: 260 Member
    Total weight lost: 50 lb.
    Time it took to lose: Over years with ups/downs
    How long in maintenance: at current weight ~2 years - Was on maintenance for 7 years at 125 lbs.
    Maintenance weight range: 115 +/- 2 lbs.
    Average weight recorded from 2018: Don't have the recorded number but stayed at goal.
    Average weight recorded from 2019: 114.5

Average weight recorded for March:113.5
    Average weight recorded for April:114.5
    Average weight recorded for May:113.5
    Average weight recorded for June:114.5
    Average weight recorded for July:113.5
    Average weight recorded for August:114.5
    Average weight recorded for September:114.5
    Average weight recorded for Oct:114.5
    Average weight recorded for Nov:114.5
    Average weight recorded for Dec: 115
    Average weight recorded for January: 115
    Average weight recorded for February: 115

Week of..
    Mar 2 115
    Mar 9 115
    Mar 16 115.5
    Mar 23 116.5
    Mar 30 116.5

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week:
    I did better this week. My weight is the same as last week but last week the trend was going up and this week the trend is going down but it jump on my official weigh-In day. I still need to do more measuring to correct where I drifted with my portions. So happy that I am taking this seriously and not letting it get out hand. This is a course correction. I don't think I need to make an adjustment to my calorie goal yet. 1 1/2 #s is better than 10 #s.
  • mtaratoot
    HEAVIEST weight: 175.4 in early 2013.
    Total Weight lost: 30 pounds
    Time it took to lose: ~6 months
    How long in maintenance: Since July 2018 -- but with some fluctuation outside of goal range.
    Maintenance weight range: 142 - 148 (and not sure that's the right answer)

Average weight recorded from 2017 (12 months): 163.8
    Average weight recorded from 2018 (12 months): 150.7
    Average weight recorded from 2019 (12 months): 144.8

Average weight recorded from December 2019: 145.0
    Average weight recorded from January 2020: 143.7
    Average weight recorded from February 2020: 144.2
    Average weight recorded from March 2020: 145.9

Average weight Week of...
    March 2 (back from Roatan): 144.0
    March 2 - 8........... 144.0
    March 9 - 15...,,.... 146.1
    March 16 - 22....... 147.2
    March 23 - 29....... 145.9
    March 30 - April 5...146.7

Success of the week: My mass seems like it might be stabilizing again. At least it's not up more than it is. I am eating pretty well.

Struggle of the week: I am eating maybe TOO well... no; just too much.

0y00rmqdjkjc.png