Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Hi @salleewins Great hearing from you <3

Welcome @wigi41
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Good morning! My counselor told me about a book; I was wondering if any of you read it. "Quit like a Woman". https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45434420-quit-like-a-woman

Hi @RubyRed427, I read that book when it came out and I posted a little info about it in this thread back in January. I will just include it here. Let me know if you decide to read it!

I'm popping in today to give a book recommendation. I just finished reading a new book, Quit Like a Woman: The Radical Choice to Not Drink in a Culture Obsessed with Alcohol by Holly Whitaker. There is some really good information in this book if you can get past language and politics if those things bother you. I personally have not had as wild of a life as Holly or used recreational drugs, but many of the things she mentioned just about drinking I could relate to. I also have read posts on this board which correlate to some of the things she talks about, so I thought some of you might like this book. She talks a lot about the marketing of alcohol and how we've all been programmed to believe it's part of life - a rite of passage. How Big Alcohol is like Big Tobacco. All very good points. She offers some reasons why AA doesn't work for everyone and discusses why other avenues are still good options for leaving alcohol behind. We're not all supposed to be lumped into a category of an alcoholic or a "normal drinker." There is a lot of gray area she covers.

There's a lot more to say about this book and I did skim the end of the book because I've been AF over a year now and didn't feel she was giving me any new info about how to live without alcohol. There's been some criticism for the way she sounds like an entitled white girl who can afford the luxury of therapy, massages, yoga, etc. I think you have to look at it as suggestions for filling up the time that alcohol used to rob from you and not focus on what she spends on her new rituals. It's pretty easy to find low cost ways to entertain and nurture yourself, so I feel like that's a non issue.

Anyway, if any of you read this book and would like to discuss, please let me know! Oh and don't let the title discourage you gentlemen, you can skip the feminism parts of the book and still glean some good information. :wink:
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    edited April 2020
    https://smartrecovery.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/CBA_Worksheet.pdf?_ga=2.114799232.649238867.1585840145-569625487.1585840145

Here is a link to a pdf called Decision Making worksheet/cost benefit analysis from Smart Recovery toolkit. When I filled this out all the advantages for drinking were all short term..... Most of the disadvantages of drinking (costs and risks) were long term for me. It was eye opening for me to fill this out. Hope it can help someone.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    aroze0928 wrote: »
    I hope everyone is managing during all the stress. Like it wasnt hard enough. Alcohol sales up 55% so says the article I read. Troubling but true probably. Hope everyone can push through and find inner peace.

I must say when I heard they might close liquor stores around here, my thought was "OMG I better and go get vodka!!" I didn't of course. Because I know if it is here, I will eventually drink it.

For anyone new to this thread, this video means so much to me. (8 min. long). Craig Ferguson's monologue on his drinking.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI-BhQGwDO8
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    I hear you @RubyRed427. Been scouring online for recipes. Kids told me they are sick of eating the same things. They cant be sick of it more than I am of cooking it. I found a recipe for coq a vin looks really good. Unfortunately it calls for half a bottle of wine. Its funny what can be a trigger. Even tho beer was my thing. Not sure with all the stress that I wouldn't finish that other half. Its off the new menu. It has to be. I know It wouldn't stop there.
    Wishing everyone a better week.