60 yrs and up

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Had a good weekend here. Two 7 mile hikes with the pup - she's sleeping beside me now - she's "dog tired", :) Those deserted golf courses are a great place to walk that dog right now. We shall see if we can still walk the perimeter when the golfers return.

The workouts are helping me deal with the stress and anxiety of this physical distancing. Need to start some lifting at home this week.

Went to donate platelets early this morning. Iron was low again and I was unable to donate. I am going make an appointment with the doctor (if that's possible) for an evaluation. Does anyone have any advice regarding raising iron levels? I was told to eat Cream of Wheat and dried fruit.
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Hello from Coastal NJ. I've just noticed this discussion. I'm 65yo, male, retired, with some age-related limiting issues (I guess I'm out of warranty, LOL) and until a couple of weeks ago, trying to be pretty active. Most-of-year-round cycling, summer swimming and cooler months gym. I "got the bug" a couple of years ago, with slightly early retirement, and am down about 70lbs from max, easily 30 more to go. Like many others, this CV19 home isolation is driving me crazy. I've been using MFP on and off for a couple of years, and am currently in a log-everything mode. Keeping in mind the old adage, "you can't outride a poor diet," relative to cycling and weight loss, I've taken over the home chef duties while my wife continues her last couple of years working.

Pic below is a mid-ride stop in Long Branch NJ this past November.

ct8sidjmngra.png

Hi to all and may health be with you!!

I'm in Union County, kind of in the middle of a pandemic. It is hard to be cooped up all the time, plus this new warning not to go to the drugstore and/or supermarket for the next 2 weeks. My Y is closed and I can't swim. Tough. Can you ride your bike to the park or they are closed?

But, on a positive note - it's getting warmer a sun comes out more. So, I'm walking outside in the middle of the road in my subdivision for an hour and trying to make at least 10,000 steps a day.

Keep the spirit up and this will pass. As long as we will keep our health!!

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)bethe congrats on getting back to walking. I have to have a harness on Bessie because if I just attach a leash to her collar, she slips out whenever she feels like it.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited April 2020
    7sorok wrote: »

I'm in Union County, kind of in the middle of a pandemic. It is hard to be cooped up all the time, plus this new warning not to go to the drugstore and/or supermarket for the next 2 weeks. My Y is closed and I can't swim. Tough. Can you ride your bike to the park or they are closed?

But, on a positive note - it's getting warmer a sun comes out more. So, I'm walking outside in the middle of the road in my subdivision for an hour and trying to make at least 10,000 steps a day.

My home is a 5.5mi ride to the entrance of Sandy Hook. I ride there a fair amount, as well as the stretch of Sea Bright to Long Branch and beyond. More of my local riding is on the various Monmouth County trails and their local environs (I sometimes like to go off the trails and poke around some of the surrounding areas, which are interesting). Monmouth County Parks and Sandy Hook are open, but the facilities, including restrooms, are closed; MonCo also usually has porta-potties scattered about. In the summer, I often ride over to the beach in Sea Bright, swim the day and ride home for a dual-activity workout.

I have been self-isolating in the home since this began. It's tough watching the spring unfold and not getting to the beach, etc. - but, as being in a high-risk group (over 60, underlying issues, etc.) - being cautious is called for. My gym is closed as well; it's my winter workout locale. I've been doing an in-house regimen these past few weeks.

By the way, I've hauled my bike from the FL Keys to Ontario since taking up riding again, in my various travels. it's a great way to see the world.

The pic is from the D&R Canal Park last year in Bound Brook. A little closer to you in Union County (you in Union, I think this spot is still Middlesex). I don't get up to northern NJ much. I believe many NJ State parks are open also, but no facilities are.

Stay safe, stay well.

j404ctfv2vqy.jpg
  • 7sorok

My home is a 5.5mi ride to the entrance of Sandy Hook. I ride there a fair amount, as well as the stretch of Sea Bright to Long Branch and beyond. More of my local riding is on the various Monmouth County trails and their local environs (I sometimes like to go off the trails and poke around some of the surrounding areas, which are interesting). Monmouth County Parks and Sandy Hook are open, but the facilities, including restrooms, are closed; MonCo also usually has porta-potties scattered about. In the summer, I often ride over to the beach in Sea Bright, swim the day and ride home for a dual-activity workout.

I have been self-isolating in the home since this began. It's tough watching the spring unfold and not getting to the beach, etc. - but, as being in a high-risk group (over 60, underlying issues, etc.) - being cautious is called for. My gym is closed as well; it's my winter workout locale. I've been doing an in-house regimen these past few weeks.

By the way, I've hauled my bike from the FL Keys to Ontario since taking up riding again, in my various travels. it's a great way to see the world.

The pic is from the D&R Canal Park last year in Bound Brook. A little closer to you in Union County (you in Union, I think this spot is still Middlesex). I don't get up to northern NJ much. I believe many NJ State parks are open also, but no facilities are.

Stay safe, stay well.

j404ctfv2vqy.jpg

Years ago I fell from the bike and really badly broke my foot and since then I'm jealous of people who can. I'm a bit older than you are and getting paranoid. I went for a walk in the neighborhood, but only for 35 min. I did not have a mask even though I did not see any people. Will do the same tomorrow with the mask for an hour or more, possibly. My husband is refusing to leave the house, but he enjoys yard work. Weather is marvelous today.

Be well.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Hello, lovely day here. Moved a few plants. Tried to teach irregular verbs. Ate a lot. Making a new mask for boy who tore up his paper one.
  • barbiecat
    5fhhlenb5fp2.png
    My walk this morning
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Years ago I fell from the bike and really badly broke my foot and since then I'm jealous of people who can. I'm a bit older than you are and getting paranoid. I went for a walk in the neighborhood, but only for 35 min. I did not have a mask even though I did not see any people. Will do the same tomorrow with the mask for an hour or more, possibly. My husband is refusing to leave the house, but he enjoys yard work. Weather is marvelous today.

Be well.

Thanks, trying to keep well - same to you. The debate in our house is an aspirational hope that there's light nearer rather than farther down the tunnel and there will be a normal-ish summer. I vote for hope, with my fingers crossed for luck.

I can empathize about your injury, I've had some big spills on the bike in my life, including a recent one on my old touring bike when I got the bug to restart riding midsummer 2017. Long story short, I had a bad spill, nothing broken except my pride, but some serious wounds and long-term consequences (I turned out to be allergic to the antibiotic used, laid me out flat for most of the rest of that year in a cascade of consequences). Hence, I retired the old bike along with a bit early retiring from my career, and got the new bike (which we considered more age-appropriate) as my Christmas 2017/retirement gift from the family. I haven't looked back since. But one thing, I'll never clip into a pedal.

I looked at recumbent bikes, including renting one on a trip to the Tampa area. They are interesting. By being recumbent, I think there might be less pressure on your foot bones than an upright bike, but I'm not sure. There might be a possibility for you there. Add in electric pedal assist, and you might be able to ride again. That's me talking without any details on your injury, so forgive my forwardness. My own interest in recumbents was assuming that the day will come when balance issues might arise and I can't ride upright.

Best of luck in all things.

My answer above triggered a quick search on e-recumbent bikes. oof! can be very expensive! moreso than i thought. sorry!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    @alteredsteve175 red meat is high in iron
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Good morning everyone!! We have SUNSHINE here in Oregon!! What a treat! Guess where I’m going to be woo hoo! Welcome to mjbnj0001 . bethe you go girl it feels so good to get out and walk. I am going to head out on my walk here soon. Hey barbi hope you are doing good, lynnchristy how are your eyes doing much better I hope! Everyone have a really good day!! 🤓
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    edited April 2020

oops - see next post
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Had a good weekend here. Two 7 mile hikes with the pup - she's sleeping beside me now - she's "dog tired", :) Those deserted golf courses are a great place to walk that dog right now. We shall see if we can still walk the perimeter when the golfers return.

The workouts are helping me deal with the stress and anxiety of this physical distancing. Need to start some lifting at home this week.

Went to donate platelets early this morning. Iron was low again and I was unable to donate. I am going make an appointment with the doctor (if that's possible) for an evaluation. Does anyone have any advice regarding raising iron levels? I was told to eat Cream of Wheat and dried fruit.

Alteredsteve175 - last time I had anemia, taking B12 and folic acid helped a lot!
  • 7sorok

Be well.

Thanks, trying to keep well - same to you. The debate in our house is an aspirational hope that there's light nearer rather than farther down the tunnel and there will be a normal-ish summer. I vote for hope, with my fingers crossed for luck.

I can empathize about your injury, I've had some big spills on the bike in my life, including a recent one on my old touring bike when I got the bug to restart riding midsummer 2017. Long story short, I had a bad spill, nothing broken except my pride, but some serious wounds and long-term consequences (I turned out to be allergic to the antibiotic used, laid me out flat for most of the rest of that year in a cascade of consequences). Hence, I retired the old bike along with a bit early retiring from my career, and got the new bike (which we considered more age-appropriate) as my Christmas 2017/retirement gift from the family. I haven't looked back since. But one thing, I'll never clip into a pedal.

I looked at recumbent bikes, including renting one on a trip to the Tampa area. They are interesting. By being recumbent, I think there might be less pressure on your foot bones than an upright bike, but I'm not sure. There might be a possibility for you there. Add in electric pedal assist, and you might be able to ride again. That's me talking without any details on your injury, so forgive my forwardness. My own interest in recumbents was assuming that the day will come when balance issues might arise and I can't ride upright.

Best of luck in all things.

Thanks for the advice, but I will not venture on a bike anywhere ever. Since that fall, I found out that I have pretty bad vertigo, but I manage to enjoy my life to the fullest in some other ways. It is great to be alive.

Have a beautiful day everybody!!!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    bethe wrote: »

Alteredsteve175 - last time I had anemia, taking B12 and folic acid helped a lot!

Thanks, @bethe. I may do that in the future. Going to try to deal with this condition with whole foods first.

All is well for me and my family here in Idaho. I am the only one venturing out of the house most days. I have not been doing any lifting workouts, but I have been walking nearly every day with the dog. Food intake has been mostly on point, and my trend weight is slowly dropping. I'll take that positive news anytime. Lord knows there is no positive reporting by most of the talking heads.
  • barbiecat
    :) I fell off my bike on the way to work when I was in my 20's and injured my clothing more than my person, but decided that I would not ride a bike again. Now I walk for hours every day and ride a stationary recumbent bike in my living room.

:) I continue to take very serious precautions including staying away from the news which does nothing except mess with my attitude.

:) Exercise today has been dog walking, walking alone, dancing, riding recumbent bike and soon will be doing 30 minutes of pulling weeds.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Hi all and welcome to our new folks. Hope each of you are doing well.
    I'm okay and had a nice little loss on weigh-in day this week. I find myself starting to be more like my cat and instead of spending time on-line or in front of the TV a cat nap seems best. Since I don't leave my unit I continue to walk around these small rooms for 15 to 30 minutes a few times daily listening to music to keep the pace up. Ordering grocery delivery has been impossible for now so I'm thankful for what I have and hope the delivery backups ease soon.
    Today the storms will clear and will be sunny and warm so lots of fresh air on the balcony is planned. My lettuce has been providing wonderfully.
    Stay safe, stay home.
    Friend Hugs
    Make it a good day. Om…

• lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Good morning 60 & uppers :) Sorry I haven't been around much. With everything as it is there isn't much going on to share and I haven't been feeling well, allergy time :'(

Hello and welcome to newbies :smiley:

Have a blessed day everyone :)

Shout out to my friends <3