Coronavirus prep

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Jane- Your probably right on that it’s like the environment we all know it’s bad to pollute yet we still get in a car for a drive about to see someone miss a trash can not go back to get it. Our parks are disasters mess wise after holidays they struggle to clean all the trash from a simple holiday. The economy very bad all over the world as this stuff is progressing for sure.

I’m still wondering what other countries also got patient zeros to help see how to stop the virus 🦠. All our countries had to have taken some sort of proactive approach also to see how to stop this from day one when China needed help with their first cases. The worlds connected More than our past generations ever were
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Kriss - Yes warned my Aunts they ignored me then one became sick they thought in Ohio that she had the virus. Luckily she did not test came back negative so she died March 30th with family by her side,but no funeral. She was so scared in the end that if her test came back positive that she infected her Daughter y hubby but luckily she did not. She had phemonia y severe heart issues in the end.
    Daughter also hangs with nurse friends thinks same I told her washing hands doesn’t keep them from getting it.

I been preparing by looking back at history of foods to sewing to even how infections were handled in the past to now so I have broader knowledge. Been increasing my workouts to get my Csection /other Surgery set back under control so I can get a little stronger just in case.

No no there is no herd immunity! I been saying that from day 1 of this also been saying wear masks! With Hippa to classified base information it can’t be known until they knew it wasn’t contained. Even now was shocked said a nurse told on her Facebook recently room numbers of infected positive patients! Hospital retaliated but more cause she asked for masks. I think Hospitals need to be proactive start posting for donations so nurses y Doctors don’t have to do the leg work in harder hit areas!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    I went grocery shopping on Friday at a local discount store (crowded like Walmart) and people either wore masks or didn't seem to care at all about social distancing, it drove me nuts! I kept trying to get away from people the whole time, cashier wasn't using hand disinfectant. I hadn't shopped for two weeks and this time I was able to get chicken and yogurt, eggs were about double-priced. Toilet paper was gone but they did have bread this time too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I went grocery shopping on Friday at a local discount store (crowded like Walmart) and people either wore masks or didn't seem to care at all about social distancing, it drove me nuts! I kept trying to get away from people the whole time, cashier wasn't using hand disinfectant. I hadn't shopped for two weeks and this time I was able to get chicken and yogurt, eggs were about double-priced. Toilet paper was gone but they did have bread this time too.

I went to my local Kroger yesterday, since I had to go out for a (drive through**) prescription. The contrast to the local employee-owned health-food-ish full-line grocery (that I'd visited a week or so before) was pretty dramatic. Even though time had passed, and warnings increased, the Kroger shoppers were much more loosey-goosey (lower percentage of masks/gloves, not social distancing as well, etc.), plus the store was more crowded (the latter, I'd expected).

On the brighter side, many/most things were in stock. I didn't check widely, but bought foaming hand soap (low but not out), and had to go down TP aisle for something else and saw there was a bit of TP in stock, as well as a bit of all-purpose and bread flour in another aisle, things I'm seeing folks say they have a hard time getting.

I don't know that I can do it 100% and stay in stock of what I (think I :grimace: ) need for the duration, but I'll be focusing business on the store with the much better environment, going forward, for sure.

** This was the first time I've ever used a prescription drive-through. I'm not sure it's safer than the in-store option. The card acceptor at this store is sent out in a drawer, and everyone has to pull it out of the drawer (to within droplet-shot distance, often), grub their hands all over it, and put it back. I don't know whether it's sanitized in between - I can only hope. I was super glad I had gloves/mask. In store, I'd be closer to (some) people, but I think I'd be touching no more things, and those things would be at longer distance from face (mine and others). YMMV.

Supposedly, this chain has free delivery, but it didn't seem to be on offer from this store. Ugh.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    rq3vc2z1zp9s.jpeg
    We have shields between customers y cashier .In my Dads town they pass out number cards to keep count of how many in the store they return y spray it before handing to next customer as they leave.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    I went grocery shopping this morning...there was a big difference from a week ago.
    Last week, about 20% of people were wearing masks, mostly elderly people.
    Today, about 80% were wearing masks, including me for the first time.
    The store was mostly normally stocked (except for TP), but there was a very noticeable sense of tension and nervousness among everyone in the store. I hadn't seen that before. I came home very stressed out.

That's what's going on in my area too -- I haven't been to the store lately, but my sister and a friend (who both live reasonably close) said almost everyone in the store had them. I did walk around a lot yesterday, and it seemed like 50% of those just walking around had them. It's pretty easy to totally avoid people by crossing the street or stepping out into the street as there are few cars, so I wasn't wearing one yet -- still need to figure out my plan for making them, especially for when it's 75 degrees and warmer, as it was yesterday. I saw several people with badannas just tied over their nose and mouth, like old timely bandits. I also saw a FedEx person and my own mail person (I saw her from the window when she dropped off my mail) with masks that covered only their mouths and not their noses). I'm not sure how high contact those jobs actually are (presumably not a lot when delivering stuff), but that did not seem like the best possible protection.

People were all much more into the crossing the street or stepping well off the sidewalk to avoid each other than they were last week.