What's Your Most Recent NSV

Replies

• brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    I've made the decision to go back to school.
    I only just finished a few months ago. Don't get me wrong, I like my career as a corrections officer. I could live with it if I was working in this profession for the rest of my life.
    But, that's the thing... I don't want to just pick something I can live with. I want to chase something I have a true passion for. My criminal justice degree was a panic decision. I felt backed into a corner so I just jumped into something. It was never my dream.
    I guess expecting a baby has really put things into perspective for me. How can I tell my child that s/he can be anything they want and to chase their dreams if I'm too afraid to chase my own?
    So, likely next spring or fall, I will be starting Pre-Veterinary. I've let the anxiety that I won't be able to handle performing surgeries hold me back, but I'm not letting that stop me anymore. I'm so thankful that I have a supportive partner that is pushing me, also.

Not sure what your anxiety stemmed from by my daughter had anxiety over doing anything where a life was in her hands. First she looked in to EMT work, then her love for animals made her look into animal care. But she again was concerned with the what ifs. I told her she had to look at it differently, what if she didn't. How many animals may suffer because she wasn't there for them? Plus there are other avenues for pet care. So she is finally looking at vet-tech schools and has been working with animals at a pet hotel service. And is truly enjoying it.
    I guess I said all that to say this, never focus on the negative always focus on the positive.
    I wish you all the best.

I did a preceptorship at a vet clinic, and assisted a spay surgery. I got super lightheaded and had to sit down and ever since then, I've been afraid I won't be able to do it. It's not so much the anxiety of having a life in my hands, more so I'm just not sure if I can handle the gory aspect of it.
    It's weird though, I wasn't grossed out or anything. I was fascinated. I just found myself on the floor. I was reassured that for most people entering the field, the first couple surgeries they witness go like that, but it just added a lot of self doubt.

This almost happened to me when I was in school and job shadowing a local vet. Had nothing to do with what I was seeing, and everything to do with the fact that I was standing too still and controlling my breathing too well. Loss of proper blood circulation to the brain and you can pass out from it. I've seen it happen to cadets and soldiers as well when they stand too long. Something about don't lock your knees, heh.

Could that be what happened to you?

Very well could be! My husband is always scolding me for locking my knees. It's just a habit and the way that I stand. It's never caused me to pass out, though. That would be the first and only time, if that was the cause.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!