The dreaded #quarantinefifteen

Anyone else having trouble with the readings on the daily weigh-in (up and up) since it is difficult to workout from home confinement? When I go outside to power walk/run, many people act like I am breaking the law! Whatcha got?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    Not really. For nearly 5 years now, I've followed the MFP routine: Eat more when I exercise, eat less when I don't.

It's harder when one is newer at this, for sure. It takes a while to:

* Figure out where current maintenance calories are, and recognize that one will lose weight if under that (lose faster if more under, slower if less under)
    * Get realistic exercise calorie estimates
    * Dial in accurate food logging (and recognize, gut level, that brutal honesty is a good strategy, even on "bad" days (personally, I don't believe in bad days: Some days are over goal, some under - meh - just figure out how to balance))
    * Be kind to oneself about rare indulgences, and trust the weekly totals
    * Learn from unplanned over-goal days and adjust plans to be more realistic
    * Realize in our gut that multi-pound gains/losses over a few days, when calories don't account for them, are about water weight, and it's the long-term scale trend that matters (not those daily shifts)**

. . . and so forth.

All you can do, outside, is maintain social distance, and - if appropriate wear a bandana or something as a mask. Another option is to consider indoor activity: Flexibility in what we do is a wonderful thing, in these weird times . . . or any time, really. ;)

Hang in there, be kind to yourself, you can figure this out! :)

** https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations
  • RoseyandReady
    RoseyandReady Posts: 256 Member
    YouTube videos have been great. Trying out new ones everyday to see which trainers I like and learning new exercises keeps it fresh! Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    In most locations, walking/running outdoors for exercise isn't illegal and is specifically allowed (some places do have time limits). So if the issue is people just looking at you or making snide comments, I'd ignore that (although if they're also outside, why are they making comments?). Obviously, if your local guidelines are to avoid outdoor exercise, you should avoid it.

That said, if outdoor exercise was banned here, I'd adjust for it by consuming fewer calories. That's the wonderful thing about calorie counting. Once you understand how to adjust your intake to account for how much energy you're using, you can account for periods of more or less activity than usual. I know my base sedentary calories, so if I have to be sedentary for a period of time due to illness, injury, or local regulations, I'm ready.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Honestly, this is much easier than normal. You are fully in control of what junk food (that you may have impulse control or boredom snacking issues with) you have in your own house. And now can't go anywhere where others are placing it in front of you.

Aside from a few morons that think this will magically disappear if everyone crawls under a rock for 2 weeks, or within some exceptionally hard-hit or high-population-density areas (where social distancing might not be possible or where an actual lockdown is in place), no one is discouraging outdoor exercise as long as you avoid crowded areas. TBH, the latter is a bit harder right now, but only bc all the normally sedentary lazy folk have nothing else to do and have newly flooded a lot of the parks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    juanwilly wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble with the readings on the daily weigh-in (up and up) since it is difficult to workout from home confinement? When I go outside to power walk/run, many people act like I am breaking the law! Whatcha got?

Just go out and walk. If you see people giving you looks, that would seem to me that they're also out...so not sure why they'd be giving you looks if they're doing the same thing.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I workout at home. Some kind of video(kickboxing, aerobics, step, dumbbells, etc) and then I also have a treadmill. I like to go outside for a walk around my property. I live in a rural area, so I just stay close to my own property and watch out for dogs(2 Pitts started coming towards me today) but I rarely see any people out. I also walk in place in front of the TV while I watch a show and brew coffee, start breakfast. I take my dogs out on leash 1-3x/day. Just get some movement in when you can.
  • juanwilly
    juanwilly Posts: 100 Member
    I still run and powerwalk/speedwalk in the park and along the Missouri River...also started intermittent fasting and it is working--nothing (solid) in the mouth after 7PM! Sounds dirty! Enjoy all and I agree the lockdown has brought many, many others out when I have never seen them in my workout areas before!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited April 2020
    No trouble here. I'm super committed to watching my weight and keeping myself up during this time.

- I still workout first thing in the morning (Youtube workout, weights, resistance bands, Walk at Home workouts, bodyweight work, jump rope etc.)

- I take my pup out for walks several times per day.

- Planning/light meal prepping my meals and journaling are all very important to me and helps me to stay on track.

- When watching TV or on the phone I use my mini-stair stepper or pace/march in place.

- I use Youtube workouts. Also the live workouts on Youtube and Instagram is great.

- I intermittent fast unintentionally. A large mid-morning breakfast and a large mid - late afternoon dinner works perfect for me most days.

- I'm keeping a close eye on my weight and measurements. The most I've ever have during maintenance. That weight creep is very real.

I miss my outdoor walks, run, and hill runs so much, but there's just too many people out. It's not worth the risk to me, but I'm still getting it done at home!

Good luck!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    No trouble on my side. I've worked out from home for the better part of 10 years and I don't keep hyperpalatable food in the house. And unless it's the cops giving judgmental looks of issuing a citation, I don't actually think about other people or their thoughts.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    juanwilly wrote: »

My flat is 60m^2, and I have ample space for working out. There's a pull up bar in the entrance to my livingroom, and a floormat, few kettlebells. It's one step from my improvised desk to the workout map. Thus there's no excuse. Plus I try to walk 300 steps every hour in the course of the day. Not because I think it does anything other than get my pulse up inbetween work, but it helps against being too lazy. And an odd challenge: do I really manage to do this every hour at least for one day? So far I've not managed :D My best day was 13/14 hours :s In the evening I go for a little run. And on one weekend day I go to a forest/other nature area nearby and do a 15-20km hike. I try to be flexible: if I see too many people somewhere then I take another route. Thus I'm currently more active than before isolation.