Cottage Cheese Mix-Ins?

brittanystebbins95
brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
edited April 2020 in Recipes
What are your favorite ways to eat cottage cheese?
I've recently rediscovered my love of it (thank you, pregnancy cravings) and am looking for different ways to eat it.

Some that I have tried and loved:
with fruit/honey mixed in
A little bit of jam or jelly (tastes like really rich cheesecake, in a way)
Chili powder
Cavender's Greek seasoning
Black pepper
Spread on top of tomato slices with one of the three seasonings above

Replies

• hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    From the Centr "cook book" - Mix with tahini and honey. Put on toast. Top with banana and nuts.

I made a tomato onion jam the other day and have mixed that with cottage cheese to have on toast.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited April 2020
    I love cottage cheese and fruit (maybe just a little crushed ice) in the blender. Cheesecake pudding.

For volume when I’m really hungry, some crumbled bacon or sausage, onions, peppers, 1 egg, 2 or 3 egg whites, 1/2 cup cottage cheese scrambled makes a huge meal for 400 or so calories that keeps me full for hours.

Drained cottage cheese mixed with a little vanilla, sweetener if you like, on toast, in oven until cheese melts, fresh fruit on top.

I haven’t tried it yet, but been thinking about bacon, tomato, cottage cheese on toast, melted. Doesn’t that sound good?
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    Cottage cheese on baked potato with baked beans on top....may sound strange but super delicious and filling.
  • ecrispi
    ecrispi Posts: 25 Member
    Cottage cheese on a piece of toast, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon. I love that stuff 😬
    I also like to cook omelets and then put cottage cheese in the fold. Tried it in oatmeal yesterday and liked that too
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I am planning to make mac and cheese where the base of cheese sauce is cottage cheese blitzed in the food processor, thinned down with milk if needed. The cheese sauce will include grated mature cheddar to bake with the macaroni.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I particularly like chopped spring onions, cherry tomatoes, a few crushed Doritos and a good splash of Tabasco. 😋

Also, chopped hard boiled egg and cucumber - makes a really good egg mayo substitute!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Sriracha and dried onions
    Sugar free jello powder
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Chunky Salsa.

Tabouleh.
  • mousemahala
    mousemahala Posts: 1 Member
    I like mine with a tablespoon of honey and tablespoon of cocoa
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Lots of black pepper and those crunchy chow mein noodles.
  • privy95
    privy95 Posts: 81 Member
    I love it with pears or frozen blueberries. Also like pepper and boiled eggs on top of cottage cheese.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Quarter cup of oats, quarter cup of cottage cheese, 1 egg, sweetener (I don't usually put it in mine), sometimes cinnamon - mixed with a spoon or blender, then fried in a pan with a little cooking spray. Makes a decent sized pancake for breakfast, and very tasty and filling with low cal syrup.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    I always just cut up a banana and a cutie (mandarin orange)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    A1 steak sauce. Or Mrs Renfro’s green salsa, which isn’t really like green salsa but is straight up puréed jalapeño.
  • jahnkesd
    jahnkesd Posts: 1 Member
    Fresh dill.
    Other fresh herbs would probably work too.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Lemon pepper seasoning, chopped red onion, tomato and cucumber
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    So I made the mac and cheese with the sauce base of 0% fat cottage cheese blitzed in the food processor thinned down with milk to a bechamel consistency and mixed with grated hard cheese and seasonings for flavour. Not as deliciously rich as a traditional mac and cheese based on bechamel but enjoyably lighter and less stodgy.
    Next time I will use a wider thinner casserole dish because the crunchy topping of grated parmesan and buttered breadcrumbs were the star of the show.
    jtxsghey5hyj.jpeg
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    A favorite low carb breakfast of mine is cottage cheese topped with an oz of salted peanuts, with coffee or tea.