WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Machka- I'm reading that two hospitals in Tasmania have shut down on new cases because they have too many. :/

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Yep. How long ago was it that I mentioned there were 13 people with COVID-19 in one of those hospitals? There are 72 now.

Two hospitals and a whole bunch of businesses are closed.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-12/tasmania-to-close-two-hospitals-due-to-coronavirus-outbreak/12143552

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    @Heather that makes sense about the beaches being local. that must be awesome to have them to yourselves. are many people down in the summer houses? it sounded like you were not so unhappy to be staying at home. zoom can be wonderful when it works well. third eye huh? i guess you guys could do SOME of the things you would be doing on the cruise: have cocktails, even champagne, as if in a bar, playing it up a bit. i think i would do that if i were in a fun couple.

@SuziQ113 i actually saw the neighbors across the way w a ladder climbing onto 8th floor roof. i'm not sure they had anything to do up there really. i think they were just checking it out.

@Sharon, the video sounds fun.

@margaretturk i'm sorry about the ham. i think i would be upset in the same situation. it sounds like you are being wise about it and finding healthy solutions. maybe it will be funny in the future. i have found that to be true with time. a story to tell. i would probably make all the meats and give bit of each to each to make it a more sharing thing, with gravy etc, to make it more fun and stretch them as others have suggested.

@Michelle, i think if it's something really for health (like heart rate monitor, etc., to help maintain health in a way that can really help ; maybe a portable exercycle!) then the Y can offer a gift, if it's a surprise unknown gift then no. crocheted mask sounds fun but not hygenic: lots of thickness to catch virus. i think ideally one washes them after each usage so quick drying is good too. maybe it could be one's sunday mask.

@Anne that stinks about the ex, and no news from your daughter; especially at present. i hope that evolves somehow.

@Flea , nice masks.

@bwcetc wow only eating 4h a day long term! that is pretty serious. nice that you could find a way to worship at present.

@Rebecca, same, wow for eating only 4h a day!

@hippymamax12 Welcome! i think not losing quickly and easily at 50+ is common. how tall are you?

for me until about a year or two past menaupause i could stay stable or lose weight pretty quickly. my metabolism has been slow for a long time. all women in my family tend to be overweight and some are obese. my mom was very obese in the 1960s when that was quite unusual at least in our area. in the 70s she was maybe the 2nd heaviest woman in our town of 30,000. from age 33 to 53 or so i was pretty comfortable with my weight. eating and exercise seemed to balance out overall without much trouble at all. i started having food and knee issues at about age 53 or 54 and definitely can not run anymore. i go on the elliptical but it's not the same. before i could walk out the door, walk 5 minutes jog 25 minutes to park, walk 30-45 min back, and it was pleasant and easy. this made it really easy to drop a few pounds really quickly. now sometimes i have to take it easy with simple walking. PLUS metabolism has slowed just a bit more. i'm 5' 2". i don't think i could lose with 1400 c a day even with exercise. and so recently i've gained and the lockdown has not helped at all. so i think your experience is normal. i think if you are not losing and you feel you need to lose weight, you need to increase exercise or decrease calories. i know that's really low calories but if one is small, over 50 and has low metabolism, not everyone can consume the same amount of calories as is always recommended. i was on two "petites" support groups in the past and we shared about how we kept healthy balance but also the real need to eat a bit less than what is commonly recommended because of our size, age and metabolism. some are able to get 1.5 -2 or more of aerobic exercise daily and more. i really don't think my joints would take that but maybe yours will! i would find it hard time-wise too because i'm not a point in my life when i can easily cut back on other obligations --- even during lockdown. welcome welcome.

ABOUT HAIR
    What about legs? i have not waxed legs in a couple of months. i don't REALLY need to since not in a couple and it hadn't been dress, free-leg season. and the virus doesn't make me feel like going bare legged 1st thing. but i would never in normal times, go too far since i did change at the gym in common changing room and didn't want to extremely long leg-haired. i'm not too worried about the hospital in case of emergency; if my long hair is enough to shock them i figure that things will be going very well. i do note the hairs on my calves which are not very thick are particularly long. it makes me laugh a little.

LAUNDRY: for about 1.5 years in my late 20s i had an apartment w no washer and i hand washed everything including sheets cause i hated going to the laundrimat. ah yes and also once for about 8 months in my 30s. i have never had a drier. i hang dry. i think clothes lasts longer that way too and it's ecological.

• Machka9
    ABOUT HAIR
    What about legs? i have not waxed legs in a couple of months. i don't REALLY need to since not in a couple and it hadn't been dress, free-leg season. and the virus doesn't make me feel like going bare legged 1st thing. but i would never in normal times, go too far since i did change at the gym in common changing room and didn't want to extremely long leg-haired. i'm not too worried about the hospital in case of emergency; if my long hair is enough to shock them i figure that things will be going very well. i do note the hairs on my calves which are not very thick are particularly long. it makes me laugh a little.

LAUNDRY: for about 1.5 years in my late 20s i had an apartment w no washer and i hand washed everything including sheets cause i hated going to the laundrimat. ah yes and also once for about 8 months in my 30s. i have never had a drier. i hang dry. i think clothes lasts longer that way too and it's ecological.

My legs are smoooooooth from my feet all the way up. :)

I'm in shorts or 3/4 tights just about every day with my cycling, walking and running ... or just sitting around the house feeling warm.

And I haven't had a dryer for the 11 years I've been in Australia. Dryers aren't that common in Australia. But it wasn't a big adjustment because I've been hanging most of my clothes since about 1991. I lived in an apartment with a laundry downstairs where they charged for washes and dries. I forget what the dryer charge was ... $1 maybe $2 ... but I figured that rather than dry a couple loads each week, I could save my money and just hang dry my stuff.

Machka in Oz

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    :flowerforyou: HAPPY EASTER :flowerforyou:
    :flowerforyou: Happy PASSOVER :flowerforyou: for those who celebrate these holidays.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    xb51j15nzly5.jpg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    Bananas - nobody is meant to be sitting around on the seafront, so I guess the beach huts are shut up. They are discouraging sunbathing etc. Keep moving, or go home! And if you are not a local, go home!

We went out for my 5k today, but we kept away from the seafront and just ran down the main road , through a park I have never seen before and down some side streets. Then back again. It was HOT! There is no traffic, just a few empty buses going past. Streets deserted except for one or two kids on bikes. A few people in the park. I was pleased that I had got out and boosted my exercise calories. 950 total today.

DS sent a video of the kids opening their present from us - a light up globe that shows stars at night. Bea said it was "The best Easter ever!"

It would probably have been a formal night tonight on the cruise, but I'm not dressing up. Having Hairy Bikers, broccoli and a bottle of red. Bananas, we always have cocktail hour. :oB)

Glorious weather here, but it's set to change tomorrow and get much colder. Norway will be cold, windy, snowy and rainy. We were set to go on a trip to a pretty fishing village. Brrrr! :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Hospital underwear 🩲 theory- Yeah placental abruption everything was cut off or blood soak rotting in a bag so tossed it in the biohazard ☣️ bin. Doctor laughed at that nurse shocked, well who going to wash them? Why would I want that stinky shoes 👟 for a week in my room? I left the hospital hubby y MIL shielding me y yelling in Spanish at anyone who tried to look my way as I left in red fall caution socks y a hospital gown buns for the world to see y those period panties see through useless for hiding anything baby screaming in my arms boobs leaking. So yeah the clean 🧼 underwear idea useless. Plus Docs don’t care just as long as you bathe regularly.

Amber Tx

Easter time for my Netflix y regular routine.
  • Machka9
    @Machka you have warmer weather to be in shorts all year round!

<3<3<3

I'm hot ... because of constant hotflashes. On and on throughout the day. I lose count of how many I have.

The weather isn't particularly warm. We're heading into winter now so it's cooling off but I've still got a tank top and shorts at hand in case I go through a particularly hot, tingly, nauseating set of the things. And a sweat jacket for the 5 minutes after when I'm freezing.

I've also got a small USB fan which is on and off and on and off all day long.

It's so annoying but there isn't much I can do right now.

Machka in Oz