Not quite exercise - what 'active lifestyle' activities do you enjoy throughout the day?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Playing with my 3 dogs. πŸ•πŸ•πŸ•
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    • Parking further and walk
    • Taking stairs instead of an escalator
    • Marching in place or doing bodyweight work while watching TV (push ups, leg lifts, tricep dips, planks etc.)
    • Walking my pup 2 to 3 times a day everyday
    • Using my mini-stair stepper or pace while on longer phone calls
    • Yard work, cleaning, gardening
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Swinging on the top of stair rail doing leg raises. Been doing that every day for 20 years. Abs of steal πŸ˜‚
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Walk stairs in the metro instead of taking elevator - Garmin counts it as around 20 flights a day!
    Playing with the cats.
    Various kinds of stretching when waiting for bus or standing at my desk.
    Cooking?
  • rdkdm7
    rdkdm7 Posts: 34 Member
    edited October 2019
    I look for state forests.
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    10 hour work days as an Exhibit Carpenter. Lifting sheets of plywood, moving cabinets, climbing up and down ladders. Holding up handheld power saws, sanders, drills etc.
    Makes for alot of calories burnt during the workday. I usually have 6000+ steps by lunchtime on an average day.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Learn to play the drumkit. That's always the buffest guy in a band.

Seriously though, I only watch TV at the gym on the elliptical using my iPad.
  • Cat_A_89
    Cat_A_89 Posts: 93 Member
    I walk my dogs 4/5 miles everyday good for them and good for me. Now that winter is here (it snowed last night😭) I'll see if If the weather lets me continue this lol
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    when i'm stuck inside doing laundry - i walk items 1/2 at a time to put away and then go back to the basket - rinse and repeat
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    acpgee wrote: Β»
    Learn to play the drumkit. That's always the buffest guy in a band.

Seriously though, I only watch TV at the gym on the elliptical using my iPad.

"always the buffest guy in the band". Yep unless you were Karen Carpenter who weighed 98 pounds soaking wet and yet still was a legendary drummer
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    bump - much needed for ideas with people stuck at home ...
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited April 2020
    My at-home approach is to walk around the garden once an hour (6 times), then run up and down stairs 6 times, then do 6 pull-ups.

This means I still get at least 10,000 steps without leaving the house.

I need to be slightly flexible on timings, as I seem to have a lot of work meetings at the moment.

I tend to then do a 2 or 3 hour workout in the evening, after work. I do need at least 1 day off the evening workout a week, for recovery.
  • BMcC9
    bump
  • BMcC9
    bump = Important at any time, but especially at the beginning of a month ...
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    My pups take me for walks.
  • BMcC9
    bump - If you have been working from home for a while now - what did you do to compensate for lost "trips to the photocopier on the far side of the floor" and other step-stretching NEATs-at-the-office strategies?
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    BMcC9 wrote: Β»
    what did you do to compensate for lost "trips to the photocopier on the far side of the floor" and other step-stretching NEATs-at-the-office strategies?

I've got a little routine at home, that starts after most trips to the bathroom: some jumping jacks, some air squats, some pushups, and then downing a glass of water. That's to try to make up for when I'm being sedentary, and keeps me hydrated. Just takes like a minute or so.

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    I intentionally live in "walkable neighborhoods."

While I maintain my license, I don't own a car and prefer using my legs to get around town. Now, that I live in a condo (and chose an upper level unit), I've started taking the stairs more often...even carrying groceries.

My next victory will be climbing the stairs with my bike post-ride (err, without getting chain oil or gunk on my clothes) but I'm not there yet lol

While I have a car We do this too. When I couldn't drive after some shoulder surgery I would walk at least 5k a day doing errands. I love being able to walk everywhere.