Coronavirus prep

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    In the UK it has been extended for another 3 weeks.
    Only essential journeys, work from home if possible, only go out for exercise or grocery shopping.

There is some evidence that the numbers are flattening off. What's interesting is when they show the graph of cases by country on the news our line is following the track of Italy, we are just a few weeks behind.

Two exhibition centres have been turned into hospitals. I'm sure it will be extended again in 3 weeks.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    We have to wear masks mandatory from now on in NYS.

We are probably going to be ordered to do so soon as well. They also acknowledged what everyone expected and canceled in person school through the end of the school year.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    whoami67 wrote: »
    I appreciate those who were trying to discuss politics without being political, but some of the posts in response weren't seeming to follow that guideline.

Well, politicians are making it political, and it’s a no win situation. What should take precedence, economics or lives? They are intertwined. No winners, but, losers either way. I happen to trust medical experts on this one. Lives are more important. The economy can be built back up. Err on the side of caution.

Here on the MFP forums, the terms of service we agreed to when we signed up say that political discussions are not acceptable.

People may hold any view they prefer. Here, on a diet/health/fitness site, we're expected to keep discussion politically neutral and nonpolemical. There are plenty of other social media sites where politics/polemics are expected and allowed, if people want that.

I don’t see this as political or attacking. Sorry if you see it that way. It was purely meant as a way of uniting people.

I didn't see your post as political or attacking at all, or intend mine as arguing with yours.

In a sub-thread about "getting political", I just thought it was a reasonable thing to restate why we keep it nonpolitical.here.

No criticism of you intended: Just intending to be continuing the conversation.

:flowerforyou:

Thank you for explaining. My dd actually informed me of the event, knowing how much I like Carole King.
    Tapestry was a favorite album of mine back in the ‘70’s. I wore out 2 of them. Memories of an old lady!

I dont think anyone meant the Carole King sing in was in any way political.

at least it doesnt seem so to at all me, unless I am missing something about the song or the motives.

Sounds similar to other Unite the Community initiatives taken in various places.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited April 2020
    Easter party 🎈at homes (parks closed) here the cops kept running them off they wait come right back or go to another home. One neighbor has 20cars the cops ran them off an hour before their was only 4 cars then. Went in the backyard was so loud neighbors out everywhere sounded like a school carnival 🎡. Wasn’t all the houses but the ones barbecuing had tons of friends besides family over (I could understand a couple family members depending who). One stole a broken treadmill from the yard... hubby got scared he was organizing the garage we thought it was the good one at first. Relief to know they hauled off the trash lol 😆. Wish I could see their faces when they plug it in lol.

Garage looks great we organized door closed at the end Opened garage hauled to the curb all we could ,but had to move a stove y treadmill by the cars to do it.We put the working stove they didn’t steal back in the garage. Hubby went inside for trash sacks that’s all the time they needed.

In our area some jurisdictions are asking people to please not do spring cleaning at this time and have already cancelled "large-item" haul-aways that residents are entitled to request about four times a year. Some things they would normally take with regular pickup are being left, as well. I guess they're having some staffing issues, and also are trying to eliminate situations where multiple workers have to get together to move something large.

Our community has curbside bulk pick-up along with recycling and regular trash weekly. One person and a truck with a mechanical claw for bulk. The recycling and regular trash trucks have a boom that pick up and dump the special cans. The driver never leaves the truck for those.

People routinely drive through the neighborhoods the night before pick up "shopping" for items on the curb.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2020
    test
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    oooh, that's a good one @JustSomeEm
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I sew and have made my own, but this looks good, especially for jogging. Thanks EM.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Speaking of reasons..

The other day I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things, I didnt have many bags, unlike my last trip where it took me 7 trips back and forth to get everything inside...

So I'm waiting for my cab, he shows up, and immediately walks right over to my cart right behind me pretty much shoulder to shoulder to grab some of my bags.

I said "it's okay, I got them" but he took them anyway.

So I get in the car and I see no disinfecting wipes or sanitizer, no masks no gloves.. nothing.

We get to my place and after I pay him, I get out and go around to get the bags and again he gets out and comes right up beside me and grabs some bags

Again I said "it's okay I can take them" and he said no no, I will carry them to your place, and I said no, it's fine, i can handle them.

I basically had to pry my bags from his hands.

I honestly wouldnt think.. at this point that i would have to be blunt and state the obvious about social distancing... as it's been everywhere you go for weeks. So it surprised me that twice he gave no thought to himself or me..

In trying to be a gentleman he removed my ability twice to maintain my own 6 feet of space.

I dont know if he just didnt get it? Or if he just didnt care. But it's people like that, that would make it hard to reopen parts of the city or county without them just coming into that space.

I was pretty mad.. last thing I need is to catch this just before I return to work because someone else just didnt care or doesnt take it seriously enough.

All i could think was... what if he had done this for all his passengers? Then by being that close to me, shared it with me cause he picked it up from someone else.... what if I was unlucky enough to bring something home from the store and by him grabbing my bags, hes got it and now sharing it with new passengers.

I actually wrote a tiny rant about it on my main profile as a vent, and someone that is no longer a friend cause they deleted themselves, condescendingly told me that they Hope I find happiness in my life so I dont blame others.

So besides the cab driver, here is another person who seems to think violation of space and potential infection from someone else should be invited with love and acceptance.

I dont blame those who ended up with it, it spread so quickly, and it's been hard to control, but I will get mad at those who dont do their own part to work together to protect those who haven't yet. Its gonna spread enough as it is, just trying to maintain some essential services to live and work, why make it harder?

Keep your distance. Wash your hands. And those red arrows on the floor at the grocery store indicating which direction the flow of the aisle is.. follow it, dont just barge down the wrong way because you're only getting 1 thing and you dont wanna walk down another aisle just to go in the right direction. It's not hard..

Lol... so frustrating when I see things like this

Perhaps a call to the cab company as a gentle reminder, since this has happened more than once.

One cab company in our community advertises that their drivers don't stink (obviously implying drivers for the other companies do). When that is the bar one is working with a call would most likely be a waste of breathe.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Speaking of reasons..

The other day I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things, I didnt have many bags, unlike my last trip where it took me 7 trips back and forth to get everything inside...

So I'm waiting for my cab, he shows up, and immediately walks right over to my cart right behind me pretty much shoulder to shoulder to grab some of my bags.

So I get in the car and I see no disinfecting wipes or sanitizer, no masks no gloves.. nothing.

We get to my place and after I pay him, I get out and go around to get the bags and again he gets out and comes right up beside me and grabs some bags

Again I said "it's okay I can take them" and he said no no, I will carry them to your place, and I said no, it's fine, i can handle them.

I honestly wouldnt think.. at this point that i would have to be blunt and state the obvious about social distancing... as it's been everywhere you go for weeks. So it surprised me that twice he gave no thought to himself or me..

In trying to be a gentleman he removed my ability twice to maintain my own 6 feet of space.

I dont know if he just didnt get it? Or if he just didnt care. But it's people like that, that would make it hard to reopen parts of the city or county without them just coming into that space.

I was pretty mad.. last thing I need is to catch this just before I return to work because someone else just didnt care or doesnt take it seriously enough.

All i could think was... what if he had done this for all his passengers? Then by being that close to me, shared it with me cause he picked it up from someone else.... what if I was unlucky enough to bring something home from the store and by him grabbing my bags, hes got it and now sharing it with new passengers.

I actually wrote a tiny rant about it on my main profile as a vent, and someone that is no longer a friend cause they deleted themselves, condescendingly told me that they Hope I find happiness in my life so I dont blame others.

So besides the cab driver, here is another person who seems to think violation of space and potential infection from someone else should be invited with love and acceptance.

I dont blame those who ended up with it, it spread so quickly, and it's been hard to control, but I will get mad at those who dont do their own part to work together to protect those who haven't yet. Its gonna spread enough as it is, just trying to maintain some essential services to live and work, why make it harder?

Keep your distance. Wash your hands. And those red arrows on the floor at the grocery store indicating which direction the flow of the aisle is.. follow it, dont just barge down the wrong way because you're only getting 1 thing and you dont wanna walk down another aisle just to go in the right direction. It's not hard..

Perhaps a call to the cab company as a gentle reminder, since this has happened more than once.

One cab company in our community advertises that their drivers don't stink (obviously implying drivers for the other companies do). When that is the bar one is working with a call would most likely be a waste of breathe.

Omg... hahahaha

To be honest, I have had to call a few times about things, like a cab driver who paid me back in tokens from something and the coins looked like loonies at quick glance.

I had to call when a driver taking me to work refused to turn around when he started taking me long way to work, usually its $20.. I told him I wasnt paying more then 20 and when we arrived, insisted I pay the $30 on the meter, I got out of the car refusing and he followed me in demanding I pay and that he has Bill's to pay and, after only taking $20 he told me I owe him money for ripping me off.

I had to call again when a cab driver was again taking me to work and a small chunk of ice flew off the roof of his car. He stopped on the highway and then proceeded to back up!! I'm like "what the hell are you doing?" And he wouldnt answer me. After 5 min of backing up he decided to give up trying to find the ice I guess and continue on. He charged me more for the fare for distance he had already traveled and charged me for.

I honestly dont think they really care, even tho they're considered city employees, in a sense.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Speaking of reasons..

Omg... hahahaha

To be honest, I have had to call a few times about things, like a cab driver who paid me back in tokens from something and the coins looked like loonies at quick glance.

I had to call when a driver taking me to work refused to turn around when he started taking me long way to work, usually its $20.. I told him I wasnt paying more then 20 and when we arrived, insisted I pay the $30 on the meter, I got out of the car refusing and he followed me in demanding I pay and that he has Bill's to pay and, after only taking $20 he told me I owe him money for ripping me off.

I had to call again when a cab driver was again taking me to work and a small chunk of ice flew off the roof of his car. He stopped on the highway and then proceeded to back up!! I'm like "what the hell are you doing?" And he wouldnt answer me. After 5 min of backing up he decided to give up trying to find the ice I guess and continue on. He charged me more for the fare for distance he had already traveled and charged me for.

I honestly dont think they really care, even tho they're considered city employees, in a sense.

Do you have Uber or Lyft in your area?
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    No. The cab companies here have been really fighting against it. We have 2 different companies here and they are both essentially the same lol.. the fares are the same etc.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    No. The cab companies here have been really fighting against it. We have 2 different companies here and they are both essentially the same lol.. the fares are the same etc.

Hopefully you will get them soon. Your local cab companies need a reality check.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Lol... yeah it's annoying when certain companies dont have any competition so that they have to care more.

It's the same with power here, only one company exists, nova scotia power, so no matter what they do, you have no choice but to stay with them, pay their rates, etc
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Cab fares are usually set by the city, IME.