Are you a hard gainer, please read!

Replies

• Stephany11202019
    Stephany11202019 Posts: 20 Member
    Well. Idk if “hard gainers” scientifically is true, but I do know for me it seems to be (in terms of just eating how I normally would). Which growing up involved all three main meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner, and snacks. After school I would always be searching the cupboards for all the snacks I could find. I’d usually have a little bit of everything. Aka a couple or few difficult things. Genetics play a factor in everyone’s body make up. But possibly even more-so related to genetics for me. I have a heart condition (aka a connective tissue disorder). And in my heart condition it is seen that people with it have a very hard time gaining weight. Also some of the physical characteristics of the disease are tall, slender, skinny (I can’t remember if they use this word too, but they for sure use slender), long fingers, long legs etc.

Honestly I’ve always wondered why I was so skinny.

Wether it’s because of the condition or not I know it is at least part of it. There’s no mistaking that.

So that’s why I added this app. Because it’s just getting to me lately. My boyfriend can eat way more than me n it amazes me and perplexes me at the same time. I added this app so I could increase my calorie intake and see it being reached (the amount I need to consume in order to gain weight). Idk if it’s going to work, but I’m going to try. It has to work.

If anyone doesn’t believe me or wants to know more about it look it up if you want. It’s called Marfan Syndrome. And I was looking things up online (n it says they still don’t understand why people like me have a hard time gaining weight) n added at the end the only thing they can offer is suggesting to see a dietitian and follow the pyramid guidelines.

It even says on there that as people get older (who has Marfan syndrome) that they tend to gain weight in the middle region. Hoping it doesn’t happen to me because I don’t want a huge stomach. Just good proportionate meat division. If you know what I mean. Some here, there, there, n there. With out going into any details.
  • Stephany11202019
    Also I forgot to ask. Is this discussion focused more on building muscle while gaining weight or could it be helpful for if you just want to gain weight?
  • Stephany11202019
    I suggest looking up Marfan Syndrome weight issues. It isn’t always mentioned when going through the run through of the condition. You know. ..... those bullet point lists.
  • Stephany11202019
    Here a picture. This is from one of their website. There’s even a main website for it. I believe this is it.0be7cdnumvfl.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Also I forgot to ask. Is this discussion focused more on building muscle while gaining weight or could it be helpful for if you just want to gain weight?

Its for anyone who is looking to gain weight. I would recommend tracking calories for 2-3 weeks and adjust from there. Its quite possible that those with your syndrome, have struggles adding enough calories.
  • kdaacrawford
    kdaacrawford Posts: 1 Member
    Old thread but I’m new. Due to pacemaker surgery last summer I have lost a total of 20lbs. My weight last week was 91 lbs I only stand 4 11 but am way to skinny. Dr has finally released me back to the gym but wants me to limit cardio and focus on weights. Ugh not my strong point. I have added 1 ensure drink a day to my 3 meals and 2lbs to the + at this point. High cholesterol means limit to fat again ugh. I believe if I make my warm up and cool down my only cardio then this will help. I hate whey drinks, I just can’t do it. Goal is 105lbs
  • psuLemon
    Old thread but I’m new. Due to pacemaker surgery last summer I have lost a total of 20lbs. My weight last week was 91 lbs I only stand 4 11 but am way to skinny. Dr has finally released me back to the gym but wants me to limit cardio and focus on weights. Ugh not my strong point. I have added 1 ensure drink a day to my 3 meals and 2lbs to the + at this point. High cholesterol means limit to fat again ugh. I believe if I make my warm up and cool down my only cardio then this will help. I hate whey drinks, I just can’t do it. Goal is 105lbs

Good luck. Make sure you incorporate plenty of plant based fats and fatty fish. High cholesterol isn't always a good indicator. Your other numbers (triglycerides, A1C, LDL, etc.... ) all have important implacations. What i have found is that dietary fat has little to no impact on most those numbers.

I would recommend gaining weight slowly and following a structured resistance routine to help mitagate fat gains.
  • alexaltair
    alexaltair Posts: 2 Member
    Sounds a bit "easy" for me, a lot of people can digest everything. But it is a harder for me to choose something from the list (I do have IBS, lactose intolerance).
    The best way I found so far is frequent meals with meats, salomon, chicken breast, oat, buckwheat, nuts.
  • martinezselenaa7992
    martinezselenaa7992 Posts: 3 Member
    Im 24 weight 100 too skinny i need help with names of foods to eat or what can i do i want some legs and bubble butt please help me
  • SossyDubois
    SossyDubois Posts: 1 Member
    Pizza, honey buns and as much cheese? Why not a couple extra tablespoons of coconut or olive oil or an avocado? I don't think it would be wise to remove all other factors of health aside from caloric intake.... For me that's gunna make me feel like garbage, which will reduce my activity levels. I'd definitely gain weight tho...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Pizza, honey buns and as much cheese? Why not a couple extra tablespoons of coconut or olive oil or an avocado? I don't think it would be wise to remove all other factors of health aside from caloric intake.... For me that's gunna make me feel like garbage, which will reduce my activity levels. I'd definitely gain weight tho...

I don't think anyone is saying to throw nutrition out the window, but to get those extra calories in nothing wrong with those types of foods to fill in the gaps. They are typically less filling and easy to overeat (which is good in this case). There are many different calorie dense food options and you should chose what you feel is best for you and makes you feel good. For me some of those high sugar foods are less filling and actually help my workout performance (where I feel extra oil or avocado would not).
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2020

You should probably actually read the thread. That has been discussed ad nauseam through out this entire post.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited March 2020
    How can you hit your daily caloric goals without going over your fat intake? Right now my goals are: 2700 calories, 45% carbs, 30% fats, 25% protein which = 304 carbs, 90 fat, and 169 protein.

I find I can easily hit my caloric goals if I stuff myself with fatty meats like steak, beef, and salmon. But then I go over my fat intake and also have less room for carbs.

Maybe I should try to eat "starchier" foods such as bread, potato, and pasta? I find that eating "healthier" carbs such as sweet potatoes, rice, and quinoa fill me up, but don't really add much to my caloric or carbohydrate intake.
  • psuLemon
    How can you hit your daily caloric goals without going over your fat intake? Right now my goals are: 2700 calories, 45% carbs, 30% fats, 25% protein which = 304 carbs, 90 fat, and 169 protein.

I find I can easily hit my caloric goals if I stuff myself with fatty meats like steak, beef, and salmon. But then I go over my fat intake and also have less room for carbs.

Maybe I should try to eat "starchier" foods such as bread, potato, and pasta? I find that eating "healthier" carbs such as sweet potatoes, rice, and quinoa fill me up, but don't really add much to my caloric or carbohydrate intake.

There is nothing wrong with going over your fat goal. I could run a bulk with 60% fats and be fine. What is important is calories.
  • darreneatschicken
    edited March 2020
    psuLemon wrote: »

There is nothing wrong with going over your fat goal. I could run a bulk with 60% fats and be fine. What is important is calories.

Then how come I keep hearing that your fat intake should only be about 30% of your daily intake?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon wrote: »

Then how come I keep hearing that your fat intake should only be about 30% of your daily intake?

Because the sources you are looking at provide random guidelines??? Or over generalizations?

There is a lot of myths that haven't gone away as it is related to fat. Just get the fat from whole foods instead of processed foods and you are good.
  • pascalgerritsen
    pascalgerritsen Posts: 1 Member

Read section 4 (scrolled to automatically if you click here) of this article.

TL/DR: you need all types of fat except trans fats and the percentages don't matter that much (ranging from 20% to 75%) as what does matters are the total calories.
  • darreneatschicken
    edited April 2020

Read section 4 (scrolled to automatically if you click here) of this article.

TL/DR: you need all types of fat except trans fats and the percentages don't matter that much (ranging from 20% to 75%) as what does matters are the total calories.

Yeah. I changed my macros to 45% carbs, 35% fats, and 20% protein. Finding it much easier to hit my caloric goals now because I can eat pizza and steak all day long.
  • darreneatschicken
    edited April 2020
    I can't help but wonder though... if someone does a bulk with his daily fats set at a lower percentage, will his gains be "leaner" than someone who bulks with a very high fat consumption?

Like take two people. They both are male, weigh the same, are the same height and are the same age. They both run the same program and both eat at a caloric surplus of 250 calories a day.

However, person A eats with a 30% carbs, 50% fats, and 20% protein macro split.

Person B eats with a 50% carbs, 30% fats, and 20% protein macro split.

Will their results be the same? Or will person A gain more fat than person B simply because he consumed more fat?
  • psuLemon
    I can't help but wonder though... if someone does a bulk with his daily fats set at a lower percentage, will his gains be "leaner" than someone who bulks with a very high fat consumption?

Like take two people. They both are male, weigh the same, are the same height and are the same age. They both run the same program and both eat at a caloric surplus of 250 calories a day.

However, person A eats with a 30% carbs, 50% fats, and 20% protein macro split.

Person B eats with a 50% carbs, 30% fats, and 20% protein macro split.

Will their results be the same? Or will person A gain more fat than person B simply because he consumed more fat?

Lean bulk refers to the amount of calories over maintenance. Not the macro percentage.