Dress sizes in ladies 5'4-5'7

2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    This site has pictures of ladies that are searchable by height, weight, age, clothing size. It gives a good perspective of how women vary at similar measurements: https://www.mybodygallery.com/index.html#.XE9JIVxKgko

Thank you for this link! I'm always uncomfortable posting that my maintenance weight is around 155 since it sounds so much higher than the weight posted by other maintainers. But these photos confirm that 155 is a reasonable, maintainable weight for my body type and puts me at a size I'm comfortable wearing.

Meh. My maintenance range is around 170-175 and I'm loving it. Don't compare your goals to other people's. They're YOUR goals for a reason.
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    This is the disappointing thing about sizes in the US. My sister and I went on the weight loss journey together and we were 5 lbs, 165 and 170 difference between us with her being 5'6" and I'm 5'5". She was a size 10/12 and I was more a size 6/8. I worked out a little more than she did and I don't know if that made the biggest difference. I did a back slide and now I'm trying to get back to where I just felt comfortable putting on clothes and not fretting over it like I do now.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Vanity sizing encourages sales. You can be a size 16 and fit into a vanity size 10. A size 10 can fit into a vanity size 4. Sizes are all over the board. One size does not fit all. ;) Buy what makes you happy and if your jeans still fit you must acquit.
  • Annie42019
    Annie42019 Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2020
    For dresses you need to look at bra size too. I’m 5’6” and 130 pounds. I started at 205 pounds. I was a size 16 in pants and an XL OR XXL in tops. Probably a 40F OR G bra. Now I’m a size 6 in pants and a small in most tops. But in dresses that have a zipper that is close fitting on top I often need a size 10. I’m a 36DDD currently.
  • Cerizez
    Cerizez Posts: 155 Member
    I believe you will have to lose around 5 pounds to have a smaller size and see visible changes in your body. However, everytime when you order something check once again the sizes of your breast, hips and butt. Personally, these sizes drive me crazy when I want to order something online, especially from Europe. I’d be more than happy if they will make an international size and not to confuse people.

In Europe, the sizes correspond to your body measurements: size 38 means that it will fit hips of 38 inches; size 36 fits hips of 36 inches, etc.

I don't know if this works with tops, but it definitely works with pants/trousers.

There is no logic for UK/Irl sizes, as a general guide, they're 2 sizes up from US sizes. A US size 6 is a UK/Irl size 10. But then, each store has their own logic when creating the sizes for their clothes.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    Cerizez wrote: »
    I believe you will have to lose around 5 pounds to have a smaller size and see visible changes in your body. However, everytime when you order something check once again the sizes of your breast, hips and butt. Personally, these sizes drive me crazy when I want to order something online, especially from Europe. I’d be more than happy if they will make an international size and not to confuse people.

In Europe, the sizes correspond to your body measurements: size 38 means that it will fit hips of 38 inches; size 36 fits hips of 36 inches, etc.

I don't know if this works with tops, but it definitely works with pants/trousers.

There is no logic for UK/Irl sizes, as a general guide, they're 2 sizes up from US sizes. A US size 6 is a UK/Irl size 10. But then, each store has their own logic when creating the sizes for their clothes.

That's a lovely theory, but it sure doesn't work that way (anymore?), an Italian 38 is way smaller than a German 38, for example.
  • erinpatsy
    erinpatsy Posts: 25 Member
    F, 5’6”, 140, US pant size 11 currently. For better measurements I’m 36/30/40. Yes, pear-shaped, lol. At my highest, I was 167 and a size 13. 27 pound difference and only two sizes but I did drop 5 inches from my waist. They say it can take up to 25+ pounds to drop a dress size if you’re in the double digits - higher sizes tend to have more leeway and give than smaller sizes, hence the need to lose more weight than, say, going from a size 8 to a size 6.
  • erinpatsy
    erinpatsy Posts: 25 Member
    Also, measuring your weight loss can be a better tool than clothing size because of the reason I stated above. I got really discouraged because I wasn’t seeing a huge difference with my pants but the scale kept showing I was losing weight. So I started measuring and found that I, in fact, WAS losing inches. Damn you double digit pants!! 😆
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    Not sure if this is helpful because I am a bit shorter than you, especially when I first started on here. I am 5'3 and I have grown 1.5 inches as I lost weight and also due to getting older, I also guess my posture straightened out as I lost weight. But when I first started on here about 7 years ago I was 5'1.5 and weighed 238, and I was a size 18-20 in jeans and in dresses I was a size 22. Now I am 5'3 and weigh 124 and wear a size 4 in jeans and a 4-6 in dresses.
  • kiontreydorlen
    kiontreydorlen Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2021

I agree that it is challenging to find a clothing size that will fit all parameters. For me, clothes have to be perfect because I want to feel confident. My mom helped me choose a size when I was little, and I only relied on her. But now I have to figure it out on my own, especially when you're losing weight or gaining weight. I think you need to look at the size chart. First, measure your measurements: your shoulders, chest, waist, and hips. You can also try ordering clothes online https://lookatme.sh/. There's a big plus because right on the site when you choose your clothes, you can size yourself. I quite often find good clothes just online and always find the right size.

• Turtlemummy
    Turtlemummy Posts: 71 Member
    I'm 5'7, in the UK. Starting MFP I was 153lb, and size 10 UK/ size 6 US was getting too tight. Didn't want to buy the size 12/8 clothes I really needed, so lost the weight.
    I'm now hovering around 130lb and in size 8 UK/ size 4 US. Jeans sometimes a size up depending on the fit.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I'm 5'5" and 125 lbs.

My dress size is largely determined by what fits my CHEST and that varies by material and cut. TBF it's usually a 10, unless something is stretchy, in which case I can get away with a 6 or 8. I'm not huge, but I'm big enough to need to watch it .

Jeans size 6ish is fine. I don't see me going down further. The limitation there is the width of my pelvis. As in: My bones at the top aren't gonna smoosh closer because of weight loss, you know?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited November 2021
    I'm a little out of your range at 5'7 1/2", and because I've got big boobs, I'm listing my top and bottom sizes separately, because they're very different:
    • 210 lbs- jeans 20, tops & dresses 20/22
    • 190 lbs- jeans 18, tops & dresses 20
    • 180 lbs- jeans a TIGHT 16, tops & dresses 18
    • 160 lbs- jeans baggy 16 tight 14, tops & dresses 18
    • 145 lbs- jeans 12, tops & dresses 16
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    It really depends. When I started I was 5'8" and now 5'7". I found that changing sizes varied quite a bit as a lost weight. Initially (at 226) I had to lose about 25 lbs to see a difference in size. when I got to 170 or so I bought a lot of clothes in a size 14 and I lost about 10 lbs and they were all too big. I was doing a lot more exercise at that time. Over the next 6 months I lost about 20 more lbs and went to a size 8. And sizes are just not consistent these days.
  • mjc614900
    mjc614900 Posts: 30 Member
    Just saying - this is a strange setting of sizes. I am 5'1 and now weigh 130, presently size 8. In my professional days 30 years ago I weighed 110. Size 4. But more expensive high quality stores, I wore a 2. I think that was because they were sized differently because no one wants to wear a bigger size.
  • Chubbynomore10
    Chubbynomore10 Posts: 947 Member
    edited November 2021
    When I was in my 20s at 5' 5.5" at 125-130 I had a 28" waist and wore a size 9 jeans (but that was when the sizes started at 2, I think. All I really remember was the 5 7 9 shop). All of my extra weight is carried above the hips...I am an apple, so this might not apply to you. If I had any extra weight then, it didn't bother me. That was the weight at which I felt best. Since that has been 40 years I thought my waist size might help more now since they haven't messed with the measuring tape, yet....lol.

Also, after losing 70 pounds or so, my shoe size went from 10 to 8.5

Now at 160 I am wearing size 12/14 stretch pants but only because of my waist. They are very loose over my hips and legs. Maybe one fine day I will be in proportion again. Weight distribution makes a very big difference.
  • soldodunja2910
    soldodunja2910 Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2022
    Right now I’m at 125 and usually a size 2. Unless there is no stretch I have to size up because im curvy. In tops I’m anywhere from an xs to s really depends on the brand. At my heaviest I was 150 and a size 6. My pant size didn't go up that much cause I had a lot of fat go to my butt / thigs / stomach. I had a mental breakdown and the medications made me gain weight, so I was more worried about my mental health at that at the time than what my size was.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    I find it massively depends on manufacturer and style.
    5ft 5 and 130-135lb.

I wear anything (and everything) from a UK 6-12!
  • Azzie521
    Azzie521 Posts: 32 Member
    I weigh 123 lbs, 5'4", pear shape so I'm very small on top. I wear a dress size 4 or 6
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    As an update I'm sitting at 120-125 now and have toned up/tightened up/evened out over the past little bit and yeah. My dress size is still mostly a medium still because of breasts but my pants size is about a 2. Weirdness. (Same waist size (27) that had me in an 8 30 years ago though)