Accountability buddy

Replies

• CatieMay123
    CatieMay123 Posts: 26 Member
    @kiay131982 you can find it at Walmart. It’s peanut butter but the oil is removed so it’s much lower in calories and fat. It’s powder you mix it with water it’s 60 calories for 2 Tbs vs 170... and I love my peanut butter! It doesn’t taste as good as natural peanut butter but it’s very close and guilt free!

@mnalsa83 I definitely need to work on my posture and balance too. I’ve only done 80 day obsession so far but some of the moves get difficult without good balance. A foundation like that would be good for me!
  • jodymaro1
    jodymaro1 Posts: 63 Member
    Hey there. I’m Jody from NY, age 50. I too am looking for more friends.
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited April 2020
    Hi @jodymaro1

I am also on the 40/30/30 macros. The only way I usually hit my 100g of protein is by having a premiere protein drink. Which I love.

Had a good day today. Did 40 min on the treadmill. Warmed up and cooled down for 5 min. Then did 30 min of 2 min jog at 5.2 and 1 min walk at 3.8. Felt good to get back slowly into running. Then did a 10 min Fitbit ab workout. Then went for a 5 km walk this evening before supper. Legs are still pretty sore from Tuesday’s workout. So hope to get in a good workout again tomorrow.

@kiay131982 @CatieMay123 I use PB&me. I mix the powder into my Greek vanilla yogurt
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,307 Member
    I hope everyone is doing well and making progress! I typed a message earlier this week with an update but realized the next day that it never posted 😕. So, please take a moment to think of something you’re proud of this week and bask in the light ... because I lost all the personalized messages I wrote to celebrate you all 🎉. Things are going fairly well here regarding calorie intake but I had never looked at the macros information until I saw the exchange above. When I looked at my breakdown, I realized that my carbs are really high. Since then, I’ve been trying to increase my protein intake and hope to make some long term changes to get the macros in better balance. Thanks for all your good suggestions and support!
  • jvando74
    jvando74 Posts: 29 Member
    Hello everyone, and welcome new friends! I am damn tired! It’s my fault. I’m failing miserably at getting to bed on time. The good news is that I haven’t let that derail my nutrition and fitness goals. I think of all of you and stop the chocolate binge. 😊 Still working on the coconut cake (it’s sooo good!), but I’ve still been a smidge under calories, which tells you just how much I was snacking before! I feel like I can see results, but I’m not ready to take my measurements quite yet. I’m feeling very positive and I feel like I’m making progress on behavior change, and if those measurements don’t come down I think I’ll feel discouraged. Better to stay positive, I say!

I don’t love peanut butter (unless it’s in desert form), but I do love almond butter and I make my own since it’s so expensive. I’m sure you could do the same with peanut butter. I just Roast my almonds in the oven then blitz them in the food processor. I do add a bit of canola oil, but it’s not strictly necessary. It comes out delicious!

Goals for remainder of tonight:
    Do PT for diastasis recti
    Do core exercises
    Get to bed by 11pm
  • kiay131982
    kiay131982 Posts: 217 Member
    Morning all!!

@CatieMay123 ooh I will have to look see if I can get that here in the UK, usually I take a jar and grind nuts at the zero waste shop.

@jodymaro1 welcome!!! :)

@renaegry well done in getting on that treadmill! Once Im in the flow of running then I find that if I skip a session my head gets grumpy!! I need that time for me! I also only hit protein target if I supplement with a shake - I dont usually buy it as its packaged, but with lockdown and new goals to come out of it feeling good currently keeping my mind healthy, Ive just ordered some... We will work out how to reuse the bags so that I dont have guilt :)

@PatriceFitnessPal thanks for all your kind words 😅. I think macros definitely make a difference in how you feel as well as weight loss, however dont expect it to be an overnight thing, its something I have found I need to work on ALOT.

@jvando74 well done on keeping nutrition on point even with coconut cake.... I am trying to be strong, my mother in law sent us a chocolate slab cake, I havent touched it yet but the temptation is real!!!!

As for me, I was naughty and weighed on a non weigh day again... My bad!! However If I can lose 3/4lb today then Ive managed to hit 8lb in 2 weeks and so hopefully thats enough to keep me on track today. I have a gym session with my PT today, might also do an extra core workout, get my 13k steps in and in general just keep moving!!! Its raining here for the first time in a while so a walk in the rain might be really refreshing!! :)

Does anyone meal plan in advance, having worked out calories etc? Its something I want to do but it feels so daunting!!
  • Cerizez
    Cerizez Posts: 155 Member
    @mnalsa83 - we're in Dublin/Ireland, and yesterday we were told our lockdown is being extended past 5 May. Which is ok: my short term goal is still 5 May.

Yesterday, I successfully made bread so was in satiated-stomach-heaven. I'm coeliac and allergic to corn/maize/rice, so haven't eaten bread in sooooo long. I switched up some of the ingredients on a recipe I had tried before and not liked, and made some really nice sandwich bread. It's not like a nice crunchy ciabatta, but the simple pleasure of being able to just eat a regular sandwich was so enjoyable and really hit the spot.

@kiay131982 - I never meal plan. I live alone, so tend to cook batches and then freeze the surplus so there's usually something in the freezer ready to go. I tend to have pancakes for breakfast, and after that - it's whatever in the freezer takes my fancy.

I, too, have started paying more attention to macros: I find I feel sooooo much better when my fat content is up: I can concentrate better, am happier, more energised and am less hungry.

If anyone wants paleo-recipes to help manage macros by increasing fat & protein, elenaspantry has lots of free really simple tasty recipes where you don't need crazy fancy ingredients. https://elanaspantry.com/ She says not to use almond-meal, to use almond-flour instead. However, over here, I've tried both and can't see any difference in texture or results so I just use almond-meal as that's 1/4 the price of almond flour.

I hope you're all meeting your goals and staying well.
  • LJRS2019
    LJRS2019 Posts: 66 Member
    Hey everyone, sounds like everyone is doing well. This group is definitely helping me to keep going, well done OP bringing us all together.
    Today is the second day on my macro split of 40:30:30 cfp. It ended up working out to be pretty much 1/3 of each but that's OK. I think this is going to be a game changer. Do you know when people say "little changes" like one week focus on getting more fats in, the more fruit, more protein, etc... I kind of hit everything on the head just doing this, I hit a protein target, 5 lots of fruit and veg, very balanced macros and reduction in bad fat and increase in the good stuff. Just need to keep it up. But if I eat like this 80% of the time then everything will fall into place.

What is everyone doing today or tomorrow dependent on where you are?
  • kiay131982
    Ive just done an online weights session with my PT and about to do a core workout too.... Then I will get some work in before a walk this afternoon :)

How are you hitting your protein target @LJRS2019?
  • mnalsa83
    mnalsa83 Posts: 172 Member
    @CatieMay123
    I figured if i do it before a workout, it can be a little warm up and get my head focused. I really should end my workouts with an easy yoga program as my stretch. I am so tight right now. I tried doing some stretches that used to be easy & uh… I lost my flexibility. Getting old stinks.

Welcome @jodimaro1

@renaegry sounds like you had a really good day.

All the RUNNERS on here, I am a little jealous. I can’t get into it. I just don’t find it entertaining / interesting. I would love to. My mom got into running in her late 40’s and loves it. I try to run with her, when we’re on vacation together, but I just can’t fall in love with it.

@kiay131982 I do and don't have a meal plan. I sit down on Friday nights and come up with 2-3 breakfasts for the week (which become my lunch) and 4-5 dinner ideas. I make sure I have all the ingredients so I don't have to run out to the store and buy unnecessary “snacks” I don't need on a whim. I won’t batch cook, but I will cook throughout the week & the leftovers will become my lunch and/or dinner another night, if my hubby doesn’t eat it all. Having these as foundations let me have options, instead of on the whim quick, cheap, easy, bad choices.

@Cerizez sorry to hear it was extended, but it still gives hope that we may be close. Right now Delaware (US) still has a May 15 date in mind for schools and business, as long as trend keeps slowing up. Fingers crossed.

@LJRS2019 Amazing that you hit your targets. Small steps can take us far. I guess you’re right. Start with one small foundation and build on it. I have a few books (that are older…. Carb addicts diet, change one, & picture perfect) they talk about learning to plate your food (which is macro in a sense) but they also break it down into starting with one meal and then another and further on.

As for today, it’s Friday. Last day of the week. Working alone in the office today. 8 hours of follow up calls and insurance forms. Finish up school work with the kiddos. Balance the checkbook. And Pick my meals for next week. Plus some Tai Chi and another workout, not quite sure what yet… hmmmm….

Keep moving forward.... One step at a time..... we'll reach the finish line!
  • kiay131982
    @mnalsa83 I used to hate running. Couldn't do it. Couldnt go far. Tried a couch to 5k app several times but never completed it. Then a friend introduced me to Zombies Run 5k training programme and I loved it! Ran 5k in the 8 weeks after starting it and became hooked! Went on to also do the 10k programme and managed that first time round too. Im currently building back up as I had an injury that stopped me running... But i LOVE my zombie runs :)
  • LJRS2019
    kiay131982 wrote: »
    Ive just done an online weights session with my PT and about to do a core workout too.... Then I will get some work in before a walk this afternoon :)

How are you hitting your protein target @LJRS2019?

@kiay131982 I am making 1/3 of my meals with protein so it seems to be getting me in the ball park quite easily. I read that as long as you within 5% of your macro goals then don't get to hung up on it.

Sounds like you are doing well with your weight session!
  • LJRS2019
    @mnalsa83 Sounds like you are having a good end of the week. Also, what is tai chi? I have heard about it but don't really know what it is?
  • mnalsa83
    mnalsa83 Posts: 172 Member
    @kiay131982 I will have to look into the Zombie Run. Thank you.

@LJRS2019 tai chi is a form of martial arts. I downloaded Beachbody on Demand for some variety in my workout, since I am not good with home workout (get distracted to easily) and they have a tai chi version that I am giving a go at. 2 days down and I didn't realize how off my posture was.
  • kiay131982
    Hope everyone is doing ok? Today was weigh in day for me

Start weight 160lb
    Week one 155lb
    Week two 152.75lb

Been for a run and tracked my food (preemptively put dinner in) and Im under cals today :) feeling good!!

Xx
  • As_ve
    As_ve Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2020
    Hello Everybody! I have read your posts and I am glad everybody is doing so well. Keep it up!

@Cerizez Is it difficult to make bread? Although I like to cook and bake, I have never made it. But I have recently put banana bread on my 'to bake' list. It is nice that you can enjoy it even though you have coeliac disease. :)

@mnalsa83 How long have you been doing tai chi? That's so cool, you probably get very strong from it.

I just want to let you guys how grateful I am for this community chat. This week it has been very easy to stay on track. I have been logging all my calories, I have moved a lot like I said I was going to do and I haven't eaten outside the 8:00-20:00 range. It's incredible actually, after 20:00 my mind doesn't think about food anymore, it just doesn't go there anymore! Only on Wednesday I indulged too much, which I just consider one of those (both awful and delightful) cheat days. I can live with it tbh. ;) Instead of having cheat days, I'll rather have cheat meals from now on.

My progress is going slowly: I lose about 0,5 kg a week. But what did I expect? If I'd lose more, it wouldn't be a very healthy situation, considering I am already in a healthy weight range. I hope by next week I will weigh 59 kilos, because that's my goal for April. This is quite a special number on the scale for me. Last time I went on a successful diet, I stopped at that number. Mentally, it was very convenient to maintain this amount of weight, because then I could tell myself that as long as I didn't hit 60 kg ever again (which I obv did a couple of times), I'd be fine. Though this year I'll be losing another 5 kg just to reclaim the body I had before university life. I am looking forward to the next couple of weeks, when my weight loss will become visible.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    @kiay131982 That’s fantastic! You’ve made significant progress in a short time. I’m steadily on track at 1 pound per week lost.

I’m going for a run now and maybe I’ll throw the baseball with my son but I’m not sure if my shoulder is up to the task. I might have to kick the soccer ball with him instead. I’ll look forward to hearing updates from others if you get a chance to check in today. Go get that goal of yours 💫!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited April 2020
    @Astrid_Vervoort It looks as though we were posting updates at the same time. I’m aiming for 59 kilos but, right now, I weigh about 68 kilos (150 pounds). My goal is to weigh 145 pounds at the end of next month. I agree that half a kilo is a perfect pace for you at your body weight. Congratulations!! Your work is paying off.

I’ll try to catch up in response to some of the other comments but I’ve been a bit behind since last week. @Cerizez My husband made some bread this week and, though I appreciate the gesture, I won’t be having a second piece 🤢 ... our secret here ... 🤐 Good for you to find a way to improvise and let me know if you want me to send some of my husband’s bread to your sister! 👿 😂
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,253 Member
    @kiay131982 Every morning I try to log
    My meals for the day. Then I can see how many calories I have for snacks etc. Wait to go on your loss. That’s awesome

Had a good day yesterday. Got in a 6 km walk and did a 20 min Quick HIIT fitbit workout which wasn’t that great followed by weights of bench press, dead lifts, bicep curls and triceps.

Today is a rest day. Hope to get on the treadmill tomorrow

• shayf22
    shayf22 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi everyone. I am new here starting at 255 pounds. Ive lost weight from 287 to 243 and gained a little back to now be at 255. I keep trying to start diets and for some reason Im having intense cravings and a hard time ignoring them which keeps ruining my diet. I always convince myself today will be the last cheat day and I'll be serious starting tomorrow, but looking back Ive been doing this almost daily now which is interrupting my diet Any advice?