Post Pandemic Bounce Back

I’ve managed to keep some of my definition but I know I’ve lost quite a bit of muscle and strength through this pandemic. Any recommendations for how to get that back quickly?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Home strength training routines, calorie control and minding your protein intake.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I've been searching YouTube for good workouts. Sydney Cummings and Yvette Bachman have great workouts that combine some cardio with strength. I've subscribed to both. Les Mills is also offering some free at home workouts for covid-19 gym closings. You might like the bodypump for strength training.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    As long as you're doing some kind of resistance work where you can get close to failure and your diet is good, you shouldn't lose your gains. Strength will suffer without the weights you're used to lifting, but that'll be back quick
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Train starting now.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Anything is better than nothing.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Start with as little volume as you need to get gains with weights when your back in the gym: what mike Israetel calls "minimum effective volume" and then keep adding from there. I'm planning on doing something similar to a starting strength with some added bodybuilding moves and Olympic lifts, starting at a much lower weight than I was at before leaving the gym, using linear progression to add a few lbs to the bar every week... Keep doing bodyweight stuff and keep your diet in check while outside the gym tho!!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,550 Member
    I've been searching YouTube for good workouts. Sydney Cummings and Yvette Bachman have great workouts that combine some cardio with strength. I've subscribed to both. Les Mills is also offering some free at home workouts for covid-19 gym closings. You might like the bodypump for strength training.

I'm not familiar with Yvette Bachman (just copied her name to go check her out) but Sydney Cummings is definitely good, I do struggle as my weights aren't heavy enough even holding two per hand. I've been getting decent dumbbell workouts with HASFit, they have cardio as well. Unfortunately it took forever to go up in dumbbells in the gym with arms and now these stupid lighter weights are feeling heavier! Athlean-X has some good workouts too. I know there's Les Mills free workouts on the website plus my gym, 24 Hour Fitness, is streaming classes for free as well on YouTube.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited April 2020
    Per your profile you are in TX. Gyms have been closed there for a month (my son worked at one and lost his job). Reality is you haven't lost "quite of bit of muscle" in a month (even though you may feel like it).

Do body weight exercises get some weight to move even things like sandbags, tires to drag, etc. Google DIY gym equipment, lots of good ideas out there.

Also if you have any mobility issues this is a great time to concentrate on them so you can move better when things are back to normal.

Best of luck.