C25k Group starting March 2020

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    showjumper wrote: »
    @briscogun when is W5D3??

Did it yesterday! Can’t believe I actually got through it! I started and mentally gave myself permission to stop if I needed to but just kept pushing and did all 20 minutes straight through! I got new headphones so I could listen to music which made a HUGE difference.

Bad thing is I hurt my back later in the day so not sure if it’s going to sideline me or not. I have until Monday to heal up so keeping my fingers crossed...
  • briscogun
    So finished W6D2 this morning. Looks like the next run is going to be a real *kitten*!

Getting close to finishing though. It's getting real!
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    @briscogun how does it feel to be done intervals!!! Great job on getting this far!!!
  • briscogun
    @showjumper there are still intervals, there are just fewer of them and they are much longer! :wink:

W6D2 was 2 10-minute intervals, but today (W6D3) was one 22 minute run, no intervals. I'm honestly shocked I got through it I thought I'd die at some point when I started but I actually got through it with only moderate difficulty. My calves were REALLY tight/sore though...

I'll tell you though the program does really work. Well, so far it has anyway... :wink:
  • briscogun
    So W7D1 is in the books.

I had a bit of trouble at the 23:30 mark. My stomach was feeling a bit... unsettled. So I stopped running for about 30 seconds to make sure I wasn't about to re-visit my breakfast. Started back up again and ran for another 1:30 so got the 25 minutes in just had to take a tiny break for a stomach check.

Looks lie W7D2 is the same as yesterday so looking forward to plowing through in one run tomorrow.
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    I’m working on this program again. Trying to increase speed. But my runs have been few and far between. Last run was Sunday, 4/5. Completed W7D2. But it was on the treadmill. And I’m not at all fast. 4.8mph, all 25 minutes. The shorter intervals I was getting up over 6mph. I’m gonna try to get the next run in over the next couple of days. Glad I found this post.
  • CILLAJ8
    Completed W7D3 today. A little faster than the previous workout. Felt great! One more week to go and then I think I’ll try the bridge to 10k. Has anyone done that yet?
  • SuzieQ136
    SuzieQ136 Posts: 38 Member
    I’m just learning about the C25K program and can’t wait to get started! It’s encouraging to read through the posts from others. Here I go...
  • briscogun
    CILLAJ8 wrote: »
    Completed W7D3 today. A little faster than the previous workout. Felt great! One more week to go and then I think I’ll try the bridge to 10k. Has anyone done that yet?

Nice @sberken136 !

I finished W7D3 yesterday, successfully I might add! But the first two workouts this week (W7D1 and W7D2) I had to stop at one point or another, so even though yesterday went well I think I'm going to repeat the whole week until I can do it successfully. It's not like I'm under any time crunch to get the program finished, right?
  • CILLAJ8
    edited April 2020
    @briscogun: Great job! Never hurts to repeat weeks. We’ve all done it. Today I completed W8D1 but I took it easy at a 4.8mph the whole 28 minutes. Felt good. I didn’t want to push myself harder than they because I’m hiking tomorrow. Between 5 and 6 miles.

• SuzieQ136
    I did as I said and started the C25K today. I have to be honest, day 1 was much harder than I thought it would be. I’ve been walking a couple miles a day pretty consistently for several months and I thought I’d breeze through the first week of this. Not so!!! Does anyone else do more than 3 days a week? Or should I just walk on the off days?
    Thanks and keep up the inspiring work everyone!

Sue
  • briscogun
    I only do 3 days a week. Absolutely take rest days between runs. As the runs get progressively longer you will need it. I do Mon, Weds, and Fri.
  • briscogun
    Nice work @CILLAJ8 !

I thought about trying to do W8D1 slowly but I think I’ll just enjoy W7 a second time... 😉
  • briscogun
    So got through W7D2 successfully yesterday (that's 2 in a row at the 25 minute mark) so if I can get through one more I'll officially graduate myself to W8. Those 25 minute runs are a killer though, not going to lie. It's mind over matter. The spirit is willing but the body is being dragged along begrudgingly!

I did take some advice I saw somewhere and switched from music to podcasts. That seems to help a bit because you lose track of time when it's just talking versus trying to count about how many songs you should be able to get through in 25 minutes.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    @briscogun great job on progressing!

@suzieq136 its always tough to start but if you go with the program and stick to 3 days a week with breaks it makes it so much more enjoyable and wards off injury and set backs...

@cillaj8 woo hoo!!!!

We finally have decent weather here so I have moved outside...... first run last week was dreadful and todays wasn't much better. So here is to Thursday being a charm! I will start from the beginning....... :neutral: and see how it goes... its a tough pill to swollow when I was doing so well on the treadmill.
  • briscogun
    @showjumper thank you!

I always have a hard time going from treadmill to outdoors. All the variables of running outside seem to make it harder for me (wind, uneven terrain, uphill, downhill, traffic, etc.). I'm sticking to my treadmill for a while until I complete this thing! Plus, weather still isn't great here so not excited about running when it's in the 30's and 40's, cold, cloudy, and breezy...
  • SuzieQ136
    @briscogun and @showjumper Thanks for the encouragement! I completed W1D2 yesterday. It wasn’t as tough as the first day.

Anyone have recommendations on running shoes? I’m using my cross trainers now but really want to get a good pair of runners. Problem is the shoe/dept stores are all on lockdown here in MN. I’m reluctant to order them online but if I known of a brand that’s true to size I’d be willing to give it a try.

Keep up the good work everyone! Just think how good it’s going to feel to say “I didn’t fall victim to the Quarantine 15”. I’ll be coming out healthier and stronger!

Blessings to all!
    Sue
  • CILLAJ8
    @SuzieQ136 awesome job completing W1D2! I’m glad it was easier for you than day 1.
    As far as sneakers go, I don’t have advice right now. But when everything opens back up I’d recommend going to a running store and getting properly fitted.

• briscogun
    @SuzieQ136 great job! Just take it one day, one run at a time. It’s more mental than physical I swear. There are some days it seems easy and other days it feels impossible but just keep going...

As far as shoes it’s really best if you can get fitted. I did that and turned out I had a pronation or something so I got shoes for that and it was AMAZING! Best thing I ever did. Just try to plow through until you can get in. Maybe call or email some in your area and see if they have a plan for helping customers in the shut down?

I managed to finish W7D3 this morning. Barely got those runs done so not sure about adding on another 3 minutes (sounds like hell) but we’ll see! I can always do W7 over for a while! I’m in no rush...
  • SuzieQ136
    Completed W1D3 today! It’s gotten a little easier each day. I’m a bit nervous about W2 but I’m just gonna try to enjoy a day off tomorrow and not overthink it.

The weather has been beautiful the past few days so that’s helped lift my mood as well!

How’s everyone doing?