Podcasts for walking

Today I took my first steps toward changing my body and went for a walk. I put my headphones on, queued up the latest Wait Wait, and took to the streets. It was a solid 50 minutes of walking, which is a feat for me and I expect my outer thighs to give me a fair amount of grief tomorrow. However, I'm not going to give up. I'm going to keep walking, everyday.
I'm looking for suggestions for interesting Podcasts to listen to while I'm on the move. Being able to go out by myself and just listen is going to make this exercise thing a treat I look forward to rather than a chore I have to talk myself into. So, what do you like to listen to? I have pretty eclectic taste and am willing to try most anything, but I'm looking for shows that are in the hour long range.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Yay!!

Well, there's "The WALKING podcast" by Jon Mooallem. They're long-form and usually around 45-50 min. Personally, I like to try keeping up with his cadence/footfalls.

There's a bunch of threads already on this which a LOT of great suggestions. For example: Interesting podcasts and playlists while jogging 🏃‍♀️

Happy walking!
  • _melysalopez_
    _melysalopez_ Posts: 7 Member
    1)The ultimate health podcast
    2)Armchair expert

Both on Spotify
  • pfprimo
    pfprimo Posts: 91 Member
    edited April 2020
    There's so many to choose from to cater to every interest, so why not just cycle through some of them and see what piques your interest. I sometimes see a title for a podcast that I think will be right up my alley, only to find out that the host or hosts spend most of the time shooting the breeze. I like iHeartRadio, personally, and been listening to "Something You Should Know." "WTF with Marc Maron is another fav... And because I'm currently enrolled in a Psychology program, I've been listening to "Mental Illness Happy Hour" and "Psych Central"- you don't have to be interested in Psychology to get alot out of this, I'm surprised how much I've learned about my own personal behavior and why other people behave the way they do, particularly if you have friends or family members who may have some form of disorder. Happy listening...
    Paul
  • SteelyGams
    SteelyGams Posts: 14 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Yay!!

Well, there's "The WALKING podcast" by Jon Mooallem. They're long-form and usually around 45-50 min. Personally, I like to try keeping up with his cadence/footfalls.

There's a bunch of threads already on this which a LOT of great suggestions. For example: Interesting podcasts and playlists while jogging 🏃‍♀️

Happy walking!

Excellent! Thanks for the recommendation and the forum link. I had done a search, but didn't get where I wanted to go.

I'll try "The Walking" one tomorrow!
  • SteelyGams
    pfprimo wrote: »
    There's so many to choose from to cater to every interest, so why not just cycle through some of them and see what piques your interest. I sometimes see a title for a podcast that I think will be right up my alley, only to find out that the host or hosts spend most of the time shooting the breeze. I like iHeartRadio, personally, and been listening to "Something You Should Know." "WTF with Marc Maron is another fav... And because I'm currently enrolled in a Psychology program, I've been listening to "Mental Illness Happy Hour" and "Psych Central"- you don't have to be interested in Psychology to get alot out of this, I'm surprised how much I've learned about my own personal behavior and why other people behave the way they do, particularly if you have friends or family members who may have some form of disorder. Happy listening...
    Paul

My problem is there are TOO many to choose from. I can't handle the overchoice! I'll put your recs on my try list.
  • radi0rah33m
    radi0rah33m Posts: 5 Member
    Tony Robins perhaps... he has some interesting podcasts
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Lol, I'm a Fantasy Football junkie, so I listen to the "Fantasy Footballers" on Soundcloud. All their shows are an hour long and they are funny too. I laugh outloud to some people's discontent as I stroll along past them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SteelyGams
    I can't believe I didn't know Brene Brown started a podcast. Listened to her first episode this morning and it couldn't have been more on topic.

https://brenebrown.com/podcast/brene-on-ffts/

She dives into *kitten* first times, and...Hello! It's the first time my BMI has put me into the "obese" category, and I've been forced to take a hard look at my habits. I've been in a tailspin since I saw that calculator result, and scrambling to figure out how to address the problem:

What's the best weight loss per week goal?
    What's the best exercise to do?
    Should I really have this beer or is it going to derail me and I'll just quit?
    On and on and on with the doubts, anxiety and unrealistic expectations.

This episode really helped me chill out this morning. It's my first time, I don't know what I'm doing, it sucks and I'm going to screw up. BUT I'm going to grow, learn and get better. She made me laugh, tear up and allow myself a little grace. Highly recommended.

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    In a potentially unrelated question: may I ask why you chose the profile name "steelygams" my dear @SteelyGams?

BMI calculations are different for muscular people so that could be why your number is "so high" 🤷🏿‍♀️

Regardless, the exciting part is that everything is modifiable with our bodies given our interest, desire and actions. Glad you went on your walk and found the perfect podcast for your day!
  • SteelyGams
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    In a potentially unrelated question: may I ask why you chose the profile name "steelygams" my dear @SteelyGams?

LOL. I happened to be listening to Steely Dan's "Aja" album when I signed up, and it was a play on words for legs of steel because I've always wanted beefy, strong thighs.

Thanks for the support!
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Don't forget audiobooks!
  • SteelyGams
    Don't forget audiobooks!

I'd never come home!
  • fashunmo
    fashunmo Posts: 1 Member
    Depending on your listening preferences... I'm a big fan of Girls Gotta Eat, LadyGang, 10% Happier, ModernLove, and my VERY favorite HeavyWeight. It's become so routine I throw those on when I walk and I feel like I'm with friends. :) I have a few educational ones I really enjoy too - get fit and smart all at once!

I also love AUDIOBOOKS and highly recommend it if you need motivation to go out for walks. I made it a habit to only listen if I was moving or engaging in an activity where I am standing. :) It was a good motivator, especially when I was REALLY into the book.
  • bdelaney33
    bdelaney33 Posts: 150 Member
    SteelyGams wrote: »
    Today I took my first steps toward changing my body and went for a walk. I put my headphones on, queued up the latest Wait Wait, and took to the streets. It was a solid 50 minutes of walking, which is a feat for me and I expect my outer thighs to give me a fair amount of grief tomorrow. However, I'm not going to give up. I'm going to keep walking, everyday.
    I'm looking for suggestions for interesting Podcasts to listen to while I'm on the move. Being able to go out by myself and just listen is going to make this exercise thing a treat I look forward to rather than a chore I have to talk myself into. So, what do you like to listen to? I have pretty eclectic taste and am willing to try most anything, but I'm looking for shows that are in the hour long range.

My favorite is called "How I built this" (with Guy Raz); talks to entrepreneurs on how they built their companies. Perfect length for a decent walk!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Do you like true crime? There are so many great true crime podcasts right now. Some of my favorite recent listens (off the top of my head) are "The Clearing," "Dr Death," "Dirty John," "The Man in the Window," "To Live and Die in LA," "Down the Hill," and "In the Dark." There are dozens more, I usually spend 6-10 hours a week running and listening to podcasts, so I'm always looking for new stuff.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    I like Running Commentary - two comedians going for a run and a chat. Also The Jules and Sarah podcast- hilarious nonsense chatter.
    Or there are Serial, Real Crime Profile, S-Town for crime stories.
    I love a podcast for walking and running, keeps me motivated.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    I love Armchair Expert and American Glutton but I've got a list of at least a dozen that I listen to pretty regularly! Once you get hooked on one, it'll often lead you to another.
  • jaxnjosh
    jaxnjosh Posts: 50 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, I'm a Fantasy Football junkie, so I listen to the "Fantasy Footballers" on Soundcloud. All their shows are an hour long and they are funny too. I laugh outloud to some people's discontent as I stroll along past them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Hey Ninerbuff, If you like FF, listen to "The Truth Serum Podcast", Those guys are my friends and they do a great job ranking positions, sleeper picks, start em, sit em etc. and they are hysterical too.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    If you’re into true crime then True Crime Obsessed and Crime Junkie.

Short stories: Levar Burton Reads

Reply All. Described as a podcast about the internet.

Love Stories. Different stories about all kinds of romantic relationships. Much more interesting than it sounds.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    No clue what you’re into but I like:
    Front Burner (Canadian News), The Daily (US News), The Secret Life of Canada, Someone Knows Something, Uncover, 1619, Missing & Murdered, Newcomers, Forked Up, Lore, The Liturgist, You Must Remember This.

Lol, apparently I listen to a lot of CBC podcasts ❤️🇨🇦