I heard that eating clean makes you feel better...

When is that supposed to take effect? Has anyone tried it? Did you feel better and if so, when?

I basically feel like garbage all the time. I've only been eating clean for a week and I know that it's probably too soon to see any results... I just want to know where the light at the end of my tunnel is.

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Have a look into low fodmap foods if you feel something in your food is causing you to feel ill

Ideally you would have a chat with your doctor and a registered dietitian about your concerns, usually they would ask you to do a food diary of what you ate and how it made you feel so they could help you pinpoint which particular foods are causing the problem
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    When is that supposed to take effect? Has anyone tried it? Did you feel better and if so, when?

I basically feel like garbage all the time. I've only been eating clean for a week and I know that it's probably too soon to see any results... I just want to know where the light at the end of my tunnel is.

Maybe you’ve cut your calories too low and too drastically? For example if some one used to eat 3000 calories a day and then cut them down to 1400 all of a sudden that’s going to be a shock to the body. What’s your deficit like and how much have you got to lose?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Ditto what others are saying... It can be worth cutting out foods that are common allergies/intolerances if you are not feeling well. For a lot of people, eating "clean" likely does this, though everyone's definition varies. You can reintroduce them and see which don't effect you and which, if any, are a problem.

I was following a diet years ago to check if some of my health issues were a glycemic thing (based on a random book)(worth noting that eating did immediately trigger some of them)... It was a useful test.. Turned out I had no issue eating alls-the-sugar... But wheat definitely was a problem... (a little pasta tempered with other stuff to lower the glycemic index in agreement with that diet=sick, disobeying diet and eating creme brulee in bulk =perfectly fine). Other symptoms I hadn't even associated with those I was trying to fix were also resolved.
  • ritzvin
    (summary: meh on the "clean eating" other than deciphering and avoiding something specific that's an issue. I avoid wheat in more than small non-frequent quantities-bc it does cause issues for me, but nothing else - including lots of processed/packaged food, sugar, splenda, dairy,...)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Almost all of my initial efforts to lose weight have had a honeymoon phase where I felt better than I did before. I have no idea what part of that is physical (if any) and what is just in my head. I have often heard people say that eating this way and that way made them feel better but since they never stick to it that phase seems to normally run back into reality.

Some people will have a medical reaction to certain foods. I am not sure how often one of them gets lucky with a random food trial like eating clean but it might happen occasionally.

• ritzvin
    lgfrie wrote: »
    ... who does an hour a day of moderate cardio. Now that, I would call truly life transformative. I'm like a completely different person, mood and energy-level wise, when I get my hour of cardio every day, versus before I started dieting, when I got no exercise at all.

So much this! (excepting food allergies), Whether I've gotten decent exercise in plays a much, much, much larger role in how I'm feeling than what I've eaten... And fitting that in around a work schedule and other responsibilities can often be much easier with a diet having a larger amount of processed foods. (I've had more than my share of Clif/protein bar + yogurt/peanut butter single dinners in my car rushing from work to a group run/ride, and feel so much better for having that activity).