How often should you weight your self?

It seems like my weight sometimes can vary a couple pounds if Weigh myself every day

Replies

• Jonjon60
    Jonjon60 Posts: 17 Member
    Yes I think so also, maybe sometimes its just the way your clothes fit that tells you...
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    I weigh myself the same time everyday. I also use a weight app (happy scale) to show my weight loss trend. This REALLY helps me to maintain a growth mindset regarding weight loss. Weight loss is truly not linear and has multiple variables that can cause weight loss to fluctuate. I found it keeps me accountable and I am able to respond fairly quickly if I gain weight. I also try to cross reference with my diet to determine what works best for me. I don't feel right if I don't weight myself!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I shoot for once a day in the morning after toilet in my underwear. Yes, it jumps around in the 1-2lbs range.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I weigh myself daily. I usually bounce around the same 5-7 pound range depending on circumstances. I use a weight trending app to filter out the "noise" and let me know if there is something I need to address.
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    I usually weigh myself every other day. First thing in the morning after going to the bathroom w/o clothes. I always record my Sunday weight.
    My weight fluctuates based on how intense my workout was the evening prior and even what foods I have eaten. Usually varies by 1-1.2 lbs
  • BAC716
    BAC716 Posts: 20 Member
    If you're looking to see trends and how your body's reacting to your eating and activity levels then I would weigh in every morning after going to the bathroom naked or with the same minimal underwear, etc. on.

I do this myself with a specific goal or with clients looking to lose or gain weight. We calculate the weekly averages instead of comparing anything day to day. There's too many fluctuations one day to the next to make a once a week weigh in very clear of what's going on (especially women).

Obviously, you don't need to weigh in, can weigh in at different frequencies or just use different metrics like measurements, pics, clothes fit, etc. if more loosely tracking progress or if someone gets very mentally fatigued with the scale. However, a consistent daily weigh in will paint a much clearer picture of things!

I tell clients, the day to day weights are just data. Don't put too much emphasis good or bad on them. We focus on the weekly averages to make adjustments, not any given day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    When I was losing weight I really had to weigh daily. In the beginning I was trying to establish calorie goals and the measurements that mattered were my weight and my calories. When you have a lot of weight to lose, your daily weigh-ins are going to fluctuate by a lot more than one or two pounds,(mine could be up to six pounds daily) you are carrying a lot of water. So even though it bounced around quite a bit when I had a lot of extra weight to lose I had to bite the bullet and put on my big girl pants and step on that scale. It didn't bite.

Once I figured out my ACTUAL calorie needs (not the ones I got online) then I cut back my daily weigh-ins to once a week.

Then I broke my scale accidentally. :lol:

So the next 30 pounds I lost I did it entirely on calories. Pretty easy, BUT I had established my needs already.

So, I guess I did both.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited April 2020
    I have always weighed myself daily during wt loss b4 and maintenance now but I'm not bothered by the daily variations. Been doing this for over 5 yrs now

It's only the trend that matters. Use Libra or a similar wt trend app (even Excel will do it) that computes the moving average. Set it for 7 days and, if that still bothers you, set the ave for 14 or 30 days to see even less variation.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I do it every day because I know I vary around my average weight. I just watch for new lows and new highs. I've done it since I started logging 7 years ago.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Maybe what we need is a scale that doesn't give a daily number, but instead gives friendly advice based on 1-2 week trends.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Everyday! I use a weight app (Happy Scale), which allows me to see my weight loss trend.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Jonjon60 wrote: »
    It seems like my weight sometimes can vary a couple pounds if Weigh myself every day

There is no frequency of weighing that does away with the variability. If you weigh yourself once a week/month/year you will still have some heavy weigh-ins and some light weigh-ins, you'll just have less data to work with in spotting trends.

I think it's smartest to be consistent (meaning weigh yourself on the same scale, at the same time of day, wearing the same amount of clothes, etc.) and weigh yourself as frequently as you can mentally handle (no more than once a day) while looking for longer term trends. If the daily fluctuations drive you nuts then go to weekly or whatever you can live with.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    While I generally focus on long-term trends, I have found daily weighing useful in learning what sorts of things cause those spikes in variability. For instance, a day of high sodium intake seems to have a greater effect on me than might be the case for others. This is useful both in that I know exactly what to expect, as well as realize that there are possible health implications for me in regards to sodium.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Long term results need to watch trends not a daily number. Weigh once a week, then compare end of month to see what the trend is doing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Depends on the person. If you have an understanding that weight loss isn't linear and it doesn't affect you emotionally, then you likely can weigh everyday. If you're not good at handling it, then probably not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • I weigh daily and write it on a calendar on the back of the bathroom door. It helps me sees patterns, like my weight is up because I haven't had a bowl movement in two or three days. That means that I need to eat more fiber. Also, wearing those stretchy leg hose has helped me to stop retaining water and my weight has stayed more consistent. I am 78 and retains salt. Sunday is always my lowest weight of the week.
  • erinpatsy
    erinpatsy Posts: 25 Member
    I weigh myself once weekly but I have scale anxiety. When I first started, I did it daily; I know fluctuations are normal but I found myself scrutinizing and obsessing over every ounce. Once I transitioned to weekly, the fluctuations weren’t noticeable and my daily mood wasn’t hindered by it. The weight loss trend was still evident and my anxiety lessened. Different strokes for different folks.