Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Covid19 and Cashiers

Replies

• TarynF226
    TarynF226 Posts: 62 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    My local Kroger installed plastic shields at the checkout lines. Most of the employees are wearing masks now.
    They already had spacing markers at the checkout lines for a couple weeks, but now they've also designated the aisles as one-way wherever possible.

my local Krogers did as well, but they were all installed backwards :eyeroll So the shield is in front of the belt but when I customer comes up to the card reader, they are still eye-to-eye with the cashier and close enough to cough on them, etc. And its obvious they are backwards because the little cutout that is supposed to give the customer access to the card reader is on the opposite side of the cashier.......

The grocery stores here have those shields too. The convenience store I work at has one too -- it's literally hanging from the ceiling by lengths of chain. Its also too short to cover some of the till area. Aside from that I still get the really stupid people that lean around it because they think I can't hear them through it. We've got tape on the floor too and I still get the occasional guys that argue that one particular strip isn't at six feet away it's more like seven and a half so they don't have to stand behind it they can stand in front *shakes head*
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Our cashiers, in Italy, have masks and gloves. Stay safe hon!

Some of ours now have protective shields separating them from the customers.

8jt644shvwyu.jpg
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    TarynF226 wrote: »
    So disinfection is a great idea, but it's a pity that not all people practice it.
    Eh well we do what we can as citizens and go from there. My store finally got a bigger plexiglass guard a couple weeks back which is nice for my piece of mind if still not terribly effective given the very infectious nature of this virus. I still regularly spray down counters and doors handles and /everything/ with bleach water (that I make any day I come in because everyone else would rather the nameless disinfectant from head office -- literally it's a bottle of neon yellow concentrate in a water bottle to be diluted at specific amounts but no label) or the random disinfectant that come from head office. We've got those blue and white surgical masks from head office too.

It's a lot of stress all around but I'm slowly getting more used to it I guess. It makes me think a lot because a lot of the stress is I don't want to be a carrier and spread it to family but also a lot is also I don't want anyone getting sick coming to the store I work at.

It's worth thinking on that if I only worried over myself getting sick I'd have to do a lot less cleaning and be a lot less careful at work than I do now. If I wanted to be less stressed all I'd have to do is not care if the customers got sick and that's a pretty horrible outlook but it crosses my mind any time I get a particularly stupid customer at the till. Like I'm doing my best and they don't give a *kitten*. It just makes it hard to care when I'm trying and then I see people who can't even be bothered to stand back from other people.

I told a lady today just to note for next time I need you standing back at the floor marker when someone is at the till and she just scoffed and waved her hand. I told her don't wave at me the markers are there for a reason and she just didn't reply. Paid for her snacks and left.
    The guy in front of her didn't ask her to back up and obviously she didnt care so why should I?

I have been in the position of the guy in front of the crowding customer and I would be hesitant to say something to the crowder because you never know how this particular crowder will react. Will they push their face toward mine and start screaming, spewing droplets? Will they spit on me for being a "snowflake lib"? Will they take a swing? Will they pull a weapon?

I don't blame you for being stressed out and not wanting to have to engage with the many folks you are forced to deal with all day who don't follow the rules. I find being in a grocery store very stressful. I've pared it down to once every three weeks, and I've found Sunday mornings about a half hour after the seniors-only period to be a fairly non-busy time. When they lift restrictions in my state, I may see if I can stretch out the time between shopping trips to four weeks. If there are other people like me, at least the volume of customers you face will go down, but of course the percentage of them that are scofflaws will go up.

Such a pleasant post
  • TarynF226
    I have been in the position of the guy in front of the crowding customer and I would be hesitant to say something to the crowder because you never know how this particular crowder will react.

I guess I should consider this too. I leave a lot of space in front of me in line and have been guilty of just shuffling forward a bit to get away from the person behind me rather than having to talk to them. Despite being a friendly verbose cashier at work in daily life I'm not much of a people person so I hate having to speak up to those I don't know.

Most reactions here, southern Ontario, have been polite when asked to stand back at markers or wait outside because I have too many people in store atm. There have been a few truly pissy people but most of the vitriol is directed at store policy or general politics rather than at me directly.

I have had customers get angry at each other for people skipping the line to get in the store. I work at a conveinience store and there's only ever one person on staff at a time. So we can ask people to wait when they open the door if people are already in but we cant really see who's next in line outside. One time a guy cut in and had another call him an *kitten* then that guy proceded to yell at the first guy and so on. Things like that happen on occasion but so far people haven't been really pissed directly at me for enforcing the customer limit and distancing.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    TarynF226 wrote: »
    So disinfection is a great idea, but it's a pity that not all people practice it.
    Eh well we do what we can as citizens and go from there. My store finally got a bigger plexiglass guard a couple weeks back which is nice for my piece of mind if still not terribly effective given the very infectious nature of this virus. I still regularly spray down counters and doors handles and /everything/ with bleach water (that I make any day I come in because everyone else would rather the nameless disinfectant from head office -- literally it's a bottle of neon yellow concentrate in a water bottle to be diluted at specific amounts but no label) or the random disinfectant that come from head office. We've got those blue and white surgical masks from head office too.

It's a lot of stress all around but I'm slowly getting more used to it I guess. It makes me think a lot because a lot of the stress is I don't want to be a carrier and spread it to family but also a lot is also I don't want anyone getting sick coming to the store I work at.

It's worth thinking on that if I only worried over myself getting sick I'd have to do a lot less cleaning and be a lot less careful at work than I do now. If I wanted to be less stressed all I'd have to do is not care if the customers got sick and that's a pretty horrible outlook but it crosses my mind any time I get a particularly stupid customer at the till. Like I'm doing my best and they don't give a *kitten*. It just makes it hard to care when I'm trying and then I see people who can't even be bothered to stand back from other people.

I told a lady today just to note for next time I need you standing back at the floor marker when someone is at the till and she just scoffed and waved her hand. I told her don't wave at me the markers are there for a reason and she just didn't reply. Paid for her snacks and left.
    The guy in front of her didn't ask her to back up and obviously she didnt care so why should I?

I have been in the position of the guy in front of the crowding customer and I would be hesitant to say something to the crowder because you never know how this particular crowder will react. Will they push their face toward mine and start screaming, spewing droplets? Will they spit on me for being a "snowflake lib"? Will they take a swing? Will they pull a weapon?

I don't blame you for being stressed out and not wanting to have to engage with the many folks you are forced to deal with all day who don't follow the rules. I find being in a grocery store very stressful. I've pared it down to once every three weeks, and I've found Sunday mornings about a half hour after the seniors-only period to be a fairly non-busy time. When they lift restrictions in my state, I may see if I can stretch out the time between shopping trips to four weeks. If there are other people like me, at least the volume of customers you face will go down, but of course the percentage of them that are scofflaws will go up.

Such a pleasant post

About an hour down the road from me, a store security guard was shot - dead, murdered - by two men after he told someone they knew that she had to wear a mask in the store. That's quite an unpleasant story, but I don't see why someone shouldn't admit they're concerned about something like that being possible, when it has actually happened.

Totally agree!
  • TarynF226
    Same Crowder lady came in earlier this morning. Stood around 4.5 feet back instead of 3. 🤔should I just consider this improvement and not push it? To be fair that first marker is probably closer to 7 feet back than 6 - thats the one the guys always comment/argue on.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Whenever I see pictures like that, of people congregating in great numbers, my thoughts go to 'wonder how many will come to regret that in about 2 weeks? and how many new positives/deaths will emerge again?' :(

Our state of Vermont, is small and rural, 2 reasons I think we don't have the spread that many do. And I'd sure love to see it stay that way.