Intermittent fasting

Anyone doing intermittent fasting?

Replies

• LisaCantrell50
    LisaCantrell50 Posts: 10 Member
    I was doing the 16:8 and was loosing well. I fell off the wagon though because although I dont eat before 10am anyway I do have my morning coffee. So doing it properly, without any cals for the full 16 hours was tough! I would love to get back into it but I need to find the discipline. It was also difficult to time dinner with my family as they would want to eat after I was already supposed to have stopped eating. I am a teacher so my meal times arent as easy to adjust as some other professions, So if I didnt start eating at 10 the next time I could would be after 12 which is just too long for me. BUT when I could do it I definitely saw a change!! Its not just because you are in a deficient as some people will tell you it has an impact retaining muscle mass too. Read up about it and give it a try thats the only way you can decide for yourself. I also had an app on my phone which would monitor fasting and feeding hours and would give you a cool bit of info when you body entered each different stage.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I was doing the 16:8 and was loosing well. I fell off the wagon though because although I dont eat before 10am anyway I do have my morning coffee. So doing it properly, without any cals for the full 16 hours was tough! I would love to get back into it but I need to find the discipline. It was also difficult to time dinner with my family as they would want to eat after I was already supposed to have stopped eating. I am a teacher so my meal times arent as easy to adjust as some other professions, So if I didnt start eating at 10 the next time I could would be after 12 which is just too long for me. BUT when I could do it I definitely saw a change!! Its not just because you are in a deficient as some people will tell you it has an impact retaining muscle mass too. Read up about it and give it a try thats the only way you can decide for yourself. I also had an app on my phone which would monitor fasting and feeding hours and would give you a cool bit of info when you body entered each different stage.

Whatever side benefit you think you are getting from it, it is not worth doing if you can't easily do it. The fact that you are struggling with discipline and trying to make it work with a profession that makes it harder seems to suggest that you need a different strategy.

I have lost weight with many strategies. When you are as heavy as I was it is not actually hard to lose some amount of weight. I never lost all the weight I needed to lose because I assumed the scale going down was all I needed to know. It was not. Once I made my priority a sustainable process then I was able to lose almost all the weight I needed to lose.

• Sableprncs
    Sableprncs Posts: 15 Member
    amynen1 wrote: »

Yes and it has not been going well. I started with the "start hard finish easy" method and barely made it through the week. Now I'm doing a consistent 14/10. Which is pretty easy.

But I hate doing more than that because the hunger pangs get really bad where I actually start to feel nauseous. I admit I really dont know what I'm doing. I'm using an intermittent fasting app to keep track 🤷‍♀️
  • NovusDies
    edited March 2020
    Sableprncs wrote: »

Yes and it has not been going well. I started with the "start hard finish easy" method and barely made it through the week. Now I'm doing a consistent 14/10. Which is pretty easy.

But I hate doing more than that because the hunger pangs get really bad where I actually start to feel nauseous. I admit I really dont know what I'm doing. I'm using an intermittent fasting app to keep track 🤷‍♀️

@Sableprncs

I used the start easy and make small changes over time method.

I am not liking that you are nauseous. Are you eating enough total calories?
  • Sableprncs
    NovusDies wrote: »

@Sableprncs

Sometimes, but I mostly only eat once a day (late lunch usually around 130 or 2pm) because of my weird schedule. That one meal is usually big though, big enough so I wont need to eat dinner. I still feel full. My fasting window is over by 730 and I'm heading to bed around 830-9
  • mary_lou_rios
    mary_lou_rios Posts: 45 Member
    I plan to to this next week. Fasting from 7a- 7p 500-600 next day then 11a-7p the next day followed by 500-600 and resume normal 1200 day
  • NovusDies

@Sableprncs

Sometimes, but I mostly only eat once a day (late lunch usually around 130 or 2pm) because of my weird schedule. That one meal is usually big though, big enough so I wont need to eat dinner. I still feel full. My fasting window is over by 730 and I'm heading to bed around 830-9

After you eat lunch you are not eating anything else? That would suggest you are going 22ish hours between eating. Are you exercising or moving around a lot at home or work? Are you also trying to do a low carb plan? Do you remember to hydrate occasionally even when you are not eating?

• Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    Yes, and I love it.
  • Sableprncs

@Sableprncs

After you eat lunch you are not eating anything else? That would suggest you are going 22ish hours between eating. Are you exercising or moving around a lot at home or work? Are you also trying to do a low carb plan? Do you remember to hydrate occasionally even when you are not eating?

As long as I eat lunch I can skip dinner but when I wake up I'm so hungry ill eat almost anything. I drink water but I know I'm not drinking enough. I gave up sweet drinks for lent so water is pretty much it.

I try to do low carb as much as possible and no I'm not very active at all. I've been trying to focus on weight loss without working out too much.
  • Ealaniz211
    Ealaniz211 Posts: 4 Member

Hello! I started last Tuesday, March 16, 2020 and I have lost 4 lbs!! I am doing the 16:8 combining it with Herbalife, I know many people don’t like it but for me it works. I am excited! I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel even when I still have about 20 lbs more to go.

• BecMarty14
    BecMarty14 Posts: 351 Member
    I started slow with a few days of 16:8. Friday I started OMAD one meal a day. Experimented with a eating window from five to seven Friday-Saturday. Today I shifted the eating window to 12-4 pm so I can still have coffee with creamer and not be wired all night!
    I break the fast with a good bunch of veggies followed by protein and a little fat and then whole fruit. I have found these foods almost too filling for a two hour window, so I increased it to 4. The foods I eat are very satisfying!
    I like the feeling so far. I am open to tweaking it to be sustainable.
    The calories deficit comes from not being physically able to ingest too many calories in the window. I'm not even very hungry between; I've got energy stores for a loooong time :)
  • breanacasey2017
    breanacasey2017 Posts: 24 Member
    I'm doing the 20/4 eating window. I'm not new to fasting but i would like to be more strict with it. My eating window is from 10am-2pm, because that's what work best for my schedule. I work evenings (2-10pm). I used to try to fit 3-4 meals into the window but its easier to have two large meals. My first meal is almost always oat meal w/ some scrambled eggs and the 2nd meal is something like a taco bowl or rice,veggies and fish. I no longer eat meat except for seafood (been a little over a month)
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited April 2020
    I wouldn't be inclined to use a more extreme eating window if it was that hard for me. The only reason I intermittent fast is because during my days of trying other weight loss plans the 3-5 small meals tended to make me overeat, contrary to the advice I had been hearing. Later in college I had a schedule that made it so I basically had no time to eat until 6pm. On the days I ate breakfast, I noticed I was super hungry by noon. On the days I didn't eat breakfast, I could easily make it to 6pm and not binge at dinner. Later I learned this eating pattern was called IF and many people used it to limit intake. Even when I'm not trying to lose weight, it's how I prefer to eat. I've been doing it for about 4 years now but I don't pay attention to the details. I try for 16:8 to 20:4 and 1-2 meals. I lost 90lbs using IF and it's helped me maintain half of that weight loss (sigh) for 2 years. It also just helps me feel satisfied. A big trigger of my overeating is not feeling full enough, so being able to eat a larger meal or meals in the evening without exceeding my calorie goals is super helpful.
  • _bless
    _bless Posts: 1 Member
    I want to start intermittent fasting and I have tried it before. If anyone wants to join me so we can support each other, reach out and I can add you as a friend!
  • 003julie
    003julie Posts: 11 Member
    My experience is that i gave up sugar for 3 months but after the first month i stopped losing weight so i tried Intermittant fasting 16:8 and started losing again but what i find works best is 18:6 with eating window from 12pm-6pm. (No sugar obv or it doesnt work).
  • ains0phaur
    ains0phaur Posts: 1 Member
    I did a 3 day water fast, in the next day I had a banana raspberry smoothie, fifth day orange carrot smoothie and green salad, I will continue with 20:4 fasting. I don’t own a scale but I see how my clothes fit and the main reason is the health benefits of fasting. I would like to suggest dr. Jason Fung and his explanation on fasting vs. restricted calorie diet effects on the body.
    I would also like to hear opinions on people who have tried alternate day fasting and how do they feel about it? Best wishes to all!
  • houghtalingdavid1278
    houghtalingdavid1278 Posts: 19 Member
    yup. Pretty much limit my calories to two meals a day, fast from 10pm until noon. Works well for me, but I'm under no delusion that its magic, and that it is just a way for me to limit my intake. I always struggled with over-eating at night, so I basically just save up my calories for the evening and I can indulge without going over my 2000 cal limit.

pretty much the same for me