What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    Banana brownies no sugar no flour but satisfies chocolate sweet craving. Half with gluten free semisweet chocolate chips and half with dark chocolate sunflower cups
    y8f8hjkth12r.jpg

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    I made this cornbread recipe (well, kinda. I changed the ratios and used some buckwheat). Not mad at it and will make again.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    Today I made my husbands favorite--Pasta with butter. I used penne pasta cooked al dente, after I drained it I put it back in the pan and put cutup slices of butter on to melt, stir, then I sprinkled freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano on top, stirred again and added a little of the cooking water (that I saved in a cup), stir again and serve. More cheese can be sprinkled on top at the table. The trick is to use a very good quality semolino pasta. This is very simple and anyone can do it.

this is what alfredo started out as...

toss in some garlic & fresh herbs and it is even better.

Last thing I cooked...2 hrs ago...sweet potato & black bean burritos (Moosewood recipe) with spanish(ish) rice.
  • joygrrrl
    joygrrrl Posts: 19 Member
    4oz Hanger steak, small baked potato with yogurt & chives, wilted Kale with shaved Parmesan and 4oz of Pinot Noir...
    Very excited to say 543 calories 🤩✌️
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited April 2020
    Today I made my husbands favorite--Pasta with butter. I used penne pasta cooked al dente, after I drained it I put it back in the pan and put cutup slices of butter on to melt, stir, then I sprinkled freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano on top, stirred again and added a little of the cooking water (that I saved in a cup), stir again and serve. More cheese can be sprinkled on top at the table. The trick is to use a very good quality semolino pasta. This is very simple and anyone can do it.

this is what alfredo started out as...

toss in some garlic & fresh herbs and it is even better.

Last thing I cooked...2 hrs ago...sweet potato & black bean burritos (Moosewood recipe) with spanish(ish) rice.

I know--we have the original restaurant here in Rome where it was "invented". The owner, Alfredo, made it for his pregnant wife who had no appetite. She loved it and "Pasta Alfredo" was born.

Cacio and Peppe--usually a thick spaghetti (boughten or handmade) that is mixed with a creamy pecorino cheese sauce and freshly ground pepper. This is also a famous Roman dish.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Cacio e Pepe is great and one of the lighter ways to eat pasta with cheese. Only 40 g pecorino per person plus starchy pasta water. Though less likely to split if you add a little butter or oil.
  • snowflake954
    acpgee wrote: »
    Cacio e Pepe is great and one of the lighter ways to eat pasta with cheese. Only 40 g pecorino per person plus starchy pasta water. Though less likely to split if you add a little butter or oil.

Cacio e Pepe is one of the most difficult pasta dishes to make. It's simple but you need to know your stuff. It can become a lump (glue) in a minute. I love it when it's done right.
  • acpgee

Cacio e Pepe is one of the most difficult pasta dishes to make. It's simple but you need to know your stuff. It can become a lump (glue) in a minute. I love it when it's done right.

I am finding Cacio e Pepe works best for me if I do it in a room temperature bowl. The hubby is fanatic about very hot pasta and whenever he asks me to try to do it in the hot pan the pasta boiled in, it splits into cheese flavoured wine gums and salty water. I will make one last attempt in the hot pan, adding a little cold butter first. If that doesn't work will go back to my normal method in the cold bowl where I manage with just starchy water and the finely grated cheese.

I don't know how restaurants manage to serve this piping hot.
  • snowflake954

I am finding Cacio e Pepe works best for me if I do it in a room temperature bowl. The hubby is fanatic about very hot pasta and whenever he asks me to try to do it in the hot pan the pasta boiled in, it splits into cheese flavoured wine gums and salty water. I will make one last attempt in the hot pan, adding a little cold butter first. If that doesn't work will go back to my normal method in the cold bowl where I manage with just starchy water and the finely grated cheese.

I've watched numerous chefs here do it. I think the trick is to cook the pasta al dente or a little less, put in some hot water from cooking it, and then let it rest a minute or two, but before the pasta gets sticky, and quickly mix in the grated cheese. When we order it in restaurants, it's wonderfully creamy. I've also had it mixed in the hollowed out pecorino cheese round at the table.
  • snowflake954
    Pasta w clams, a few chopped oblong tomatoes, garlic, red pepper, black pepper, white wine and EVOO.

A note for Tomak--I'm taking pictures of what I'm cooking, just have to figure out how to post. The APP is in Italian and won't give me access to the English boards, I can only post to my news-feed. To get photos from phone to computer is complicated because my phone is a Sansung S8 and my computer a MacBook Air. My son is working on it. When I figure it out--watch out. You will have created a monster. I love to shoot photos.
  • snowflake954
    just_Tomek wrote: »

I've watched numerous chefs here do it. I think the trick is to cook the pasta al dente or a little less, put in some hot water from cooking it, and then let it rest a minute or two, but before the pasta gets sticky, and quickly mix in the grated cheese. When we order it in restaurants, it's wonderfully creamy. I've also had it mixed in the hollowed out pecorino cheese round at the table.

I just saw Jamie Oliver do this. He was adding pasta water and constantly tossing until it all became runny. Took a while but the result this way was amazing. He was saying you cannot let it rest even for a bit or it will set solid.... which might not be a bad thing if you have a knife handy :)

You know, I love this dish and am determined to get it. I've had it in restaurants and it's fantastic, especially with tonnerelli pasta. Tonnerelli is a fresh pasta that looks like thick spaghetti.

Another that I've almost got is a Naples staple--Pasta alla Scarpariello. Same thing trying to get a creamy cheese mixture, only with smoked cheese and tomato sauce.
  • acpgee

I just saw Jamie Oliver do this. He was adding pasta water and constantly tossing until it all became runny. Took a while but the result this way was amazing. He was saying you cannot let it rest even for a bit or it will set solid.... which might not be a bad thing if you have a knife handy :)

You know, I love this dish and am determined to get it. I've had it in restaurants and it's fantastic, especially with tonnerelli pasta. Tonnerelli is a fresh pasta that looks like thick spaghetti.

Another that I've almost got is a Naples staple--Pasta alla Scarpariello. Same thing trying to get a creamy cheese mixture, only with smoked cheese and tomato sauce.

This is not the official way to do it, but I get consistent results using the technique here. Mix the cheese and pasta water in a room temperature bowl until a bechamel consistency and then toss the pasta in it. Only hubby complains it is not piping hot.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/nov/03/how-to-make-the-perfect-cacio-e-pepe

• hexxennacht
    hexxennacht Posts: 22 Member
    Last night’s dinner was just a giant bowl of stir fried (low oil) broccoli and bell peppers. No rice necessary. I used a tbs of teriyaki sauce, 2 tbs soy sauce, a half tbs of oyster sauce and some sriracha. A literal drop of corn starch and water went into the sauce to thicken then I poured it over my veggies. Topped with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Ez dinner.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Friday was salmon and broccoli.
    Saturday was Air fried chicken wings and salad. I also baked a banana bread. I added on top of the 2 bananas, 1 super ripe pear and held the sugar. Turned out moist and sweet <3
    Sunday was Crockpot Chicken thighs with cabbage and salsa.
    Made cilantro lemon sauce too.
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    Cauliflower hot wings - vegan heaven recipe. The flavors were a knock out, but I’m gonna play with the recipe to try to get them a bit more crisp
  • snowflake954
    m2bejmopldzg.jpg
    Pasta w clams (yesterday)

Beauty. You got the pics 😉

Yessssssss!!
  • acpgee
    Glad you got the pics working @snowflake954.

BTW I made linguine cacio e pepe yesterday using this technique.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/02/spaghetti-cacio-e-pepe-recipe.html
    The cheese didn't melt entirely into the past water but I was afraid to apply heat and get that gummy mess. I do like my cacio e pepe a little on the dry side.
    zye84xnvxbt7.jpeg