Salads

Options
I am switching to salads for lunch to up my veggie intake. If any members have they most days for lunch would you mind sharing what you put in tours or even share a picture. Im looking for ideas.
Thanks

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    This is a favourite salad idea resource of mine

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, or tuna, prawns, cooked chicken.. Any portion of lean protein which is palatable cold.

Dressing - weigh it. It's too easy to over estimate what a tablespoon of dressing/mayo looks like.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I have a salad every day. Boneless skinless chicken breast, blueberries or strawberries, chopped raw nuts, chia seeds, greens (right now spring mix and arugula) raw veggies (right now, chopped celery, carrots, bell pepper, cucumber, onion). Dressing is usually a poppyseed vinaigrette
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The grocer near my office has a fair-sized salad bar that I used every day, pre-quarantine. This is my sodium minimizing take for a pay-per-weight salad: Avoid anything that has more than one ingredient, or has been more than cooked and cut for preparation. Avoid Iceberg lettuce, has minimal nutrients and you're just paying for water. Go for a mix of the darker greens. Diced egg and red beans for protein (the meats were too salty for me). Add the color!, diced red, orange, yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes, diced purple onion, and shredded carrots. Top with shredded almonds. Add a half dozen strawberries or a cup of blueberries (for dessert). Mushrooms, green onions, sunflower seeds, etc are good changes-of-pace. For the dressing, as my Cardio Rehab nurse used to say, "It's supposed to be a flavor enhancer, not a swimming pool!" Many of the serving sizes for those are 2 Tbsp...that's a lot.

This is about the only thing I truly miss during the quarantine...can't wait for my next full salad!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I’ve been into salads for lunch recently as well here is one...
    Lettuce, avocado, hard boiled egg, bacon, sunflower seeds, cucumber, onions, whatever cheese on hand. I use Ken’s lite Northern Italian dressing (45 cal for 2T).
    s51ayowdcc3u.jpeg