NEAT Improvement Strategies to Improve Weight Loss

Replies

• moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    How are folx increasing they're neat during coronavirus
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    I know several extrovert-type friends who are using the "social down time" to check off things on their "do all the round the house puttering" lists. Turning out closets, switching up photos on the walls (painting rooms if local reno/DIY stores still open or delivering). That kind of thing
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited March 2020
    @Strudders67, are you eventually going to file the papers or shred them?

(I am doing a lot of pacing around my living room. 😞)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,533 Member
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    How are folx increasing they're neat during coronavirus

I've been putting my laptop on the counter and marching/dancing in place while online. I'm walking around to get in extra steps doing stuff like using the back bathroom, taking one pile of laundry to my room at a time, not procrastinating, cleaning and decluttering, putting on funky music while doing chores and dancing, and gardening. I've been doing a lot of workout videos on YouTube to make up for the gym.

I've only had my Fitbit for a month, I knew I fidgeted a lot but I have a rocking loveseat and tend to rock, my Fitbit logged 10,000 steps while I watched a movie, I do it way more than I thought!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    @SaraKim17, probably about 50% will need to be filed and 50% will be shredded/binned/composted. But in the stacks of papers dotted around there are newspapers where I turned down a corner of a page because there was something to do / read / visit that interested me, flyers for events and almost certainly post that hasn't been opened. I'm so far behind that any exhibitions etc will have long passed. I'll be very disappointed if this period of lock-down ends and my filing isn't up straight.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    at one point on Friday, while waiting for my lunch to finish in the microwave, I held onto the kitchen since and bounced in place. Another time, I did a few jumping jacks, and still another time, I walked loops around the house - the cats thought I was crazy :)

When the weather is nice, I take at least a 30 minute walk, and lately, I've tried to push it to an hour. If the weather isn't nice, then I shoot for 30-45 minutes on my elliptical at home. Not as efficient as walking since its a cheap elliptical, but it still has me moving, at least.

But I did notice a sharp reduction in my step count during the day. When i'm in the office, I can average around 1500 calories during the work day just walking to the printer, the bathroom, the break room, etc. And thats from working in a smaller building and being sedentary most of the day at my desk! but the first day I worked from home, I barely got 400 steps in before the end of the day. That day required a very long elliptical session......

I'm going to try next week to get up a little earlier and hit the elliptical before I log in for the day, especially as next week is not going to be very nice weatherwise. And I've been looking up beginner aerobic videos on Youtube and beginner body weight routines. I came across one from Nerdfitness - can anyone vouch for their stuff?
  • BMcC9
    bump - much needed for ideas with people stuck at home ...
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    @Strudders67, thanks for responding!

Yard work is helping these days: weeding, picking up sticks and pinecones, pulling ivy, trimming shrubs, etc. The time outside is nice too.

Lots of pacing while talking on the phone.

Taking more trips than necessary up and down two flights of stairs while doing the laundry.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    b1229 wrote: »
    I have been working from home since the lock down, sitting nearly 10hrs a day, just bought a excercise ball to use as a chair, bouncing up and down majority of the day, has anyone used them, and do they help?

Help what?

Increase calorie burn? Doubtless will, a bit, but may be hard to figure out by how much (even with a fitness tracker, since who knows whether they'd pick that up sensibly).

Improve core strength? Possibly . . . but attention to posture is important, or it can aggravate back problems. (I was sitting on one for banjo practice for a while, but I couldn't pay attention to both, so it was better for my back to separate them.)

They're great for lots of exercises, not just sitting. If you haven't, check out some YouTube videos. Ball roll-outs are fun, you can use them for some strength exercises (but be careful, start with ultra light weight!) to challenge core/balance while doing the strength moves), and more. Nice for some stretches, too. It should be a good, useful, versatile purchase, whether it works out as a chair-substitute in your individual case or not.

Best wishes!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    b1229 wrote: »
    I have been working from home since the lock down, sitting nearly 10hrs a day, just bought a excercise ball to use as a chair, bouncing up and down majority of the day, has anyone used them, and do they help?

I love bouncing on my ball. It definitely picks up bounces as steps on my fitbit. It also picks up the active minutes if I continue for more than 10 minutes.

I can tell you that it has also really helped improve my core muscles. I am way more steady on the ball now. However, I also started doing a 15 minute pilates workout 3-5 days a week. It makes a huge difference. Plus it is a lot of fun to bounce.
  • BMcC9
    bump
  • KmarK2020
    KmarK2020 Posts: 2 Member
    These all seem to be good ideas to me I need to implement them now as I realised I sit most of the day if I’m not doing my morning exercise.
  • ThisMagicMoment
    ThisMagicMoment Posts: 39 Member
    Very helpful thread!

Getting my first Fitbit several years ago taught me the benefits of being inefficient with tasks around the house and yard, just trying to get in as many steps as possible.

We had a senior pug that never learned how to "ask" to go out, so I made it a habit of taking her out every two or three hours all day long so she could have plenty of bathroom breaks. We'd usually walk once around the yard each time, which is about 200-250 steps.

After she died, I noticed a sudden big decrease in the amount of steps I was getting, just by no longer doing that little walk around the yard several times a day.