I dont understand why the weight hasnt dropped yet :(

5ft 4
218lb
Female

I hate to be one of those people but....why t.f am i not skinny yet.🤣

I started keto 4 weeks ago and hated it, awful decision but i did lose 6lbs. But i realised quickly that i was eating about 3000 cals a day im pure cholesterol so quit keto and went to calorie counting with sensible macros. I figure if i count my colories i know where I'm at.

So I've been calorie counting for almost 2 weeks and also doing a bit of cardio - literally 15 -20 minutes walking workout maybe 3 times a week, im just building it up slowly. I started off with 1200 but was too hungry so now Im eating 1500 calories a day which I feel better on.

If you look at my diary its probably a total mess and doesnt make sense because ive been playing playing with it and learning how to use it, but i SWEAR i am logging my food every day, being painfully accurate weighing every single thing on a digital scale, absolutley everything.

I know its only been 2 weeks but i wouldnt of hoped the scale to of shifted a bit by now.

I seem to be maintaining. I dont see how this is possible seeing as before this is was eating huge amounts of crap and noe im eating small amounts of healthy food.

Someone tell me i just need to keep going becuase I cant help feeling a bit fed up this morning 😔

Replies

• JK1542020
    JK1542020 Posts: 73 Member
    harper16 wrote: »
    Weight loss isn't linear. I've been at the same weight for like 7 weeks. Keep counting calories, and the results will come.
    I didn't gain the weight overnight. I shouldn't expect it to drop off overnight.

But im right at the start of my weight loss and im pretty overweight so i expected a bit of a drop at least.

Could it be im eating too much fat? Im doing lower carbs (under 100) for medical reasons so my fst is higher but its all good fat - avo, nuts, olive oil, fish etc

I guess the reason I'm so confused is because i was a slimming world member a couple of years back and lost 4 stone that way (it all went back on plus some with depression). At that time i was eating loads every day, lots of bowls of pasta and fry ups and fruit 🙈 but i was losing 2 or 3 lbs per week easily if not more. And i was very full, not weighing or measuring anything, eating tones of carbs.

It just doesnt make sense to me. If its cals in vs cals out i should be doing better now surely
  • JK1542020
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    If you have just gone from keto to low carb your body would be retaining the extra fluid it lost while doing keto. If you are eating at a deficit the weight loss will come, despite how much fat you eat. Just have patience and give it time.

However, allowing the public to view your diary may be helpful to pick up common logging areas if that is of assistance to you. Here will show you how. https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032273872-How-do-I-make-my-diary-visible-to-other-users-

Woops i thought it was open...it is now!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Looked at your diary and must say it looks good. If you're logging everything you're good to go. I, too, think it's just the changeover from keto giving you water weight. If you haven't already, take your measurements weekly and start keeping a journal. This will help you see some progress when the scale doesn't move. Just keep going and you should see progress in a week or two. Good luck.
  • JK1542020
    OP to add: patience. You need to get out of that fast loss is good mindset. You have 60 to 80 plus pounds to lose “to get skinny” if that’s what you want as a goal. Take it slowly, it’s better to lose a pound a week. That’s a year or so. A year is nothing. I speak as someone who has gone up and down in weight for a lot of her adult life.

Fast loss = rebound for so many of us here.

I was kidding when i said that ;) but yes i totally get its gonna be a long game, i still think going from 3000 cals a day to 1500 should of produced some kind of result 😔but im hoping as others have said its the transition and i just need to be more consisitent and wait. I hope anyway! Thank you x
  • JK1542020
    Looked at your diary and must say it looks good. If you're logging everything you're good to go. I, too, think it's just the changeover from keto giving you water weight. If you haven't already, take your measurements weekly and start keeping a journal. This will help you see some progress when the scale doesn't move. Just keep going and you should see progress in a week or two. Good luck.

Thank you for the encouragement, i hope you're right! I might just not weigh for a couple of weeks...saves me the constant second guessing!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,387 Member
    patience-you-must-have-my-young-padawan-marmagennratar-17758009.png

Like other people have said: when you do keto you don't lose fast faster, but water. Water is not fat, but of course has a weight as well. If you don't believe it: step on the scale and note the number, then drink half a liter of water and step on the scale again. You're probably close to 500gr heavier.

Also, water weight is a *kitten*! It goes up for about 50 different reasons, or about 500 if you're a woman. This can be due to eating a bit more salt, due to being close to ovulation, menstruation, office work, sitting a bit longer in any form of transport, and especially plane waterweight is the worst! Bit more stress, bit less stress, not sleeping well, poorly dosed thyroid meds, any workout that is new or more difficult than a previous one, etc. Plus poop! Not everyone goes every day, thus adds non-fat weight as well.

So there are a couple of options: only weigh ever now and then. Of course there's the risk that you hit one of those high waterweight days. But it might be better for your mental wellbeing. Or you could weigh every morning, naked, after having been to the bathroom and use a weight trending app, and just accept that water and poop-weight (gosh, i hope this word catches on here!) fluctuates.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,540 Member
    Nope on poopies-weighties as a separate term: poop goes into the water weight cause it then stops people from trying to drink more to get rid of their water weight, and it makes it more clear that we're talking about non-fat weight in general.

Weight trend app. Same point in menstrual cycle for comparison.

Lower to higher carb = giving back borrowed water weight loss that came along when first implementing low carb.

To OP.... don't look for quick changes. Keep thinking in five year terms. Can you do what you're doing for five years? Then it's good to go!!! No way? Then keep looking for more long term alternatives!

If you want to lose 80 and keep it off... that's not a short term diet and I'm done sort of thing, and it's not as of there exists some other magical alternative that will make everything go better.

Also, are you diagnosed diabetic, with medication, or is doctor saying you're prediabetic lose weight?

For many, not all, people losing weight, by itself (and with a concomitant increase in moderate exercise--which can be as mild as an appreciable quantity of walking for exercise) is enough to bring pre diabetic markers down.

Check with Dr if a more suitable to you way of eating would be ok by them as long as you do lose weight
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    freelymama wrote: »
    OP to add: patience. You need to get out of that fast loss is good mindset. You have 60 to 80 plus pounds to lose “to get skinny” if that’s what you want as a goal. Take it slowly, it’s better to lose a pound a week. That’s a year or so. A year is nothing. I speak as someone who has gone up and down in weight for a lot of her adult life.

Fast loss = rebound for so many of us here.

I was kidding when i said that ;) but yes i totally get its gonna be a long game, i still think going from 3000 cals a day to 1500 should of produced some kind of result 😔but im hoping as others have said its the transition and i just need to be more consisitent and wait. I hope anyway! Thank you x

It did produce a result, it seems: It made you impatient for quick bodyweight and appearance changes, because it felt like a big change.

Juuuusssssttt kidding (kinda) - for sure, meant kindly.

There's a whole package of things that contribute to actual success, where "success" is defined as "achieving a healthy body weight and staying at a healthy weight long term". Patience is really high on the list.

If, as a mostly-grown person, you've not always been at your current bodyweight, how long did it take you to get there? Pretty sure the answer is not "2 weeks" or "4 weeks". If you're like most of us, the pounds probably crept up gradually, with maybe some jumps (pregnancy gain that became long-term, high-stress period that involved substantial overeating, etc.). But mostly, a couple/few pounds here and there, spread over a long time.

Good news: It can come off faster than it went on, if you're patient. Just not fastFast, not if you want to be healthy and preserve good appearance and energy level. :flowerforyou:

Maybe think of this phase as "practice for maintaining a healthy weight"? If the goal is "learning how to eat/move to stay at a healthy weight", the milestones along the way are different than if the goal is "lose pounds". ;)