WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Glenda- If your friend cares for you for real doesn’t just want someone to keep pace with her as she drinks so she doesn’t feel guilty then a simple explanation should be enough. If she can’t accept it she has a problem that’s not something you can control. If your choosing not to drink to either stop completely or for diet reasons cutting back she needs to be understanding as you drink a water. Maybe even suggest doing other things together other than social drinking places like the movies or Netflix masks on with a nice meal you cooked (that way you control the menu). Walk in the park together masks on . Even grocery shop together. Doesn’t have to be a drinking situation every time . If she can’t handle your new life decisions that speaks volumes about your relationship in her eyes. She should be able to understand your new plateau in life that’s for you your benefit. My friend is cheering me on Daughter too they have made changes for their visits in the future after this pandemic y before to eat at healthier places for me. Real friends survive our growth in life which is constant. Friends who don’t feel closely to us will drop away for silly reasons. I had many drop away because I became pregnant late in life or remarried silly reasons to drop someone here I supported them through their ups y downs they didn’t meet me half way! So in the end left with 1 True Friend. That’s not a bad thing.

I was born allergic to alcohol 🍷 🍺 y wines y even balsamic vinegar. So pressure to drink when you can’t is real hurtful. Been there done that. Some understood I drank a diet soda or water even a plain juice while they drank. Real friends or ones willing to be temporary friends on the road of life even check the menus of a restaurant before deciding which one. They’d say after the list of drinks for the other gals they ended with tea for Amber. We went to events without alcohol together they had their alcohol only events without me or I’d look at a dress shop while they weant in for the hour long wine tasting ,then we met up after to look at things or hit a restaurant. Navy Daughter has chosen not to be a drinker so like I tell her sometimes if it’s a new friend they just won’t take no for an answer belt out allergic. They’ll back off or you can guilt trip them for wanting you to die lol 😂. If it’s an old friend stand your ground say simply I don’t guilt you for not wanting to eat “state something you know they hate to eat or drink or do even perhaps it’s clowns 🤡 “ . Say as my friend I expect you to understand my choices back me up if someone else doesn’t! There is low cal alcohol feee drinks out there also.
    Lucky for you I used to serve alcohol at my jobs first TABC licensed person allergic to alcohol they came out studied me for future allergic bar tenders to restaurant workers. Heineken nonalcoholic beer 69cal at Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Heineken-0-0-Alcohol-Free-Beer-6-pack-11-2-fl-oz-bottles-69-Calories/478508608

Sparkling cider instead of wine just look for low cal ones. 20cal small http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitehouse-Apple-Cider-Vinegar-Grape/368839146

Fre wine is Alcohol removed wine (I can’t have this one like a peanut allergy reasons) 90cal http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fre-Alcohol-Removed-Moscato-Wine-750-ML/123995403

Tea with lemon 🍋 low cal sweetners .
    Amber Tx

Bars to dance clubs ask your bar tender do not be afraid to ask calories y a list of nonalcoholic options of food to drink. Some have a few diet cokes or juice or even tea bottled waters etc behind the counter to may even have a hidden bar menu item they’ll suggest from salad to kettle chips.

Don’t ever be scared to stick up for yourself just say no. Have a bag of veggies in a purse to bottled water in there. Hang in there she’ll catch on soon enough to the fact you won’t cave.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Uuuu
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    I have a question at this point where it seems most places in the US and in some other locations are beginning to open up at some level from very little to a bunch, What have you learned from this experience that surprised you?

Kim from N. California
    Kim — Sorry, but I don't understand exactly what you're getting at. Can you clarify your question?
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    Good afternoon ladies! <3

I decanted my "fire cider" this morning. Rebecca, it looks like your chicken broth with turmeric. :D Taste is not as hot as I thought it would be, but it still has plenty of zip. It will be great in salad dressings, and to make my nose run/eyes water when my sinuses are acting up. I'll try a teaspoon of it next time I get a sinus headache and let you know the outcome. :o

Heather - what a neat picnic with the kids and grands. Glad your son is making some progress selling the AF beverages, but what a bummer with bars and restaurants closed down. Crossing fingers relax a bit with summery sunny weather.

Regarding stimulus check - the IRS silently slipped ours into our checking account on April 15th. Had I not gone through the bank statement when I saw we had a larger balance than I anticipated, I never would have known. It is labeled "Federal Tax Refund." The IRS already had our bank account number from the refunds we get nearly every year.

Shopping at Walmart and Safeway was busier than I expected this morning, but stores still weren't that crowded. I was able to speak to a long-time checker at Walmart who said not a single cashier has gotten the virus to her knowledge, despite being with hundreds of customers each day. Only within the past week have they put up the sneeze guards and made mask wearing mandatory for employees. So something's working and I'm very grateful.

Lanette
    Rainy and windy SW WA State

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Funny song who knew he could sing country too! https://youtu.be/pptyJgq4zkM

Amber Tx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    (((Kylia))) prayers!

Heather love the picnic and wisteria!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    ☘️
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    edited May 2020
    Glenda- If your friend cares for you for real doesn’t just want someone to keep pace with her as she drinks so she doesn’t feel guilty then a simple explanation should be enough. If she can’t accept it she has a problem that’s not something you can control. If your choosing not to drink to either stop completely or for diet reasons cutting back she needs to be understanding as you drink a water. Maybe even suggest doing other things together other than social drinking places like the movies or Netflix masks on with a nice meal you cooked (that way you control the menu). Walk in the park together masks on . Even grocery shop together. Doesn’t have to be a drinking situation every time . If she can’t handle your new life decisions that speaks volumes about your relationship in her eyes. She should be able to understand your new plateau in life that’s for you your benefit. My friend is cheering me on Daughter too they have made changes for their visits in the future after this pandemic y before to eat at healthier places for me. Real friends survive our growth in life which is constant. Friends who don’t feel closely to us will drop away for silly reasons. I had many drop away because I became pregnant late in life or remarried silly reasons to drop someone here I supported them through their ups y downs they didn’t meet me half way! So in the end left with 1 True Friend. That’s not a bad thing.

I was born allergic to alcohol 🍷 🍺 y wines y even balsamic vinegar. So pressure to drink when you can’t is real hurtful. Been there done that. Some understood I drank a diet soda or water even a plain juice while they drank. Real friends or ones willing to be temporary friends on the road of life even check the menus of a restaurant before deciding which one. They’d say after the list of drinks for the other gals they ended with tea for Amber. We went to events without alcohol together they had their alcohol only events without me or I’d look at a dress shop while they weant in for the hour long wine tasting ,then we met up after to look at things or hit a restaurant. Navy Daughter has chosen not to be a drinker so like I tell her sometimes if it’s a new friend they just won’t take no for an answer belt out allergic. They’ll back off or you can guilt trip them for wanting you to die lol 😂. If it’s an old friend stand your ground say simply I don’t guilt you for not wanting to eat “state something you know they hate to eat or drink or do even perhaps it’s clowns 🤡 “ . Say as my friend I expect you to understand my choices back me up if someone else doesn’t! There is low cal alcohol feee drinks out there also.
    Lucky for you I used to serve alcohol at my jobs first TABC licensed person allergic to alcohol they came out studied me for future allergic bar tenders to restaurant workers. Heineken nonalcoholic beer 69cal at Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Heineken-0-0-Alcohol-Free-Beer-6-pack-11-2-fl-oz-bottles-69-Calories/478508608

Sparkling cider instead of wine just look for low cal ones. 20cal small http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitehouse-Apple-Cider-Vinegar-Grape/368839146

Fre wine is Alcohol removed wine (I can’t have this one like a peanut allergy reasons) 90cal http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fre-Alcohol-Removed-Moscato-Wine-750-ML/123995403

Tea with lemon 🍋 low cal sweetners .
    Amber Tx

Bars to dance clubs ask your bar tender do not be afraid to ask calories y a list of nonalcoholic options of food to drink. Some have a few diet cokes or juice or even tea bottled waters etc behind the counter to may even have a hidden bar menu item they’ll suggest from salad to kettle chips.

Don’t ever be scared to stick up for yourself just say no. Have a bag of veggies in a purse to bottled water in there. Hang in there she’ll catch on soon enough to the fact you won’t cave.

Thank you so much for the pep talk, you are of course correct. I’ll have to talk to her.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did Denise Austin’s pilates for beginners. I think this DVD is too basic so I’m going to pitch it. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Cool It Off DVD. I know this is mostly stretching, but I need to see how it is. It’s part of the Beachbody Slim in Six series

Katla – we got our stimulus check a few weeks ago. It was before Easter. That day Vince went out and bought his TV, and I’m getting the front lawn done by a landscaper. If I’m real real lucky, Vince will say “gee, it looks so nice, why don’t we get the backyard done”. But I won’t hold my breath. Like I’ve said, he has this “thing” about having someone do something he can do himself.

Terri – I did crochet a mask. It has a spot for a filter (since crochet, no matter how hard you try, is going to be somewhat open). I think it’ll be too warm for the summertime which is why I’m asking this lady to make me some. I need to go get the material because it doesn’t look like she has any with a cat theme. I know if I can get that, Vince just might wear it. I never knew that a mask can have an expiration date! Thanks for telling me. Why do you think islands have such a lower percentage of cases? St. Kitts is pretty low and so are some of the other islands. Update: I don’t see an expiration date on the masks and we have the original packaging. Well, I guess something is better than nothing.

SuziQ – I don’t think I’ve EVER called Denise and she’s answered. It’s always gone to voice mail. Many is the time that I don’t get a call back. This makes us sad, but there’s nothing we can do. I question why a store won’t give a raincheck if they don’t have stock? When (or if) you use it is up to you.

Bertie – welcome!

Kylia – my heart goes out to you and your entire family

I want to make a cake for our virtual birthday party for PJ but I want to use tofu instead of all the oil it calls for. But if Vince sees me putting tofu in it even tho you can’t taste it, he won’t eat it. So I have to wait until he’s in another room. Ahh…he went in the other room, so I can make it now Update: I think the tofu made the cake dense, but I still won't tell Vince that there's tofu in it.

Have the hazardous waste collection today.

The cake just came out of the oven. Looks like it didn’t rise in the middle which is good since I’m not real good with a leveler Now to let it cool. I’ll probably let it cool while we go to the hazardous waste.

I wonder if I can freeze the rest of the tofu. I just looked online and it says that you can. I wonder if it’ll have the same consistency as now when it is defrosted. Well, I’ll give it a try. What’s the worst that can happen?

Went to the hazardous waste. We sat in the car for 4-1/2 to 5 hours! People were bringing things like TV’s that can go to the landfill. I don’t know if they even knew that they could take them there. Then went to WalMart to see about fabric for the masks, but they had almost nothing. So decided to go to JoAnn’s fabrics. Had to wait for about 5 people since they can only have 7 in the store at a time. After looking 3 times, I finally found something sort-of suitable. They had lots of fabrics with dogs on them but only one other one with cats. And that one I really didn’t like because the cats were so big. There was absolutely no social distancing. Well, while waiting in the car I did play some mahjongg. Wish I’d had my table with me since I have another mahjongg game on it and this one keeps score. Oh well….

Walked the material I got over to the lady to have her make the masks. I realized that I was even procrastinating about taking the material there. That’s so not like me.

So many people are now cutting their own hair, I wonder if they’ll continue after all this?

Lanette – when are blueberries in season?

Want to make another spinach/feta but no place has whole wheat flour. Well, Monday I plan to go to the Salvation Army to make another donation (this will be the third, I was saying to Vince that we should just take his SUV with all the stuff I have) and on the way there is another food store that I’ll stop in and see if they have any. I did want to make it tomorrow but I guess I can’t

Amber – there must have been at least a dozen people at the hazardous waste. I saw one guy with his mask around his neck, another guy with his mask on top of his head and only one or two people wearing a mask. These people are dealing with hazardous waste! If anyone needs a mask, it would be them. You did a great job on your hair!

Dawne – welcome back,

Made the icing for PJ’s virtual birthday cake and then cut the cake into the shape of the number 1. Tomorrow I’ll ice it. Made the icing because I need to put the bowl that I make it into the dishwasher and since I was going to be running it anyway…..

Glenda – great visual Congrats

Tracey – what a lovely thing you’ll be doing

Michele NC