Doctors allowing low calories and heavy exercise

alesandramichelle
alesandramichelle Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay so I just wanted to get some different point of views on this.

In 4 months I had lost 72 pounds 217 to 145 and I am 5 ft 6. I have been to 3 different primary doctors during those months and my weight has always been charted as well as me discussing my overly obsessive exercise and calorie counting (I’m on depression meds and they always ask about factors in my life causing me addition stress)
I have been doing over 3 hours of cardio (75 minutes running on the treadmill, 90 on the elliptical and 30 minutes speed walking on the treadmill at a 9% incline and everyday (maybe take 3 days off a month do to my body hurting and feeling too weak) as well as an hour of light weight training with toning exercises. my body has truly transformed and has done so super quickly but instead of doing it to solely improve my heath I’ve used it as a way to torture myself as I struggled with self harm for many years. I’ve been exhausting myself to the point of passing out and feeling extremely weak 24/7 I only allow myself to eat 900 calories a day consisting of protein powder drinks, egg whites, chicken, veggies and tons of water as well as cold brew coffee. Many days I don’t reach my 900 calorie mark. I’ve talked about this with THREE different doctors as both my mother and fiancé have asked me to do so to get the professional standpoint backing their points of me needing to fuel myself more and stop the workout obsession and unhealthy calorie intake. I, as well as them have all read about how you shouldn’t eat too few calories and you should fuel your body for heavy workouts. After talking with three different doctors and sharing my workout and eating habits, none of them say it’s bad and 2 of them have said it’s perfectly fine. All of my numbers when I get my blood drawn are healthy and normal so there is “no risk” for diabetes or bad cholesterol that would cause them to urge me to these extremes as my mother tries to explain. My loved ones seem worried and the doctors aren’t phased or concerned in the slightest. Who would you listen to? Should I tell my loved ones they are wrong since the doctors approve? Or look at my doctors in concern as my mother and fiancé are furious with all of their lack of leading me into a “proper” healthy lifestyle. Just looking to get some point of views on this. Thank you kindly everyone

Replies

• pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    I think the responses above are very good and something you might really want to think about.

One thing I wonder is what antidepressant you're on. You don't have to say, but what you're describing reminds me a little of Wellbutrin/ Bupropion. Everyone reacts differently to it, and any antidepressant. But for some, and I was on it for quite some time, Wellbutrin can be like methamphetamine. In other words, not good, not good at all. But some stay on it bc they like that it makes them skinny.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited May 2020
    You're seeing the wrong type of professional. You need to talk to a registered dietician and a therapist (or psychiatrist) to go over the diet aspects and the self harm aspects. A doctor could refer you if you ask but seek them out on purpose. The doctors are just checking blood and stuff, and don't have specific training on diet and mental health.

A friend of mine and my husband's died in January at age 30 after her battle with anorexia. Eating disorders can and do kill.
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Please get help....before your life is cut short by your extreme habits. At this point...you might not see your value. You may not be a person of faith, but if you are - God has a purpose for your life....and you are loved...even when you do not like yourself...even when you do not feel adequate. If you are not religious...guess what...you have value to all who know you...but until you are taking care of yourself in a healthy way...you will not realize the worth you bring. Please. Listen to your family members who love you... and go to a psychiatrist or psychologist who specializes in eating disorders.