Weight watchers vs calorie counting?

2»

Replies

• sandymi1209
    sandymi1209 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi all, I am new here. I just joined and found this group. I was doing WW also. I did have success for about a year. I took of 37 lbs, but then I got stuck and struggled to get back into it but haven't been able to. So I have decided to try MFP and get my weight back off that I have gained the past 6 months.
  • ParisPrincesse
    ParisPrincesse Posts: 24 Member
    WW has changed their program so now you choose the one that is best for you. It is no longer everything is free unless you choose that plan. I have gone back to the green plan which I love because now I count everything but veggies and fruit. Just give it a try and see what you think. ❤️
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    edited May 2020
    WW completely overhauls their program approximately every 4 years and tweaks it a few times in between overhauls. The current program has been around for awhile. I suspect a shiny new program will be forthcoming soon.

It’s one of the reasons I stopped using it. I found a version I liked that worked for me, then it was scrapped and the new program didn’t work as well. I couldn’t access the online tools from the version that had worked once the new program was instituted. I was using it to help with post pregnancy weighloss, so I left and came back with years in between three times. I had the proverbial rug yanked out from under me twice before I stopped trying and switched to a free calorie counting app.

If they ever relaunched the online tools from the program version I liked at a discount I might be persuaded to return. But probably not.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited May 2020
    I've done both. I've had success with both. I spend time on both MFP and WW. I'm currently tracking with WW right now. Counting calories makes me a little obsessive and points do not. There are three different plans. The plan I'm on most clean, I'll call them, foods are free. This is working for me. I don't go to meetings, never have. Years ago I did Winning Points. Honestly WW may revamp their plans to attract new members but in my opinion the basics are still there even if they change the name or the point system.
  • VegDogMama
    VegDogMama Posts: 268 Member
    I have been on weight watchers twice before. Both times it worked but the second time I was so hungry I had to quit. They wouldn't give me any more points.

I agree with some of the posts here that points don't translate into real life, and if you ever go off the program you're not going to be counting points anymore, so it's easier to slip back into old habits.

That said, if you want to try it, it works for a lot of people ... Do what works best for you.
  • eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    I've had better luck with calorie counting. The last time I tried WW was after a lot of experience calorie counting. I had a day that according to WW was DOUBLE my point allowance but when I calculated the calories, it didn't even come to 1000. That's because I hadn't eaten the "right" foods. I decided then that I was done. (For the record, it wasn't a day of candy and pie. A vegetarian pot pie was a huge chunk of the points because it had a crust. :D )
  • LukesGreenMilk
    LukesGreenMilk Posts: 56 Member
    edited May 2020
    Monnietron wrote: »
    I see a lot of comments from people who don't agree with Weight Watchers. I have been on WW for almost a year, and I am down 40 lbs. and 6 lbs. from goal. Calorie counting has never been sustainable for me, and WW has been amazing. I have recently started tracking calories as well, so I can use that for maintenance. I am 5'2 and my TDEE is 1675. I average 1200-1400 calories a day. I have averaged 0.8 lbs. a week loss.

I recommend WW to anyone. It has been a life saver for me.
    I’m happy for you, but I’m confused how an inaccurate counting system can be more helpful for you than an accurate counting system? I don’t get how it’s a lifesaver.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited May 2020
    Losing weight is always about eating less calories than your body burns, no matter which program you are following. Someone, somewhere, has counted the calories, has determined, how much to eat, and what you can, and can’t eat and drink,to be in a calorie deficit. It’s big business.
    Or, we can accurately track it ourselves, eat what we choose, be in a calorie deficit, lose weight, and save some money. It’s up to you 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited May 2020
    I have done both. I prefer calorie counting. I like to know what is going on. And when I did ww, fruits and veg were 0 points... but I also didn't care about eating them. I found I was under eating. Like 1100 cals a day when I checked (im 5' 6", thats way too little for me). I lost weight but felt pretty terrible the whole time. I much prefer having control over what I eat and being able to look at my macros and diary to see what went well and what didn't.
  • Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    I see a lot of comments from people who don't agree with Weight Watchers. I have been on WW for almost a year, and I am down 40 lbs. and 6 lbs. from goal. Calorie counting has never been sustainable for me, and WW has been amazing. I have recently started tracking calories as well, so I can use that for maintenance. I am 5'2 and my TDEE is 1675. I average 1200-1400 calories a day. I have averaged 0.8 lbs. a week loss.

I’m happy for you, but I’m confused how an inaccurate counting system can be more helpful for you than an accurate counting system? I don’t get how it’s a lifesaver.

I'm probably not going to explain this well, but I'm going to try. I understand "calories in calories out." However just tracking my calories and eating whatever I wanted, I never learned any good habits. I would eat a bunch of crap, go over my calories, give up, and the cycle would continue.
    Starting WW, foods are assigned points. I had 23 points a day. I am a volume eater. I found that I would rather eat boneless skinless chicken breast for 0 points, than a cheeseburger for idk, 14. If I wanted a snack, I would grab some grapes for 0 points, not a granola bar for 6 points. For some reason these numbers just clicked better with me.
    Now that I am down 40 lbs and only have a few to go, and I am a shorty, I know I have to pay attention to my calories as well, and I am working on cutting down portion sizes. WW has already given me a way to know better what I should put in my body.

I hope this makes some sort of sense! I get it doesn't work for everybody, but it really did help my relationship with food, and I know I will be able to make this a new way of life.
  • Mugs203
    Mugs203 Posts: 26 Member

which plan are you following on WW?
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    I've done both, and prefer calorie counting for all the reasons others have already listed. I find WW to be somewhat old fashioned and dated in their approach to nutrition.
  • CassiCrafts
    CassiCrafts Posts: 6 Member
    I couldn't lose weight on WW, but that doesn't mean it's not good. Like someone mentioned before, I WILL over eat on those 0 point foods. I'll go out of my way just to say "well its 0 points and I want to snack" and then boom all the fruit in the house is gone. I have a tenancy to binge eat, and even when I binge on healthy foods, it's too much. Calorie counting I do eat healthier, because if I want to binge or eat a lot at one time...I just save my calories for it. And I can see that even at 0 points, it's still calories, and if I let myself run loose on it, well there we go. Like I said though, everyone is different, eating habits, weight, hunger pangs, it all feeds into what will work for you. So take what I say with a grain of salt.