Simplified ways of tracking for maintenance

Has anyone simplified their way of tracking for maintenance? For example, instead of weighing every vegetable for the day, just logging a preset generic entry for veggies. Some days you may eat more, some days less, but it averages over time. I am just thinking of ways to simplify tracking for the long run.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Has anyone simplified their way of tracking for maintenance? For example, instead of weighing every vegetable for the day, just logging a preset generic entry for veggies. Some days you may eat more, some days less, but it averages over time. I am just thinking of ways to simplify tracking for the long run.

I do something like that with lower calorie vegetables now. I log an amount that I do not think I would normally exceed though. I do not expect it to average out, at least not there.

An example is onion which I use pretty much daily in my eggs. I log 200g. Since I am preparing it in a bowl and the bowl is in the scale I still weigh the onion but no matter if it is 150 or 180 I still log 200g. If I am doing something different I might skip weighing the onion if the one I use is approximately the size I normally use.

You might think this is pointless but it is not weighing that I find time consuming it is logging and changing values. I would rather use the previous entries as much as is reasonable. In this way I do not have to stop and either write it down or log on the spot.

On higher calorie items I try to use the same amounts as much as possible and I try to stick to package serving sizes when possible. It may not seem like much but it is still faster to enter 2 servings of cheese instead of 56 grams.
  • Annie42019
    Annie42019 Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2020
    I did a bit of a weight watchers twist on MFP. I set my calories about 200 per day below the suggested for weight loss. I did not track veggies other than potatoes and don’t track berries ( most of the other fruit I like is much higher in calories and I track that). It made things simpler. I lost 75 pounds in 9 months and am coming up on a year of maintenance. It worked well for me and probably encouraged me to eat more veggies. ... I eat a HUGE amount. I still in maintenance track everything else.
  • adrienneh88
    adrienneh88 Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks Annie42019. I was thinking of trying something along those lines. I would love to make salads more but hate weighing 10 different veggies. I am glad this worked for you. Do you make a lot of salads or mainly just have 1 portion of veggies at each meal?
  • Annie42019
    Annie42019 Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2020
    Thanks Annie42019. I was thinking of trying something along those lines. I would love to make salads more but hate weighing 10 different veggies. I am glad this worked for you. Do you make a lot of salads or mainly just have 1 portion of veggies at each meal?

I eat a TON of salads with tons of veggies. Like 3-4 night per week and it’s a huge bowl....the sort you’d use for mixing a cake mix! I track only the protein and dressing.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Yeah, I don't bother weighing or logging food or exercise, because in the past I've found this unsustainable long term (for me). Throwing together a salad or meal is so much easier when not splitting hairs about logging - especially when cooking for multiple people who might need more or less than me (different serving sizes), or batch-cooking, or eating different amounts depending on hunger on a given day.

I focus on sticking to certain eating principles (for me: liberal LCHF wholefoods & intermittent fasting). Most foods I eat are super healthy and can't do me harm, and only a few things need to be carefully moderated (dark chocolate, red wine, etc), in which case I have other ways of moderating that don't require weighing/logging.

For example, I will drink one glass of red wine with dinner 3-4 nights a week: I don't drink more than that. Chocolate is a temptation and my biggest weakness; to moderate the "damage" I only buy 85% dark chocolate (lower in sugar and carbs), and only buy a limited amount, so if I eat more than I should in a sitting, or over a few days, then it runs out and I have none for the rest of the week or fortnight.

However, while I don't weigh or log food or exercise, I do weigh myself! If my weight starts to increase, it means I have to cut back on discretionary foods (like chocolate!) and/or change my eating/fasting ratio; ditto in reverse if my weight starts to decrease too much. I also track other measurements (hips, waist, etc), but less regularly, so does not feel like a lot of time or effort.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I don't weigh my food or measure it any more. I have several preset meals that I eat regularly where the only thing I might change is the vegetable. My regular diet is pretty repetitious, so logging doesn't take any time at all. My 'medium banana' or potato or apple entries work fine, without needing an exact weight. Sometimes the banana is bigger than medium, sometimes it's smaller. I don't need absolute accuracy. It has worked for me, since I've been maintaining for several years.