For the love of Produce...

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I went to the store today and only got pretty grape tomatoes, a jumbo avocado, 2 small heads of broccoli, and a bunch of kale. I looked at the asparagus, but it was only the really thick kind. I feel like I need more variety...
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    That bagna cauda recipe is given as a modern starter, but a traditional bagna cauda full meal would have been eaten from a cauldron with everyone sat around the fire with bread dipped in it too. Eggs would have be scrambled in the last of the sauce for some protein.
  • acpgee
    Or to be accurate, traditionally bagna cauda is eaten two handed. One for dipping in vegetable, and the other holds bread under it to catch any drips as you transport from communal pot to your own plate. When the bread get soaked, it's eaten too. Eggs are scrambled in the dregs of the sauce and served last.
  • acpgee
    We actually still have some produce markets open near me in East London but I kind of miss selecting my own fruit and veg. If you touch it, you buy it.
  • acpgee
    Bagna Cauda served as a starter, so without the bread.
    q3wfozaqpwkd.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,123 Member
    Artichokes are almost ready to eat!

ujv22kpbx07c.jpg
  • quietriver
    quietriver Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 2020
    I currently love Granny Smith apples. Roasted Chick peas are so good it's almost sinful! I love cooked spinich with lemon juice. Strawberries last maybe a day at my house. The same with broccoli.

I made an awsome broccoli and beef stirfry that tasted just like take out. ^_^ such a treat. Baked and mashed potatoes are also lovely.

Home made hummus is so good. 😄 I need to switch out the chips for cucumber if I can stand it.

• acpgee
    Day 16 after sowing peas and popcorn for microgreens. I planted a slice of tomato in the background that hasn't germinated yet. The pea shoots are in a roasting tin because I switched to bottom watering.
    ua0a3150marn.jpg
  • acpgee
    The fancy veg score. Very pleased to find this stuff.
    s79cfnm8vrnw.jpg
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,533 Member
    @acpgee @mtaratoot I want to come over for artichokes! I wish I had the room to grow them! I put buckets on the walkway just so I could grow Gutahs (Armenian cukes) and peppers, heirloom tomatoes are way behind size-wise but I planted them too as well as doubling my herb garden. I'd love to grow artichokes!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    When you get your stock home and realise the fridge/freezer is on the blink... yikes. Repair person on the way, cross all the things for me.

mpnhksrrkilx.jpeg
    4lob84bhs3uf.jpeg
    Bonus:
    dxwypt85lr2d.jpeg

• acpgee
    When you get your stock home and realise the fridge/freezer is on the blink... yikes. Repair person on the way, cross all the things for me.

You probably want to have some of the fragile leafy stuff tonight but I would be tempted to make the asparagus.

• acpgee
    Planning to steam the artichokes we have to dip in hollandaise tomorrow as a starter. Any ideas on a main to have afterwards? Thinking of a simple pasta such as cacio e pepe but would welcome ideas.
  • acpgee
    Steamed artichokes with hollandaise.
    ki1u5ywz9rhp.jpg
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Not sure if anyone has posted about fiddleheads, but my dad recently turned me on to them.

cq0lsp58m36f.png

sauteed in butter... similar in taste to green beans/brussels sprouts

I have never seen these before😲
  • acpgee
    Not sure if anyone has posted about fiddleheads, but my dad recently turned me on to them.

sauteed in butter... similar in taste to green beans/brussels sprouts

I grew up eating these in Ontario and Quebec in Canada. These are immature fern heads which later become toxic as the leaves mature. I would stick to eating frozen fiddleheads for this reason. They are delicious. Similar in taste to green asparagus, if I remember correctly.