Clean Eating (Experience?)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't consider veganism as flexible as "clean eating" seems to be at all. The mandate to not eat animals or animal products seems pretty strict and the exceptions rare and based on real hard need. People claim to "clean eat" who eat processed stuff daily, so I think it's more virtue signaling or (as said before) non understood diet jargon vs any real dietary restriction. It's as if someone claimed to be a vegan but ate eggs and fish most days since those are good for you and didn't bother looking at the ingredients in some low cal sauces and consumed whey protein powder since the others aren't as low cal, which would be completely incoherent.

My two cents: the "possible and practicable" part of veganism is often cited within the vegan community, but I'd be hard-pressed to describe that as flexibility on the underpinnings of the philosophy. It's more like acknowledging that it's impossible to fully avoid some entanglements with animal exploitation in the world as it is currently arranged. It's very much not like deciding that a particular processed food counts as "clean" because you really, really like it.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,971 Member
    edited June 2020
    For me, clean eating means lots of fruits and veggies, and as little processed food as possible.

For instance, I make soup and sauces from scratch instead of buying them canned, because canned foods are higher in sodium.

I try to use mostly fresh or frozen veggies for the same reason.

I DON'T do a lot of wheat pasta or quinoa instead of rice and stuff like that because I cook for my family, and I don't want to push a bunch of stuff on them they might not like. But when I do have starchy carbs, I have them in moderation.

I have found that when I eat clean, I can eat a lot MORE food and feel fuller longer.

Don't know if it would help, but here's an example of my type of "clean" eating:

Breakfast:
    2 eggs and 2 egg whites, scrambled with onion, pepper, tomato, spinach & zucchini, goat cheese crumbles on top, and half an apple - 300ish calories

Lunch:
    Homemade chicken soup & a slice of sourdough bread with hummus & cucumber slices - 380 calories

Snack:
    Smoothie - Frozen mixed berries, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup almond milk 115 calories
    (If this is a post workout snack, I might add a little protein powder)

Dinner:
    BLT salad with shredded cheddar cheese & avocado ranch dressing - 303 calories

This actually leaves 100 calories "out there" to play with. I didn't include a dessert. Plus, if you're active, you can eat back some of the calories you burn. Some people would exclude the bread and the cheese to be even "cleaner," but I like those small indulgences.

I think the definition is very personal and different for everyone. I went through a phase where I was overly anxious about everything I ate and I didn't like the stress I was putting myself under. The example above is full of foods I like and enjoy, and I feel like I'm not missing out on anything in my day.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I have noticed over the years that I definitely feel better when I eat mostly unprocessed, whole foods. If I eat at restaurants too much or eat too much overly processed packaged food I get all sorts of issues with bloating and tummy aches and sluggishness. It depends on the foods of course. Some processed foods are great.

Yup, in general, the less hyper-palatable food I eat, the better I feel.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited June 2020
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I personally think there is a place for all kinds of food in my life. I do eat a lot of minimally touched foods. The other day I was working my rear off and while I was off running an errand I grabbed some fast food. I was grateful to have it because what I needed in that moment was calories to keep powering through the day.

I don't think everyone who tries to eat "clean" is virtue signalling. I think it can happen. When it does I like to remind them that it is a privilege to eat whatever they decided "clean" means.

Since I am also privileged I like to set a limit on how much processed food makes up my weekly diet. I want the bulk of my calories to come from food I prepare myself. An odd day will occur like the recent day I had fast food and Subway in the same day. I do not worry about it or the days a meal goes south on me and I pull something from the freezer. Flexibility in food means greater adherence and sustainability which helps me mentally and physically.

Yes, when I was very sick in the late nineties and "cleaned up my diet," I was not virtue signaling, I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. (That was one of several steps I took.)

How I eat makes a big difference in how I feel. (But I've never thought that this was universally applicable and proselytized.)