Exercising with a mask is harder!

I've tried a few approaches. A surgical mask (which I keep re-using, come what may) and a bandanna. In both cases, I let it slide down when I'm far away from everyone and pull it up whenever someone closes in. I've used it for running, cycling, and walking. (In addition to shopping, etc.)

1) Running with a mask is harder. Something about trapping your breath against your face and re-breathing it
2) Lots of other runners and cyclists are not wearing masks at all
3) If you can run, you probably aren't (very) sick. I know: asymptomatic people can spread the virus. But you'd have to be very asymptomatic.
4) Who knows how long it will be before we can swim again. It's very hard to swim with a surgical mask on!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I haven't seen anything stating yoh should be wearing a mask while exercising only 12' distance in some gyms.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    At our state, you have to wear a mask until you are actively exercising and then maintain 12' distance (directionally, it is in front and to the sides, but not to the back unless possible). I just heard a few hours ago that my gym has reopened, and plan to go as soon as I have the chance. I cannot wait.

I have a thinner dust mask, which I plan to use. It doesn't seem hard to breathe through.
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    I am not saying you should wear a mask- but if you are- you need to keep it on the WHOLE time.
    Please please please do not let it slide down and put it back on, you are legit breathing in everything it blocked up to the point when you slid it down.

Proper PPE wear is critical if you are actually counting on it to work- same with removal. As Howard_M_Burgerz mentioned above- the filtration isn't there- you likely aren't wearing a full face respirator which is really still questionable on how much its actually going down to on the micron level vs Covid-19. I understand some places have made them mandatory for any outside/outtings but please wear and remove it properly!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    The covid virus is a .125 micron virus. Available masks (dust and surgical) filter down to about .03 microns. So covid can easily penetrate available filtration masks.

Not when the virus is attached to droplets, which is how it's commonly contracted (source). That said, i've seen mixed studies on whether a mask can prevent infection - some say it helps, some say it doesn't. Like the saying goes "further research is needed".
    We need to preserve the supply of surgical masks for at-risk healthcare workers".

We need to preserve the masks that don't work. ;) People can make their own mask using plans from youtube.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I let it slide down when I'm far away from everyone and pull it up whenever someone closes in.

Quite apart from the debate whether using a mask outside of a health care role is actually beneficial keeping touching and reusing isn't how to use a mask/face covering.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything stating yoh should be wearing a mask while exercising only 12' distance in some gyms.

I have seen studies that found runners spread germs WAAAAY further than normal social distancing distances... I think it was up to 30'.
  • sijomial
    sijomial wrote: »
    I let it slide down when I'm far away from everyone and pull it up whenever someone closes in.

Quite apart from the debate whether using a mask outside of a health care role is actually beneficial keeping touching and reusing isn't how to use a mask/face covering.

I don't think there is any debate on if it is helpful for stopping the spread of the virus. It may not be very helpful for the person wearing the mask, it is very helpful in keeping the mask-wearer from spreading their germs.

You wear a mask to protect others, not yourself. If everyone wears a mask then everyone is protected.

World Health Organisation and many governments disagree with you.
    Some scientists are pro general wearing and some are not - the debate is definitley ongoing.

Any possible benefit is negated by misuse of PPE, such as constant handling of your mask.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2020

I have seen studies that found runners spread germs WAAAAY further than normal social distancing distances... I think it was up to 30'.

I certainly would be interested in reading current evidence suggesting specifically COVID19 spreads up to 30' by any means if you have a link.

I have read literally zero on COVID19 and because I'm very high risk as well as my family members I'm generally interested.

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Setting aside the “do face masks work / should we be wearing them” questions, a cycling anti-pollution mask may be easier to run with (not medical standard admittedly but apparently will prevent droplet infection if not aerosol). They’re designed not to impact on your breathing as much, and I’ve used one when the pollen count is high.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I've tried a few approaches. A surgical mask (which I keep re-using, come what may) and a bandanna. In both cases, I let it slide down when I'm far away from everyone and pull it up whenever someone closes in. I've used it for running, cycling, and walking. (In addition to shopping, etc.)

1) Running with a mask is harder. Something about trapping your breath against your face and re-breathing it
    2) Lots of other runners and cyclists are not wearing masks at all
    3) If you can run, you probably aren't (very) sick. I know: asymptomatic people can spread the virus. But you'd have to be very asymptomatic.
    4) Who knows how long it will be before we can swim again. It's very hard to swim with a surgical mask on!

With my area opening up, I started walking again on Monday morning. No mask.

Also some people went back to the sea from Monday morning, but I heard that some were masks and others didn't.

Would be awkward i think.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member

I certainly would be interested in reading current evidence suggesting specifically COVID19 spreads up to 30' by any means if you have a link.

I have read literally zero on COVID19 and because I'm very high risk as well as my family members I'm generally interested.

https://www.wired.com/story/are-running-or-cycling-actually-risks-for-spreading-covid-19/

Here you go.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited May 2020

I work with the public and wear a mask eight hours a day. The virus is not just spread by coughing and sneezing, but by breathing and talking. An asymptomatic person might not cough or sneeze. Researchers have sampled the air in heavily infected cities and found virus particles wafting in the air.

• sijomial

https://www.wired.com/story/are-running-or-cycling-actually-risks-for-spreading-covid-19/

Here you go.

That is part of the debate, mostly internet chatter at the moment though - it most certainly is not at this point regarded as definitive although you are of course free to take an ultra cautious approach.
    Yes it's interesting and I found the suggestion that runners or cyclists should adopt a staggered formation rather than directly behind each other if exercising together but apart.

Note the word used for possible spread is "could" and I've not seen that possibility quantified. !0% chance? 0.01% chance?
    The computer modelling I saw had the possibility of long range droplets hitting someone behind were way lower than face level.

"Normally, an unpublished paper from a research group would not get much attention. This one gained traction after one of the researchers, Bert Blocken, a professor of civil engineering at Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands and also at KU Leuven in Belgium, gave an interview to a Belgian paper and also tweeted about their results. The study has not yet been peer-reviewed or accepted for publication by a scientific journal, the normal route for researchers."
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Interesting. I don’t wear a mask, I just stay away from people. That means running back and forth across the street a lot.