Where does your mind wonder to while running?

Replies

• MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Um literally everywhere :D - this is why I workout because normally by the time I am done I am actually out of things to think about lol!
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    How horrible it is to run and how much I detest it. And if I have to run 20 more yards i might die. How boring it is and how it’s take suckiest exercise ever. This is why i have to have a podcast going... it’s the only way i can run.

Yep.... wish there was a laugh button cause I know I’ve been there before. The only way I broke this feeling was trail jogging - or sprinting.
  • RachelJay2020
    RachelJay2020 Posts: 7 Member
    I’m usually absorbed in music when on a run. But I guess I think about my GROWN kids mostly. Yup. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2020
    pondee629 wrote: »
    How horrible it is to run and how much I detest it. And if I have to run 20 more yards i might die. How boring it is and how it’s take suckiest exercise ever. This is why i have to have a podcast going... it’s the only way i can run.

There are other cardio exercises you can do. If you hate running sooooo perhaps you'd be better served searching for one and trying that.

Where did I say that was the only cardio I do?

The question was, where does your mind wander when you run? I don't run very often, but when I do, those are my exact thoughts.

Thanks for your advice, though.
  • Maryam352
    Maryam352 Posts: 6 Member
    ErickM5500 wrote: »
    What do you think about during a run or cardio session?

Food lol
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Bear, skunk, bear, dead thing, smelly slough, whered the dog go,what’s the dog chewing on, good song, bear, bear, good song, how long can I go today I love when nobody is talking to me, bear cub in tree now it’s really time to turn around. Let mamma bear sort things out. Lots of black bears this year.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member

There are other cardio exercises you can do. If you hate running sooooo perhaps you'd be better served searching for one and trying that.

The question was, where does your mind wander when you run? I don't run very often, but when I do, those are my exact thoughts.

Then why run if you hate it so much and you have alternatives? If it is horrible to run and after 20 yards you feel like you're going to die, it's so boring and is the "suckiest"; why do it?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Let it go @pondee629
  • pondee629
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Let it go @pondee629

Why? I'm curious why someone would do something that is the "suckiest" when that person has already found viable alternatives.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Let it go @pondee629

Why? I'm curious why someone would do something that is the "suckiest" when that person has already found viable alternatives.

I'm curious too. I mean, I have a love/hate relationship with walking but it didn't sound like there was any love in the post. 😀
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    so many things!!!!
  • midlomel1971

Then why run if you hate it so much and you have alternatives? If it is horrible to run and after 20 yards you feel like you're going to die, it's so boring and is the "suckiest"; why do it?

What part of 'I don't do it very often' do you not understand?
  • pondee629

Why do it at all is what I don't understand. And then why complain about it.
  • midlomel1971

Why do it at all is what I don't understand. And then why complain about it.

Like I've said repeatedly, I do it rarely. It's hard to go through life without running, especially when you have kids or want to participate in the occasional 5K fundraiser.

Why do you have to relentlessly badger someone over a light-hearted answer to a random question on the internet? Get a life already.

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    i started running during the lockdown so my thoughts are generally different variations of “omg i’m dying”. the bus stops i pass are my yardsticks so i occasionally have thoughts like “omg it’s still so far away” as well.

To bring this thread back to track... @sashimimaniac you have nicer yardsticks than I do! I go by lampposts, like ”yeah I can make it to that one”. Related, I often also think about how much running sucks because my endurance is so low still, and how nice it’s gonna be when my fitness levels improve and I can enjoy the run without my lungs wanting to slam the brakes.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    I feel like usually I’m not thinking about anything, just focusing on the run. It’s nice to not really think about anything for part of my day. Really helps when I’m feeling a lot of anxiety
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm with @midlomel1971 on this one. I don't like the act of running. It's hard for me and I've never been a runner my whole life. I just completed C25K and I still don't think of myself as a runner, per se. So while I do not enjoy the activity of running, I have gotten to the point where I can run decently and I LOVE the feeling of accomplishment I get at the end of a run! Does that make sense?

EDIT: And to answer the original question, thank God for podcasts! Otherwise it's like every minute is dragging on for an eternity! But I can zone out and listen to fun and interesting stuff for 30+ minutes! Win win!
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    briscogun wrote: »
    I'm with @midlomel1971 on this one. I don't like the act of running. It's hard for me and I've never been a runner my whole life. I just completed C25K and I still don't think of myself as a runner, per se. So while I do not enjoy the activity of running, I have gotten to the point where I can run decently and I LOVE the feeling of accomplishment I get at the end of a run! Does that make sense?

EDIT: And to answer the original question, thank God for podcasts! Otherwise it's like every minute is dragging on for an eternity! But I can zone out and listen to fun and interesting stuff for 30+ minutes! Win win!

My husband jokes that my favorite part of running is complaining about the running. Sometimes I love the run, sometimes I hate the run. But I do always love how I feel after!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I count my breaths/steps. I have a breathing rhythm which helps me avoid side stitches. :lol:
  • midlomel1971
    briscogun wrote: »

This is so me, except that I'm not quite at the point where I can run decently. I keep trying though! The feeling at the end is amazing. It makes total sense.