Keto diet anyone?

I am thinking about trying the keto diet as I look into more information about it I wonder more. Has anyone tried the keto diet? And what was there experience ?

Replies

• daizylene
    daizylene Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2020
    I've been planning too to try the Keto diet. I've read that it has many health benefits,not just for weight loss. I've also saw many people saying that they reached their fitness goal with Keto.
    Based on research and studies, here are some major benefits of a Keto Diet.
    1. Weight loss.
    2. It takes the edge off your appetite.
    3. Improved ability to focus.
    4. You feel more energetic.
    5. It helps you fight Diabetes.
    6. You get improved levels of good cholesterol.
    7. You get better blood pressure.
    You can also check out the link for the articles that I've read about Keto.

https://healthforall357018094.wordpress.com
  • CindyP10034
    CindyP10034 Posts: 3 Member
    I am thinking about trying the keto diet as I look into more information about it I wonder more. Has anyone tried the keto diet? And what was there experience ?

Hi mandymadril9 !
    I have done keto before, and I’ve rejoined MFP because I want to try it again. If you’re interested in being keto pals, I’m here!

For me, in my experience when I did it before, keto was effective in helping me to break my sugar/carb addiction. And breaking that addiction/ sticking to that diet allowed me to adhere to a calorie plan that led to weight loss.

I did eventually “slide”.... I ended up losing a ton of weight and feeling so confident that I began to reintroduce carbs and sugars. Then I met with a personal crisis (not diet related) that triggered my old addictive response. I gained all the weight back.

One thing that led to my initial “slide” was beginning to seek out premade keto snacks. This time I intend to avoid the kinds of prepackaged keto snacks that mimic sugar/carb laden foods. Even if the keto snacks themselves were ok, they kept me in the mindset of wanting chips, cookies, etc.

Your mileage may vary depending on the food choices that have led you to want to diet : )
  • pence429
    pence429 Posts: 28 Member
    Been eating keto for years. Personally, I find keto wonderful. It is exceptionally easy for me to stick to--even with work, kids, grandkids, traveling, eating out, celebrations, and lots of food phobias. Lots of folks here seem to have strong anti-keto feelings. I'm surprised not to see graphs posted about "fad diets" and how only calories matter, a couple of "CI<CO hard stop" comments, or claims that keto is a fad that is too hard to maintain posted yet. For sure, keto can be weight loss, maintenance or weight gain.

My thoughts:

1. Absolutely! Over a hundred pounds and counting. I also work out (cardio and weight training) six days a week.
    2. Absolutely. It took me awhile to get used to not feeling hungry when I thought I should. Really helped me get in touch with what it feels like to really be hungry, not just having an emotion that I would have previously tried to quash with food (anxiety, sad, happy, boredom, etc.) Now I work to practice mindful eating.
    3. I've never noticed this myself. It is widely reported as a subjective finding.
    4. I've definitely noticed this, likely a combo of not feeling bloated, crampy and fatigued by carbs and less fatigued by carrying so much extra weight. Increased endurance from cardio
    5. TCR is an evidenced based medical intervention for T2D independent on weight loss. It is recommended to initiate TCR before medications. For those already on medications, TCR can allow titration off of medications. Study after study can be reviewed at American Diabetic Association and Canadian Diabetic Association.
    6. True for most people; most see raised HDL and lowered LDL. Small subset of outliers who show elevated triglycerides for unknown reasons with unknown long term consequences. See above organizations for source studies.
    7. True for some. Likely related to weight reduction and decreased sodium intake. It is important to watch your sodium intake on keto, you will likely have a significant decrease in intake as a bulk of highly processed foods are eliminated.

One more thought...I transitioned to keto ( 20 carbs or less daily) over a six week period under the guidance of my RD. I cut my carbs to 100 for 1 week, then 75 for 2 weeks and then 50 for 2 weeks and then down to 20 carbs. I think this helped my adjust mentally and physically.
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    daizylene wrote: »
    I've been planning too to try the Keto diet. I've read that it has many health benefits,not just for weight loss. I've also saw many people saying that they reached their fitness goal with Keto.
    1. Weight loss.

There is a lot of woo in this post.
    1. Keto does not lead to weight loss. Only eating less calories than your body needs does. Some people eat less on keto, but others eat more as the food portions tend to be smaller
    2. no it doesn't. It does for some, but other people would constantly feel hungry. Some people thrive on a diet high in fat, others love protein, others again feet satiated most with carbs. You can't generalize as everyone is different.
    3. There is no scientific proof of that. Many people feel a sense of improved focus if they focus more on something and believe it's good. That's a placebo effect.
    4. No, not everyone does. See 2.
    5. Weight loss helps against diabetes type 2. Eating less simple carbs is likely a good thing as it prevents blood sugar spikes. But there's no reason to eat keto.
    6. no idea.
    7. weight loss is a major player in regulating blood pressure. Plus on the onset, keto messes with electrolytes in not a good way, which again have an influence on blood pressure. Don't do keto when you have addisons or any other salt wasting condition!
    8. Lots of woo without scientific proof.

And
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    1. Weight loss.

So some random blogger on the internet puts up a site, makes a lot of incorrect claims about a diet and you want everyone to jump on the bandwagon with you (I did go cruise her site and reading all the nonsense she has posted there made my head hurt)... You will also note that she is making those claims on her own and has no links to any proof of the claims that she makes.

Both of these. Honestly, keto is just a choice in foods and a specific lifestyle.. it works best for people who already eat close to that way..

Unless you count your calories, keto isnt going to just magically melt your fat away and cure all, like some people claim, sprinkling it with glitter like its magical.

... it's supposed to be about heart healthy fats and instead you have a million posts on pinterest of recipes trying to replicate foods you would eat with carbs of things wrapped in bacon and made almost entirely of cheese... with such calorie dense foods like these even a saucer is going to look huge compared to the portions youd be able to eat of them.. and again... still gotta count those calories..

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2020
    1. Weight loss.

1. Keto does not lead to weight loss. Only eating less calories than your body needs does. Some people eat less on keto, but others eat more as the food portions tend to be smaller
    2. no it doesn't. It does for some, but other people would constantly feel hungry. Some people thrive on a diet high in fat, others love protein, others again feet satiated most with carbs. You can't generalize as everyone is different.
    3. There is no scientific proof of that. Many people feel a sense of improved focus if they focus more on something and believe it's good. That's a placebo effect.
    5. Weight loss helps against diabetes type 2. Eating less simple carbs is likely a good thing as it prevents blood sugar spikes. But there's no reason to eat keto.
    6. no idea.
    7. weight loss is a major player in regulating blood pressure. Plus on the onset, keto messes with electrolytes in not a good way, which again have an influence on blood pressure. Don't do keto when you have addisons or any other salt wasting condition!

I find it fascinating that you talk about woo and then most your answers are just as nonsense.

1. You are being overly pedantic. We all know that calorie deficits cause weight loss. Statically, low carb and Ketogenic diets have been shown to be quite effective, especially short term for weight loss. Why, because they do often suppress appetite. Maybe not for you, but if you actually looks at most ad libitum studies it does show this.
    2. There does seem to be evidence that ketogenic diets suppress appetites. I used to think it didn't and after i got into the diet after a few weeks, I found i could go longer periods without eating. Now whether or not it will work with the OP, is going to be based on their own physiological response and none of us can tell them if it will or not.
    3. There is evidence of this, but all the research on this seems to be with those with neurological and autoimmune disorders. I didn't notice anything but i am not insulin resistant.
    4. Refer to number 3. I also think there are two other factors that drive this. First, people often go from a crap diet to a well designed ketogenic diet based on whole foods and second, placebo.
    5. It certainly improves glucose/insulin control. So it can support treatment of the disease but i dont think i have ever seen anything on prevention. Most is probably extrapolation as people often confuse treatment and prevention. I would note that weight loss and exercise would probably have higher statical impacts compared to the diet itself.
    6. This has been shown a lot. Typical results are reduction in triglycerides and increases to HDL. These diets are not as good for reducing LDL. But the value of LDL is questionable. Personally, my HDL doubled.
    7. Even without weight loss i saw this but not sure if it's universal and haven't researched it. I also saw reduction in RHR. So much so that my doctor asked me if i ran marathons. I rarely do cardio. My RHR was 65-75 before keto and 55-60 after. My BP was 110/70 before and 100/65 after.

Again, there is variability based on the individual.

Ultimately, ask yourself do you like a structured plan or flexible plan. If rules, even if its a start, help you sustain this path, there is no reason to not try the diet. Any of us telling you otherwise would be wrong. Why? My success is not your success. You will need to find what works for you. All diets have a 90-95% failure rate.
  • psuLemon
    1. Weight loss.

6. no idea.

And
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    1. Weight loss.

So some random blogger on the internet puts up a site, makes a lot of incorrect claims about a diet and you want everyone to jump on the bandwagon with you (I did go cruise her site and reading all the nonsense she has posted there made my head hurt)... You will also note that she is making those claims on her own and has no links to any proof of the claims that she makes.

Both of these. Honestly, keto is just a choice in foods and a specific lifestyle.. it works best for people who already eat close to that way..

Unless you count your calories, keto isnt going to just magically melt your fat away and cure all, like some people claim, sprinkling it with glitter like its magical.

... it's supposed to be about heart healthy fats and instead you have a million posts on pinterest of recipes trying to replicate foods you would eat with carbs of things wrapped in bacon and made almost entirely of cheese... with such calorie dense foods like these even a saucer is going to look huge compared to the portions youd be able to eat of them.. and again... still gotta count those calories..

I want to stress the last paragraph. So many go into keto and go down the path of fat bombs and desserts only to create foods just as bad as their previous diet. And by doing so, they eat a crap ton of unnecessary calories and prevent weight loss. If you try it OP, remember things like fat bombs, cakes, donuts, etc... Should be rare treats or occasionally fit into your calories. They should not be your focus.
  • psuLemon

I have done the keto diet. I run a Cyclical Ketogenic Diet with diet breaks every so often (like this weekend). I started at 178 and now at 165-167. This is the lowest weight i have been since high school. When I flex, i can see a six pack (that was built in a gym). I find when i commit to whole foods and stay away from snacking, its very easy to lose weight. I also ensure I focus on high protein and getting most of my carbs from fibrous ones (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, leafy greens, chia seeds, nuts, avocados, etc....). I work on consuming fish 2-3x or more, especially those high in omega 3. I don't use refined oils. I use olive and avocado. I do cook in ghee and minimize processed meats.
  • erinlane93
    erinlane93 Posts: 170 Member
    Hey! I started keto eight days ago, nearly half a stone down! Add :)
  • Chillotaku
    Chillotaku Posts: 8 Member
    I love keto, it's always been great for me. I find it very hard to eat, im satiated all the time. I started doing OMAD (one meal a day). I fast and have a 2 hr eating window. I still get a variety of delicious healthy foods.

some helpful info below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBw2rdwBfZE&amp;authuser=0
    oxcedlrnbrfi.jpg
    lt0rqyubcftr.jpg
  • reducingrenee622
    reducingrenee622 Posts: 48 Member
    edited June 2020
    I think doing research is super smart when starting a new diet! Your body makes changes when you change your dietary intake and it is smart to know and understand what is happening. I did a lot of research before I started, and I'm very glad I did. I learned about vitamin deficiency (something I probably wouldn't have thought of), learned many tips and tricks, learned the ins and outs of macros, and am still learning different ways to eat foods to manage ketosis.

My experience has been a very good one. Honestly, I hadn't read many negative reviews of Keto until looking in the "community forum" here on MFP. I really encourage as much education on the topic before just completely changing your diet, including doing your own research outside of MFP and gaining your own opinion on the subject.

What I personally feel about keto:
    1. I feel less hungry overall.
    2. I feel SO much better. Way more energy, way less lethargic.
    3. Keto is responsible for 20 pounds of my weight loss in a 2 month time frame. Along with this, I lost 2 pant sizes as well.
    4. Keto is much easier to navigate while eating at restaurants. This is something I STRONGLY struggled with on other diets.
    5. Calorie deficiency is still important!! I track my food on two diet trackers. I use MFP to keep a close eye on my calorie intake/exercise logging. I use Carb Manager to track my macros for me. Although Carb Manager does track calories, I feel like MFP is easier to navigate on your phone and is a little more accurate in that category.
    6. Everyone is different. What works for me might not work for you.