Vegetarians!!!πŸ˜‹

What do eat to include more protien in your diet?
I recently started a goal to eat more protien roughly 40% and 30% fats and carbs? Is this realistic? I haven't been able to meet that goal yet. I find I eat mostly carbs (like almost 50%) and fat. I still eat healthy, vegies, fruit, whole grain. I still struggle eating enough protien. What do you do? Any ideas are greatly appreciated <3

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I also shoot for 20% protein. My major protein sources are beans, tofu, tempeh, and seitan, rounded out with the protein that is in vegetables and grains.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    The MFP default, at 20%, is OK for most people. If you want to be more structured about it, and your goal is losing weight, you might shoot for around 0.6-0.8g per pound of a healthy goal weight (which is loosely equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass for most people). If you find that to be different from 20%, set your MFP percent to whatever gives you a close gram number, and adjust whatever other macronutrient number is less important to your energy level and satiation to compensate.

Protein is important. It's good to hit a reasonable number, on average, most days. If you're short, review your diary for foods that are not as important to you that are higher in calories (but don't have much protein), and gradually work at substituting other foods you like that have more protein.

This thread is a good resource, as you do that:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Best wishes!
  • nondairymilkshake
    nondairymilkshake Posts: 1 Member
    I do a protein shake in the morning, and usually a third a block of tofu a day with other stuff. I have found as a vegetarian I can completely eliminate my typical carb items (bread, pasta) and still get carbs from my protein sources and veggies. That changed my ratio when I wanted more protein.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I personally feel like 20% is enough for most people so that's where I'm at (60/20/20) but my main sources of protein are tofu, black beans, chickpeas, lentils and peanut butter, which go alongside the lower (but it still adds up over the day!) protein that's in things like grains & vegetables. If I want a really high protein meal, I like making seitan. It's a very cheap, extremely high protein alternative to meat. My favourite ways to make it are for things like sausages, chorizo and "meat" textures for things like stir frys. I also have protein powder which can be used to make smoothies, or added to things like oats and/or baking.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    40% is a bit much even for a meat eater (provided your calorie budget isn't very low). I'm not vegetarian but my diet is mostly plants and I find high protein unsustainable. I find snacking on high protein snacks (lupin beans in my case) helps a lot. When you introduce bits of protein here and there it adds up, it doesn't have to be one big meal of protein.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Eggs, dairy (cheese and greek yogurt), lentils, beans, seeds, peanut butter, unsalted cashews (only 1 oz. gives you 5 grams of protein), protein powder (I consume chocolate/peanut butter whey, unflavored, pea and hemp depending on what I'm eating or drinking) helps me to easily reach my protein goals daily without eating any meat/fake meats.

I incorporate the above and make them into meals. Such as I make black bean or chickpea burgers, I add unflavored protein powder to my rolled oats, I make filling protein smoothies and I make my own protein bars just to name a few.