Can you eat a chocolate bar everyday and still lose weight?

kbk1335
kbk1335 Posts: 67 Member
Just something I’ve really wanted to know: For example, if you eat a 250 calorie chocolate bar everyday single day, but still manage to overall be in a caloric deficit, can you still lose weight? Sound off below!

Replies

• darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Of course.
  • Cyberbartender
    Cyberbartender Posts: 1,319 Member
    Yes :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Why wouldn't you? Is the thought that chocolate somehow has the ability to cancel out a calorie deficit?
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Yes. Even ice cream.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Yes, but after you get going, you may not want to. If you still want to, go ahead.
    But you may find you get more satisfaction eating another 100 calories of protein, another cup of salad, more veggies, and
    Still have enough calories left for a chocolate kiss.
    Or trade your one candy bar for one apple, one orange, a few crackers with cheese, and a mini chocolate chip cookie.
    Your choice.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    Yes you can, but what I've always found eating these less nutritionally balanced choices are , it either causes me to binge or it doesn't fill me up like Whole Foods do.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    I would by a chocolate at the beginning of the week and have a piece every night for dessert...

Did it for years when I was trying to really lose
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    I've eaten some chocolate almost every day of my life. I prefer high-quality dark (70% cacao) pure chocolate with (perhaps) some unsalted mixed nuts on the side.

If you have trouble controlling how much you eat (of any item), you can

1) Ban that item from your house
    2) Buy smaller servings of that item (Ghirardelli singles are a pretty good choice)
    3) Make smaller "snack bags" with known calorie content to eat when needed. Put their ingredients as a "meal" in MFP.

Example of 3): .3oz 70% cacao chocolate + .5oz unsalted mixed nuts (123kcals). Weigh out servings and put in sandwich bags. This is a small snack in volume, but extremely satisfying. I will often have it with chamomile tea in the evening.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    250 calories in chocolate ? I wish I could 'afford' that daily
  • bluej85
    bluej85 Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2020
    Get the fun sized chocolate bars. Last time I got seriously into calorie counting I lost 26 lbs while eating chocolate almost every day. I would budget myself up to 4 of the KitKats, coming out to 280 calories and refraining from a couple if I decided I'd rather squeeze in a few more calories from some other source. (It was a lot easier to do that with the smaller portions since if I open a full sized candy bar, my brain tells me I just HAVE to eat the whole thing...)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    250 calories in chocolate ? I wish I could 'afford' that daily

If someone's calorie goal is high enough that 250 calories of chocolate a day is reasonable for them and doesn't impact their nutritional needs, that means there is a lower number that would be appropriate for you. IMO, it's not really worth getting bothered about people out there who can eat a lot more than us -- it's easier just to figure out what *I* can eat and enjoy that.
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    bluej85 wrote: »
    Get the fun sized chocolate bars. Last time I got seriously into calorie counting I lost 26 lbs while eating chocolate almost every day. I would budget myself up to 4 of the KitKats, coming out to 280 calories and refraining from a couple if I decided I'd rather squeeze in a few more calories from some other source. (It was a lot easier to do that with the smaller portions since if I open a full sized candy bar, my brain tells me I just HAVE to eat the whole thing...)

This- or the "minis" . For example Snickers is only 60 cals and its honestly the perfect amount to satisfy my craving.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yes, you can.

Throw all dieting dogma out the window. Rid yourself of food rules and regulations, those are mostly made by someone who wants to sell a dieting program to others using slick marketing tricks.

Create your own food management program. Do everything on your own terms. Stop listening to anyone tell you what you can do with foods you've always enjoyed and will continue enjoying for the rest of your life. Your tastes and personal preferences belong only to you.

Bottomline: We can to learn to moderate ourselves with foods. All foods. Until we learn this skill without slapping more food guilt on we will continue dieting and starting over for the rest of our lives. I'm not going out like that.
    No one puts baby in a corner or tells me what I can or cannot eat. I'm through with all of it.

So learn to manage that chocolate bar like a boss. Let everyone else eat your dust because you will not be deterred. You will go on with or without the opinions of others telling you how to micromanage every bite you take and every move you make.

Take back your freedom and set yourself free from all food rules and regulations. They might work in the short term but they're useless for the long term. We will always go back to the foods we enjoy. Moderate those foods and manage the portions. Winning = long term stability with weight and foods.

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I have a headband that says “I run for chocolate” because some days that treat is what gets me out the door :D I started with a fairly low calorie “budget” and would have a bag of mini snickers (80 caps each) in the freezer for an evening treat if I had enough calories left. Another thing I do is keep peanut M&M’s on hand and log 10 calories per piece... you just have to keep yourself honest and not sneak an extra few here and there because they do add up, and FAST!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    I have basically done this. Minus the days where I feel like something else like chocolate eggs or whatever.

Dropped 90 lbs.