Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Bagels or doughnuts?

Replies

• irishsalt
    irishsalt Posts: 8 Member
    Bagels!

Price Chopper has these asiago and parmesan cheese ones and I just can't resist them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,609 Member
    For some reason, it just came to mind that years back, a bagel place here made something they called a "fragel". It was a bagel - I think maybe cinnamon raisin? - but deep-fried on the spot and immediately rolled in cinnamon sugar, served warm. They had really nice, chewy bagels, too, as the basis - not the bread-y soft things that are the standard around here now (so meh).

I'm not mostly a big fan of sweet baked goods, and not a donut fan at all, but I remember the fragels fondly, and would try one again, if offered.
  • SteppenFetchit
    SteppenFetchit Posts: 39 Member
    In the past, I'd have said both!

😆😆😆
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Hands down bagels, but only NY style.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I want a GOOD bagel so bad! Anyone in Oklahoma know where I can get one? After reading this post a while, Panera just
    Isn’t cutting it!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I want a GOOD bagel so bad! Anyone in Oklahoma know where I can get one? After reading this post a while, Panera just
    Isn’t cutting it!

I agree, Panera doesn’t have the best bagels. I always get an orange scone there. Brueggers is open if you have them in OK.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,821 Member
    I feel for anyone who lives in a bagel desert. I kind of did for a couple decades. Yeah, there was Noah's, Bagel Sphere, and New York Bagels, but no REAL bagels. Then my favorite shop reopened after twenty years. Yay!

I think I'm making up for lost time.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    are the donuts Krispy Kreemes?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I went out looking for bagels this morning. I drove past Best Donuts, so stopped and got the best donut in OKC since I was there. It was good. It will probably hold me for another 2-3 years. Found Old School Bagels. No lox, no capers, just bagel sandwiches with sausage and egg, etc. no thanks. I got a dozen bagels to go. I took them out to the car and opened the bag.
    Hmmm. Looks like Panera. Took a bite. Good bagel! For OKlahoma. I recommend them. Now to find some salmon.
  • mtaratoot
    Took the bicycle downtown to pick up accumulated mail and make a weekly stop at Yonder Bagel Shoppe. Riding a bike is the best kinetic way to get there.

I locked the bike to itself and went in. I told them I knew I wanted a poppy seed bagel, but couldn't decide if I wanted lox or pastrami, and to surprise me. They fellow that was helping me almost told me what HE likes best. I like 'em both. Anyway, he stopped short of telling me and told me he'd surprise me. He picked a nice looking poppy seed bagel over to the prep counter, sliced the bagel in half, and then stopped, looked up and said he could put lox on one half and pastrami on the other half.

Brilliant! Indecision for the WIN!

And throw in a Firestick for good measure (bagel dough from a jalapeno bagel, but rolled into a stick shape without a hole, rolled in cheddar, and baked). Bring it all home, mix up a Bloody, and...

czwcf7vo1llp.jpg

Happy Sunday!
  • melissatwill
    melissatwill Posts: 246 Member
    How can this even be a discussion.. lol.. Doughnuts win my vote every time! When that “HOT” sign is on @ Krispy Kreme; totally lures me in every time (thankfully I don’t live near one).

I do love bagels as well; a little cream cheese sprinkled with “Everything but the Bagel” seasoning. Admittedly; I’ve never bought a fresh one from a bagel shop, maybe that’s why they come in second?!
  • mtaratoot
    How can this even be a discussion.. lol.. Doughnuts win my vote every time! When that “HOT” sign is on @ Krispy Kreme; totally lures me in every time (thankfully I don’t live near one).

I do love bagels as well; a little cream cheese sprinkled with “Everything but the Bagel” seasoning. Admittedly; I’ve never bought a fresh one from a bagel shop, maybe that’s why they come in second?!

I think you've found the reason. I recommend going to find a really good bagel shop to find out.
  • ecjim

Krispy Kreme - The lady knows good donuts
  • melissatwill
    melissatwill Posts: 246 Member
    ecjim wrote: »

Who can resist hot fried sugar dough?😃 Actually my favorite donut shop is a local bakery near me; they make the most amazing yeast donuts that I’ve ever had!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,609 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I think you've found the reason. I recommend going to find a really good bagel shop to find out.

To my amusement, I heard a thing on NPR the other day suggesting that New York City bagels are better because of something about the water. :lol: (It was a total aside, and pretty much intended as a joke, but in context of a larger story about the effects of local microflora/microfauna and local water mineral-content on foods' flavor/structure and such - I think it was on Science Friday, but I don't recall for certain.)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »

To my amusement, I heard a thing on NPR the other day suggesting that New York City bagels are better because of something about the water. :lol: (It was a total aside, and pretty much intended as a joke, but in context of a larger story about the effects of local microflora/microfauna and local water mineral-content on foods' flavor/structure and such - I think it was on Science Friday, but I don't recall for certain.)

Many transplanted New Yorker business owners actually have NYC water shipped to them to use in their bagels or pizza dough. Most NYers will tell you it's the water.
  • ecjim
    ecjim wrote: »

Who can resist hot fried sugar dough?😃 Actually my favorite donut shop is a local bakery near me; they make the most amazing yeast donuts that I’ve ever had!

It's addictive -
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,306 Member
    edited August 2020
    I mentioned early in this thread that I found out in my fifties that I was Celiac and miss donuts. Well, leave it to the Italians (pizza!), but they have an Italian Gluten free flour called Caputo that I have been buying from Amazon. Oh, it's not cheap (like 10 bucks a small bag) but it tastes just like real flour and rises just like real flour. So amazing. I've already made pizza, Belgium Waffles (with real Belgium Beet Sugar), and soft pretzels. So much better than Udi's nasty cracker crust. Tasted like a real NY Style pizza. I'm also making a small Chicago pan style pizza soon.

Next up, a Crispy Creme like, cream filled donut with some chocolate icing. Good thing this flour is expensive!
  • MFPUser73629
    MFPUser73629 Posts: 224 Member
    Krispy Kreme fresh off the assembly line.
  • ONUnicorn
    ONUnicorn Posts: 41 Member
    That depends - which is better quality?

Is rather have a really good donut than a really good bagel anyday. But I'd rather have a really good bagel then a mediocre donut. Honestly, I'd rather have a mediocre bagel than a mediocre donut. And if it's a lousy donut or bagel, then I don't want either.