Is 0 Carbs right for Keto?

Options
imgritz
imgritz Posts: 47 Member
I hired a nutritionist for the last 5 months. She calculated Carbs 20%, Protein 40%, Fat 40%. I've lost 5 pounds and struggle to lose more.

Everyone tells about their success on Keto. My Keto calulator tells me Carbs 0%, Protein 63%, Fat 37%. How do you do 0 carbs? No fruit/No veggies? How do you get your nutrients?

Is 0 carbs for Keto correct?

Replies

• Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Carnivore diet on lesser than 20% net carbs. Keto diet is on 20% net carbs. You can eat green vegetables and berries etc
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat plants, you can get pretty close to zero carbs. I get 0g some days and other days. I do log supplements that I take and there are some with carbs (not sure why on one of them as it's a capsule and not a chew-able that needs flavor). So I get a few grams of carbs from that. Also, from electrolytes that I add to water when running (based on sweat rate, I normally add electrolyte tablets to reach 1,100mg sodium per liter when training and during races; 1,500mg in the 24 hours before races). Also, when I eat liver (like today), I get some carbs there.

If you don't eat liver and don't take supplements and electrolytes, you could follow the rest of what I do and get 0g carbs. I eat beef. For example, today was 2 meals - 73% ground beef and slice of beef liver (skip the liver and save 4g carbs). Dinner was ribeye steak. If you just had the ground beef and the steak, not the liver and not the supplements, you could actually have 0g carbs based on nutrition facts.
  • LynzesLosingIt
    LynzesLosingIt Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Keto is "generally" less than 50g of net carbs (subtract your fiber and sugar alcohols from the carb count), but I'm not sure why your calculator, if it's truly Keto, would have suggested a higher percentage of protein than fat, since Keto relies more heavily on fat intake. Again, generally speaking, your macros would somewhere be around 5% carbs, 20% protein, and 75% fat.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If you’re interested in keto try this calculator and read from this resource to help you understand
    https://mariamindbodyhealth.com/keto-calculator/
  • CBell223
    CBell223 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For keto, your carbs should be about 5%, or around 25g-30g total (or no more than 50g net). You need some carbs, just for the vitamins & minerals that come with green leafy veggies. Don't cut those out. 5 servings/day for the nutrition you need. Protein depends on your sex and LBM, but around 25% (and spread it out over the day...try not to eat more than 30g/meal). The rest, needs to be healthy fats. Eat to satiety but no more. And drink plenty of water and make sure you are getting your salt.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If you’re interested in keto try this calculator and read from this resource to help you understand
    https://mariamindbodyhealth.com/keto-calculator/

I agree. Maria Emmerich is full of good information and yummy recipes. I actually own 2 of her books so far. Love her and her husband.