Is protien smooth good for dinner?

I am lazy to cook most of the time can I drink a protien smoothie before bed

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited May 2020
    Why would it be bad to have one for dinner?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    As a personal preference I would not design a plan that has a protein shake as a meal replacement but I would certainly use one if I needed the calories and I was too tired to cook. That applies to everything though. If I need the calories there is not much I would consider to be off-limits.

However, being too tired to cook does not mean I couldn't invest a minimal effort and still eat something slightly more tangible. I would prefer to eat a sandwich than drink a shake. I try to keep boiled eggs in icebox for this kind of thing too. Peanut butter is another handy source of calories. I have had a protein shake as a meal replacement on occasion though.

With all that said as @sijomial points out this is a matter of context. For me it would be no big deal. For you it is likely it is not a big deal for a single dinner and it may not be a big deal if it will be a regular practice.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    What matters is your total diet - when you eat anything does not matter - so irelevant whether the shake is for dinner, breakfast, lunch, supper

If you like protein shakes and your overall diet, including the shake, is reasonably nutritiously balanced and calorie appropriate - no problem.

Of course that applies to any food at any meal time - is cake good for breakfast,(would not like to admit how many times that question applies to me ;) ) is an apple good for lunch, is a protein shake good for tea?

Yes or No to all of above depending on your overall diet.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Protein shakes can be healthy. The problem is they go through your digestive system quickly and 30 minutes later you are hungry again.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's hardly a balanced meal - but does it fit into an overall balanced diet for you?
    (Only you can answer that.)

I wouldn't regard any single item as good or bad without context to your overall diet and goals.

I would say it depends on what your out in it. Some of my morning smoothies are loaded with protein, healthy fats and vitamins and minerals. And I don't even use veggies.

Definitely agree that one item isn't going to make or break a diet, especially if the remainder of the day is full of nutrient dense foods.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    dmkoenig wrote: »
    Protein shakes can be healthy. The problem is they go through your digestive system quickly and 30 minutes later you are hungry again.

If OP is drinking this right before bed, I'm not sure this would be an issue (assuming they have the same response you do, which isn't a sure thing).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I wouldn't enjoy it as a regular thing (although I do smoothies -- not just protein powder and liquid -- for breakfast from time to time and enjoy that), but I certainly have on evenings when I got home late, didn't feel like cooking, or it was hot, or stuff like that.

You can make one as healthful as any other dinner (and a single meal doesn't matter much anyway).

If you are planning to do it daily, I'd just make sure it fits into your overall cal and nutrition plan.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's hardly a balanced meal - but does it fit into an overall balanced diet for you?
    (Only you can answer that.)

I wouldn't regard any single item as good or bad without context to your overall diet and goals.

I would say it depends on what your out in it. Some of my morning smoothies are loaded with protein, healthy fats and vitamins and minerals. And I don't even use veggies.

Definitely agree that one item isn't going to make or break a diet, especially if the remainder of the day is full of nutrient dense foods.

I agree it depends on what is put in the smoothie - but wonder what the chances are of someone "too lazy to cook most of the time" to put in the effort to research and then add all the extras?

Maybe the OP can clarify what the smoothie is and what their overall diet looks like?
    (If OP logs on again!)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I've had one for breakfast or lunch, so why not🤷