Is 900 cals a day okay or not?

Some ppl tell me it’s enough to keep u healthy but some tell me it’s very unsafe so idk

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    absolutely not.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Nope. Not at all.

1200 is a bare minimum and the vast majority of people need more than that. Put your info into MFP, choose to lose 1 lb a week see how many calories it gives you. Start there.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Just type your stats in the MFP web site, set for 1lb loss (if you're trying to lose weight) and go with that. It's reasonably accurate.
  • Rosie3579
    Rosie3579 Posts: 47 Member
    Agree with all the comments here. You need to eat in a way that is sustainable for the rest of your life. Eating 900 calories a day - I would be miserable, have constant cravings, feel exhausted and unable to exercise. At some point I would just throw in the towel and go on a huge binge and be much worse off physically and emotionally than when I started. Speaking to my own experience, I’m a 5’5 female and have been successful in losing 30 pounds over 4 months eating about 1600 calories daily and incorporating physical activity (strength training, walking, and enough aerobic activity to get my heart rate up for my cardiovascular health)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Not.
  • complicateme86
    complicateme86 Posts: 20 Member
    The only way that this would be recommended is under strict supervision of a doctor and a dietitian and typically to jump start a weight loss in the morbidly obese or reinitiating eating after a weight loss surgery. You have what’s called your BMR - basal metabolic rate, the amount of energy (calories) your body needs when at rest. This is the amount of calories required to keep your heart pumping, your lungs functioning, your blood flowing, etc. There is a nice long equation that we use (I work as a dietitian) to calculate this but unless you are under 5 feet tall, weigh less than 100lbs and are older, you will need at least 1200 calories for the day. If you don’t eat enough to meet your BMR, your body will go into starvation mode and everything you eat it will store. Also, your BMR becomes significantly higher when you throw exercise into the equation as well. That low of a caloric intake will also likely put you at risk for vitamin and mineral deficiencies since you are unlikely to meet your needs through diet. Just giving my two cents, not trying to preach at you, but please reconsider your daily intake.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Averaging 900 calories can possibly okay for the average healthy normal height person only in one situation: if you're a small toddler.
  • nogymhero
    nogymhero Posts: 24 Member
    Why would you even want to drop your calories to that low? What advantage would 900 be over say 1200 or even 1400 for you? Even if it was some benefit how do you sustain your weight loss in the long term?
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Not