How to increase training volume when starting out lifting weights?

I've started doing bodyweight exercises at home, but it feels like my muscles give out neurologically before I really get to tear into the muscle? I don't know how to explain it. But its left my workouts feeling unfulfilling, like mentally I can do more and I'm not getting the pump I'd like. This might be because I used to lift weights a lot years ago, and my mind & body still remembers it but is just considerably weaker now.

Anyway, what's the optimal way to increase training volume on bodyweight exercises such as pullups and pushups for example? Would doing low reps and high sets get my body used to moving its own weight.. Or should I just continue to aim for a higher number, going to failure and doing less complete sets?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Lots of nuance here especially not knowing your short or long term goals a long with your current programming including volume.

Optimal training isn't universal though there are some strategies that work for more lifters than others.

Since you have a training background of some degree, researching your training history will tell more than me giving you a random answer that works for most lifters with the info you have given so far.

High and low rep is vague to the individual and your programming and has some relative ties to your current volume.

One strategy for pull ups would to be setting a timer for something like 6-7 minutes and perform AMAP progress in volume by total reps.

Another avenue is adding a set when you hit a certain rep range. So lets say to can do 3 sets of 10-14. When you hit 3 sets of 14 with more than one in tank, add a set and work up the volume in the range again. Rinse repeat.

Many other ways more or less advanced, but your data is very low.

• RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Time under tension and technique play a role as well, increasing your time under tension instead of volume can increase muscle growth. This is what progressive calisthenics emphasizes, moving to new progressions of an exercise as you grow stronger or adding weight to the exercise with a weighted vest or chain belt.

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/how-to-maximize-strength-and-size-with-bodyweight-exercise

The Kavadlo Brothers also teach progressive calisthenics in their 16-week Get Strong book for building muscle and strength with calisthenics.
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    jambiholt wrote: »
    Anyway, what's the optimal way to increase training volume on bodyweight exercises such as pullups and pushups for example?
    Myo-reps, or any type of rest/pause strategy to increase intensity.