Self Loathing

Yesterday I did great on staying with in my calories. Today I was going good. Until I ate too many snacks tonight. Now I feel like giving up. My husband thinks this calorie counting is too ridged. Doe anyone else have trouble staying within their calories? I also find it hard to get away from my family long enough to go for a walk. I use to walk everywhere when I was growing up. Now it’s difficult just to walk around the block. Having 10 kids has really taken it’s toll on me. I just wish I could get to the point where eating healthier and exercising everyday was a routine.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited May 2020
    Can you share a little more like your height, current weight, and how much you are trying to lose?
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    ^^This^^.....my motto from the start has been, "Once I dropped all my excuses, I found my results." it's up to YOU and nobody else can make it happen.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2020
    A suggestion?

Don't try to eat at a deficit right now. Just commit to logging everything you eat before you eat it. No judging yourself! Treat it as an experiment. See what your current diet looks like. After a week or two, evaluate what you are eating. Where can you make some subtle, relatively easy changes? Maybe you could drop from four treats per day to three. Do that until it feels normal. Then drop to two treats per day. Do that until it feels normal. So on and so forth.

There's a great podcast called Half-Size Me that has tons of good information on how to lose weight sustainably. Maybe check that out.
  • mkeatonmom4
    mkeatonmom4 Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks for your help. To answer harper16 question. Iam 45 years, 194lbs, 5 ft 1 in. I put my activity level at less active. I spend my day during this quarrintine feeding my 4 younger kids their meals. Helping them complete assignments. The older kids do their on things. When I can pull myself away from the kids I am doing laundry and cleaning and doing dishes. I am not able to get it all done. A lot of my day is trying to keep the kids out of the way so I can do my housework. I also have everyone help as much as they can. But I don’t feel that it is very active. I use my phone as a pedometer but it is not always on me. My younger kids are always asking to use it and it is a tool I use for them when they earn it. I just need to find a system that works.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Yesterday I did great on staying with in my calories. Today I was going good. Until I ate too many snacks tonight. Now I feel like giving up. My husband thinks this calorie counting is too ridged. Doe anyone else have trouble staying within their calories? I also find it hard to get away from my family long enough to go for a walk. I use to walk everywhere when I was growing up. Now it’s difficult just to walk around the block. Having 10 kids has really taken it’s toll on me. I just wish I could get to the point where eating healthier and exercising everyday was a routine.

Give yourself permission to have bad days. I think it is safe to say that we all have them. I certainly have. The good news is they need not be a source of concern UNLESS they are your natural response to not eating enough the other days.

It is what you do MOST days that matter not SOME days.

Calorie counting is not inherently rigid. In fact, it can be too flexible for some people. Calorie counting starts with a budget of calories and you can spend them however you want within the limits of any medical requirements you may have. It is not low carb. It is not healthy. It can be all cake and ice cream (not advisable). Additional components are based on what you want to do and they should be viewed as optional for bad days.

Staying within your calories starts with establishing the correct budget. Select the right rate of loss not for speed but for sensibility and sustainability. If you are trying to lose weight too fast you may be making yourself miserable mentally and ravenous physically. Either of those can lead to a binge-like overfeed. Depriving yourself of food you like to eat can lead to a session of what I call "rebel eating" where you are rebelling against yourself for over-strict food choices.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Yup--anyone who can raise 10 kids can do this--a cakewalk (couldn't resist). I have 3 grown sons and I can't imagine your workload. You just need to start weighing and measuring your food for now. It does take time at first, but then it gets faster because the foods you like are registered in your diary. I know it's hard to find the time for it, but do your best. It'll help you with portion control. I'm sorry that you can't get a walk in, it would help if you could squeeze in some "me time". It helps lift your mood. Don't ever give up and just keep trying. As the younger kids grow up and need you less you may find more time. I wish you the best of luck.
  • mkeatonmom4
    mkeatonmom4 Posts: 36 Member
    So I went on the Choose my plate meal plans. I typed in everything thing I typed in here. Weight age extra... It gives me a calorie limit of 1600. This one is 1550. I think I will try and edit the calories on this app and see what happens. What are your thoughts?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    😋👍
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I have most success not counting calories but following an eating routine and rules of what to and not to eat. It works for me. I log now..just because I'm bored with the lockdown. But, in my past counting calories worked for me to lose 10 to 15 pounds..but I always gained it back and found it draining. Other people love logging and counting.
    So, don't give up..find a way that works for you. Also..if you blow it one day..just get back on track the next day. That is the real secret to success...don't get derailed for days and weeks.
  • alabastermama
    alabastermama Posts: 45 Member
    @mkeatonmom4, YOU CAN DO THIS! You have your kids help with the housework as much as they can, so have them help you with eating healthier and getting fit. Make it a family thing. If possible go for a walk with the kids(the ones that want to). Put on some music and dance with them during their break time from assignments or pop in an exercise DVD that’s good for the whole family. Make it about them too and they’ll be learning about being healthy and fit while they’re helping you.

You got this!