Macro settings for a beginner

Com4tablynm
Com4tablynm Posts: 4 Member
Needing to make some serious changes in my eating habits and need to lose quite a bit. I am 55. I weighed 417lbs 3 weeks ago and have lost 4 pounds total. The first week or so was setting up the app and getting to know how to use it. Still have some learning but getting the hang of it. My question is, where should I be with my macros to be successful. Below is my current settings.

2480 calories
297 carbs
186 protein
69 fat
30 sugar. Lowered it from 50+.

Goal is 300lbs @ 2lbs per day.

Not sure what if any weight loss occurred the first two weeks as I didn’t have a scale.

Any help on if I need to readjust my macros or keep on keeping on.

Thanks all

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I typically recommend starting with the default macros and then making adjustments based on your preferences after a few weeks of observation.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2020
    The macros you have listed sound fine.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    2lbs a day or 2lbs a week?

2lbs a day seems pretty aggressive even at your height/weight
  • Com4tablynm
    Deanna, 2 lbs a day. I thought so too but it was the most aggressive selection available and I figured why not shoot high and if not sustainable then I can always lower it.

Quicksilver, it seems like the macros are set high because I can never obtain the top 4 macros. I maybe get to the 50-60% mark. Am I still doing ok in your opinion?
  • quiksylver296
    GregTullio wrote: »
    Deanna, 2 lbs a day. I thought so too but it was the most aggressive selection available and I figured why not shoot high and if not sustainable then I can always lower it.

Quicksilver, it seems like the macros are set high because I can never obtain the top 4 macros. I maybe get to the 50-60% mark. Am I still doing ok in your opinion?

The most aggressive selection on this site? Because the most aggressive selection on this site is 2 pounds per week. Maybe you mis-read it?

I'm not sure I understand your second question. There are only 3 macronutrients, carbohydrates, protein, and fat. As for not hitting them, it's a learning curve. Just commit to logging everything you eat. After a week or so, go through your food diary and see where you can make small changes to get you closer to your goals.

For me, personally, if my breakfast isn't high protein, I'll never meet my protein goal for the day. No pancakes or waffles for me (usually). My breakfast is nearly always plain greek protein, mixed with protein powder, and frozen berries. Usually 40-50 grams of protein.
  • Com4tablynm
    You are absolutely correct. I mis read it! And yes there are only three macros. I added sugar to that list just for background info.

I guess my question is, if I am only meeting half of my macros, protein, fat, carbs and only eating about half of my calories, am I ok or do I need to force myself to meeting them.

Thanks
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,091 Member

I guess my question is, if I am only meeting half of my macros, protein, fat, carbs and only eating about half of my calories, am I ok or do I need to force myself to meeting them.

Thanks

Your goal is 2480 calories to lose 2 lbs a week. That weight loss rate is already aggressive, so no, you are not okay eating only half of your calories. If you do that, you will be starving your body of necessary nutrients and risking your health. 1280 calories is very inappropriate for a man your size (it's even inappropriate for most women except petite/older/sedentary women).

Your macros aren't goals written in stone. It's good to aim for those, but at this point and at this aggressive weight loss rate, I would focus on getting enough protein, to help preserve muscle mass. Fat is important too, our bodies need fat to function.
  • quiksylver296
    edited May 2020
    You need to eat them PLUS some exercise calories. Add some higher calorie foods to your daily intake, full fat dairy, fattier cuts of meat, peanut butter, maybe an ice cream treat at the end of the day.
  • Com4tablynm

Thanks[/quote]

Your goal is 2480 calories to lose 2 lbs a week. That weight loss rate is already aggressive, so no, you are not okay eating only half of your calories. If you do that, you will be starving your body of necessary nutrients and risking your health. 1280 calories is very inappropriate for a man your size (it's even inappropriate for most women except petite/older/sedentary women).

Your macros aren't goals written in stone. It's good to aim for those, but at this point and at this aggressive weight loss rate, I would focus on getting enough protein, to help preserve muscle mass. Fat is important too, our bodies need fat to function. [/quote]
    Lietchi wrote: »

Thanks

Your macros aren't goals written in stone. It's good to aim for those, but at this point and at this aggressive weight loss rate, I would focus on getting enough protein, to help preserve muscle mass. Fat is important too, our bodies need fat to function.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    Yes, you need to eat more! You need to eat all your calories plus those from workouts. Or do you want to damage your body and get sick?