Going into quarantine and need help

BaileyP3
BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
Next month I will be driving 9 hours to visit my dad in Canada (from NY) and once I get across the border I am required to immediately go into quarantine for 2 weeks at an Airbnb I've booked when I get to the city where he resides.
There is no one at my destination that will be able to shop for me so it's my intention to pack the car with my Ninja (for protein shakes) and my juicer. I'm in the process of trying to plan healthy eating options and would love if anyone has healthy lower carb recommendations that will survive the 9 hours in the car. I'll be away for just over 3 weeks so I'm hoping to use my quarantine time as a spa/writing retreat and I'm planning on limiting sugar and flour.

So far I have:
protein powder
almonds
chia seeds
almond butter
almond milk
seasonal fruit
seasonal vegetables
steel cut oats
eggs (in cooler)
yogurt ( " " )

Any suggestions made would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• alabastermama
    alabastermama Posts: 45 Member
    Other than what you have posted I can’t think of anything else because as @mgfit2020 posted above, you can’t take fruit across the border. And I’m guess the veggies would fall in that category as well. Food delivery will your best option.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Ladies thanks so much for this. Hadn't thought of food delivery. Actually, I go back and forth every 6 weeks under normal circumstances and have never had a problem bringing small quantities of fruit and veggies but this time I'm guessing they'll check the car. Stay safe to everyone!!!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Depending on the city, there may be instacart.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,550 Member
    My staples are/were diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, dried beans/legumes/grains, potatoes carrots garlic and sweet potatoes, pasta and pasta sauce. That leaves a lot of options open like soups and chili though it's getting a bit warm for them. Finding out if there's a local farmer's market would be great, my town's just opened though they'd been offering boxes with produce and the food was amazing and the price I pay for average produce at the local discount store.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    There's all kinds of grocery delivery but I'm in Toronto. Don't know where you are going. We are just starting to open up.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    My staples are/were diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, dried beans/legumes/grains, potatoes carrots garlic and sweet potatoes, pasta and pasta sauce. That leaves a lot of options open like soups and chili though it's getting a bit warm for them. Finding out if there's a local farmer's market would be great, my town's just opened though they'd been offering boxes with produce and the food was amazing and the price I pay for average produce at the local discount store.
    Farmers markets WOULD be great EXCEPT while the person is in quarantine. I believe the OP understands the concept and was asking for no-contact options. BTW, there’s also boxed meal delivery services like Hello Fresh, though I haven’t tried them yet.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/clearing-customs/prohibited-items/

When I drive across the border into Canada headed for Alaska can't bring those items. Your crossing must be less strict on the east coast. B)
  • mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    raw unhulled sunflowe and pumpkin seeds both geat toasted
    millet ,quinoa ,teff teff makes an easy chili and a not bad veggie burger..
    good luck enjoy the down time..