Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How does Covid-19 affect Obesity epidemic?

Replies

• corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    I think it just depends on a lot of factors. Mental Health, prior levels of activity, current priorities. Some might be too stressed worried about the pandemic to workout, some may workout more because they are stressed and working out is the one thing they can control.

Also with people being stuck inside, especially those used to working out at the gym or outside, might get stir crazy and be more inclined to walk the dog more/longer etc.

Like myself, I definitely don't want to lose my momentum with trying to build muscle, so I head straight to Walmart to get some fitness equipment. Saw some members from my gym there doing the same thing. The comraderie warmed my soul lol
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    NeahF wrote: »
    I don't have many friends that are keeping up with their exercise. My "athletic" friends, even. I wonder if this will affect sports, too, with inability to train for some people. I do know that with motivation and access (I've been blessed with a lot of gym equipment at home), it is possible to stay fit and even improve firness during this time. However, I personally see the majority of our population left at home without as much access and, frankly, less motivation. I'm seeing members of my own family grow a little wider and a little more attached to the couch and Xbox. One of these members is 15 years old and I think he should recover just fine when baseball starts back up. It might take awhile, but I think things should recover, even motivation within the gym. Right now, yes, I think the world has gained a few pounds, or I'm guessing.

Garmin's analysis based on the data from Garmin Connect indicates that folks are shifting what they are doing, but overall, fitness is finding a way. There are some sports where sport specific training will suffer or team sports cannot be played, but overall people are finding a way to be active even in the most locked down areas.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/general/the-effect-of-the-global-pandemic-on-active-lifestyles/
    https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/general/the-global-pandemic-and-active-lifestyles-part-ii/

In my area where outdoor activity is permitted, the weather is nice, and schools and daycare are all closed, I've noticed more folks out than usual walking or biking.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    NeahF wrote: »
    I don't have many friends that are keeping up with their exercise. My "athletic" friends, even. I wonder if this will affect sports, too, with inability to train for some people. I do know that with motivation and access (I've been blessed with a lot of gym equipment at home), it is possible to stay fit and even improve firness during this time. However, I personally see the majority of our population left at home without as much access and, frankly, less motivation. I'm seeing members of my own family grow a little wider and a little more attached to the couch and Xbox. One of these members is 15 years old and I think he should recover just fine when baseball starts back up. It might take awhile, but I think things should recover, even motivation within the gym. Right now, yes, I think the world has gained a few pounds, or I'm guessing.

I’m seeing the lack of sports motivation in my children. They used to be out playing soccer, baseball, basketball, and football constantly (indoors or out!) but not as much anymore. I think because they have no teammates, no games, no practices, not even our weekly pickup games with friends to look forward to. They’re out biking and playing on the trampoline, but not practicing their sports much, I suppose bc they have no real incentive/nothing to work toward on the visible horizon. The older ones are 8 and 10. Telling them they’ll get back at it in two months or so is too far away to spur things into action, I suppose.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    I'm probably an exception because of other factors, but my activity and eating has improved since the pandemic.

Same.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I've got fitter during lockdown because I have more time to work out. I have also realised that I need to work out for my mental health. On the odd day I have done nothing I have really noticed the difference. So now I do something every day, even if I don't really feel like it. I always feel better afterwards. My husband's weight loss (he is obese) has stalled, however. It's just too easy to get to the fridge.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    It has been a positive for our family. The link of going out to eat as a family or getting popcorn, coke, and candy at the movies is broken. We are cooking 95% of meals at home, making homemade treats like chocolate chip cookies from scratch that last 4 or 5 days, and cooking and cleaning up after meals as a family. My 17 year old son is down almost 35 pounds. They are bored enough to come for walks or a bike ride several days per week.
  • playhardkf2017
    playhardkf2017 Posts: 875 Member
    From a personal perspective it has helped me lose those last pounds that had a tendency to fluctuate. I’m now down to almost my lowest weight from 3 years ago and feel so much better in my own body.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    The shut down has actually been a good thing for my formerly obese teenage son. He had to stop eating fast food and restaurant meals and we broke the pattern of eating as part of an experience (Big cup of coke and bucket of popcorn at the movie theater, no quick drive through dinners, family meals at home are the norm). He has dropped 35 pounds and has been able to wear clothing that didn't fit when we went on lockdown in March. His acne has also improved. He is happy with the changes and hopes to keep it up when this is finally over. Right now most of his exercise is playing virtual reality games with his brother online. They work up a sweat playing for 45 minutes to an hour. I am encouraging him to walk and bike with me, and maybe do some of the YouTube exercise videos as well. I am using this time to eat well, get daily exercise, and work towards the goal of losing 30 pounds by my 56th birthday in January 2021.

This is awesome. Big congrats to your son, and please keep up the family routine.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I'm probably an exception because of other factors, but my activity and eating has improved since the pandemic. I walk with my kids everyday where I wasn't before. I eat all home prepared meals where I was eating out bad stuff A TON before.

This crisis has certainly brought people back to the "good old days". When I first joined MFP I was shocked to read some people's diaries and see that every meal had a restaurant brand next to it.

I eat all my meals at home. Fast food restaurants for the occasional convenience, and the number of times I've been to a restaurant with table service can be counted on the fingers of one hand in all my 54 years.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    For those of us that have or have had stress eating issues these times can be a challenge. Realizing that one may be dead in the next 30-90 days can lead to some soul searching. Showing love to my family is easier knowing one may get sick and die in short order. Losing one's ability to retire with the planned income can be stressful for most of us. Wondering what kind of world we are leaving the kids and grand kids can be a stress factor. Regaining some weight but knowing why and what to do about it helps with that issue.

The lack of any settled medical facts concerning COVID-19 has been stressful to me but now that we are starting to see the number of cases can go crazy for about 45 days then the numbers start to reverse. As millions of people are coming out of lock down there will be new break outs at first but nothing like the initial load of cases based on reports out of Asia.

Getting outside doing work with the tractors in the fresh air and no mask being needed helps lower my stress. I know many have difficulty breathing well when wearing a mask but I keep some in the vehicles for like doctor visits and shopping. I think that is important to lower stress since most of us that get COVID-19 never know it and will be spreaders if not careful.

I think more cases of type 2 diabetics are aware it is a factor in about 25% of COVID-19 deaths will lead to more understanding the causes that can lead to that health risk.

Eating out, eating at the movies and at office and church pot luck dinners is now a double concern both health and retirement funds wise.

While I may have not impact on what nations do going forward I am paying more attention to how and where I spend our smaller retirement funds. I think the net impact of this virus is going to make the kids wake up and understand if they want a better future it is going to be up to them because the baby boomers dumped on them in many ways due to our failure to lead by a good example when it comes to how to eat and to save for the next pandemic.
  • Jaxsgma
    Jaxsgma Posts: 55 Member
    You just described me. Only exercise I’m getting is climbing the walls.

Same here, climbing the walls is my only exercise right now. Now that they are opening things, I will be walking more and doing what ever exercise I can. :D

• Jaxsgma
    Jaxsgma Posts: 55 Member
    I think it's a manner of the lesser of two evils right now.

People who are already into health and fitness will, for the most part, continue to find ways to stay active and not overeat.

Those who are not will likely end up gaining weight due to being a lot more sedentary, thereby attracting the negative consequences increased body weight brings.

But keeping people as safe as possible from COVID has to be the main priority right now. I guess the world will have to deal with the fallout of a population forced to be more sedentary at some point down the road. But honestly, right now, we've all got bigger fish to air fry. ;)

I agree, keeping people as safe as possible from COVID has to be the main priority right now.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Jaxsgma wrote: »

People who are already into health and fitness will, for the most part, continue to find ways to stay active and not overeat.

Those who are not will likely end up gaining weight due to being a lot more sedentary, thereby attracting the negative consequences increased body weight brings.

But keeping people as safe as possible from COVID has to be the main priority right now. I guess the world will have to deal with the fallout of a population forced to be more sedentary at some point down the road. But honestly, right now, we've all got bigger fish to air fry. ;)

I agree, keeping people as safe as possible from COVID has to be the main priority right now.

Personally I think there needs to be a balance as people dying due to the lockdown is just as bad as people dying from the virus - in my humble opinion.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    freda78 wrote: »
    Jaxsgma wrote: »

Personally I think there needs to be a balance as people dying due to the lockdown is just as bad as people dying from the virus - in my humble opinion.

The rare death from wearing a seat belt is just as bad as one death from not wearing a seat belt, but there are many more of the latter.